Interesting Old Video

Before the railroads got rid of cabooses and rear brakemen, the brakemen can tell the engineers to increase the speed of the train after the caboose passes the end of slow speed zone. Now, how do the engineers know when to
increase the speed of the train after the last car passes the end of slow speed zone? How do engineers know when to slow down the train before the slow speed zone?

Now, how do the engineers know when to increase the speed of the train after the last car passes the end of slow speed zone?
A. distance counters built in to the speedometer.
B. knowing how long their train is and knowing where the front of the train is.

How do engineers know when to slow down the train before the slow speed zone?
Yellow flags or otherwise indicated on operating bulletins reviewed before going on duty.

That would seem the way it should work nowadays,,,,,,But I still miss my Cabooses and always will......:'(

:( I never liked not seeing if my behind was OK or not......Ive Driven with some long Trailers........Sight distance is very important, but sure can't imagine how rough it can be with 1-2 mile train so far away from your view, you hope all the Wheels are still on the Track, all the Brake Hoses are working OK, and no hot spots on your Journal Boxes........:sleep:

Let alone a Fracture brake in the Rails, or Sun Kink issue derailing your train Etc.

But I do understand Change is necessary, doesn't mean I have to like or agree with it........;)

Back