How do you maintain a steady, slow speed?

Approach_Medium

Trainz Addict
Hi;
I seem to have missed some classes when they were teaching basics of train driving...
When I'm driving pretty much any train, I have so much trouble keeping the train moving at a slow but steady speed - so as not to exceed the speed limit in a yard, etc.
I understand that driving a train isn't like driving a car - the throttle and brake need to be manipulated together, rather than alternately as in a car.
But since the throttle is notched, it is impossible to set it to just any position without holding the mouse button down on it. That is not possible if I am also using the brake lever.
It just seems that I'm doing something fundamentally wrong. Should I be using the keyboard instead of the mouse?

Your advice?
Thanks
CP

Edit: Watching a YouTube vid of someone learning to drive a diesel loco. It seems that the brake needs to be positioned in lap, and moved quickly to apply and back to lap multiple times to slow down. I think my biggest problem is that I have been leaving the brake in release instead of lap, and then applying far too much and probably for too long.
I guess a lot of practice is in order.

Last edited:
It depends on such a number of aspects that there is no easy answer. First of all I would point the attention to the engine spec configs of all cars in the trainset and tried to check/modify engine specs according to the real specs of the real cars. Of course Trainz requires to add a "Trainz" constant (multiplier) to some particular specifications because Trainz itself is not perfectly accurate regarding specs of real cars and behavior of their models in Trainz ratio.

Last edited:
With constant grade and on straight track, for a given notch and a given train mass you will always get the same speed.

Travelling at very low speeds, especially with a 8-notch throttle, will require constantly shifting from higher to a lower throttle setting and back, switching to the lower setting when you approach the (low) speed limit and to the higher one when the train slows too much. Travelling with brakes in "lap" position may also help.

Thanks guys;
My problem is that I haven't done much driving. I have spent most of my Trainz time over the years in Surveyor.
I'll play some of the quick drive scenarios to get some practice.

Back