Disk Space

jhdale65

Hi Sorry for my lack of Computer Literacy but I am concerned how much space is used for Trainz TS19 on my samsung 500gig SSD.

Local Disk C:/Program Files/ N3V = 51gig
Local Disk C:/Users/...../Appdata/Local/N3V/ =122gig
Total =173gig
Is this normal or do I have a Problem.

I only have the routes that come with the TS19 Program

Kind Regards jhdale65

Those values might well be valid if you have downloaded a large amount of DLS/ DLC content over the time you've been running the program.
However, check your Backup settings - the default is 7 and most people really don't need that number of backups.
If you have a good backup routine in place, I'd recommend setting that number of auto-backups back to just 2 or 3.
I suspect that you might have multiple installations on your N3V Trainz programs folder... the base TRS19 programs folder is typically not much bigger than ~16Gb.
On my machine, TRS19 occupies just 75.1Gb on disk, with my Userdata folder (which includes all my own content, plus built-ins and DLC packages, T:ANE routes, etc.) making up 58.5Gb of that.

That's about right, roughly 19GB plus the base data.

I just checked my TRS19 disk usage, and after cleaning out backup folders, I'm at 1-TB! 86GB is DLC, the rest is Built-in plus DLS and third-party content. It's time to start weeding out the stuff I haven't used in a decade after a full backup of course.

I've always considered 60Gb as a rough installation cost. But, if you have multiple installations as many of us have, then it can become quite storage expensive. Much of my first 2Tb HDD is for Trainz related stuff. It's probably due for another purge and restructure.

You need to add up Local + Original+packages to get the total stuff added to a base install, not just local. In my case the total comes to 292GB for TRS19, less the DLC in Packages that come to 240GB

Local is stuff modified or imported and payware from third party sites and your own created assets and routes and sessions.
Original is items downloaded from the DLS that haven't been modified.
Packages is your DLC.

Items that are modified and in Local may also duplicates in Original if you have edited a lot of DLS items.

Thus I think is responsible for the "found in multiple locations" you get on occasions when running a database repair. Not bothered checking but I would assume that would be getting rid of duplicated assets that are in Local and Original.

Thankyou all for your replies I will look at the options, and yes, I do Have 7 backups that I will Reduce. The rest of it I am not sure how to go about with in my limited knowledge.
Regards jhdale65

Thankyou all for your replies I will look at the options, and yes, I do Have 7 backups that I will Reduce. The rest of it I am not sure how to go about with in my limited knowledge.
Regards jhdale65

That's pretty much all you can do without not installing anything else in the program unless you put your data on its own hard drive like some of us have done.

But... With that said it's time for me to do a bit of clean-up even with a dedicated hard drive for TRS19 data. I have a lot of very old assets which I have accumulated over the years which haven't been used in that many years. The problem is I keep procrastinating and need to set aside the time to clean out the unused items.

Maybe I'll have a yard sale. :D

You can check if you have multiple copies of the data.

The data you are using is at the location listed at Trainz Settings \ Install \ Local Data Folder. If you look in Explorer at that location you can see what the local data folder looks like, in terms of files, subfolders etc.

That folder might be at C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\N3V Games\trs19 or it could be somewhere else.

If there are other similar folders located at C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\N3V Games\trs19 then they are additional data folders that you don't want and which can be deleted. If you are nervous about deleting things, rename those surplus folders (eg, add something to the existing name) and thoroughly test the system. If it still runs OK then those other folders are OK to delete.

Thanking you all for your replies I am pleased to report that I have saved 21gigs and that makes me much happier.

Time to invest in a larger SSD but waiting for the chance to update my computer when finances allow first.

Kind Regards jhdale65

Hi

Just for information - I've just installed TRS19 on a 250Gb SSD and a clean install before any DLC or DLS assets have been downloaded shows as about 17Gb. The userdata folder is also on this SSD which prevents the C:/ drive from getting bloated.

Regards

Brian

Back