Finding the Correct TRS2019 Environmental Settings for a Model Railroadz

jordon412

33 Year Old Railfan
I imported a route that I've been working on into TRS2019 to see what it looks like. However, wherever the layout is next to the wall, such as a shelf layout, it looks darker compared to other parts of the Route. I figure that they are in the shadow of the walls that surrounds the layout. Because of this, I reset the Environmental Settings back to their default settings. However, when I this, the ground textures seem to be 'washed out'. A good example is a concrete ground texture that I use in the parking lots on the route. In TANE, it's the proper grey color for concrete. However, in TRS2019, when I reset the Environmental Settings, the grey concrete texture becomes a bright, white area. Can anyone help me figure out how I can solve this problem?

I've just bought TRS2019 so I'm still trying to figure out how TRS2019 works. Can I please get some help?

Hi Jordon,
Modelling and shadows are a pain.

I'll try and help, but without a screenshot from you it's hit and miss.

I guess you reset using this...

Reset-Diurnal-Colour-Data.jpg

If that's what you did then that's fine.

Next step is to click on a green dot on the outer clock disc, the one before your favoured time on the clock dial.

Then, you need to adjust the lighting brightness by moving the vertical slider just above the word Thick, this will only operate if one of the green dots is lit up.

Try this for each of the commonly used green dots.

I also slide the fog density to the left, model railways don't have fog :)

Try that and report back.

Good luck.

Many, many thanks!! :) IMHO this 'Environment tutorial' is really a _must_ ! And it's really easy to follow and everybody has the chance to understand the subject in an easy to follow way. I'm happy to have read this thread otherwise I would have missed this essential tutorial.

_______
Josef

Which this post , and the countless others that are posted asking exact same question and Tony constantly linking that wiki...

Still reinforces my statement that step 1 was a failure. The implementation of TurFX/Lights is a disaster if people need to constantly come on here and ask, and now to the point Tony don't even try to explain himself and now just links to the wiki. Which now to him is "ugh here, let me get my bookmark".

This is a problem at Step 1 and 2, and I'll preach it til the end of time. The way the user controls the environment and lighting and how much tweaking he needs to do, is awful. It's not UI/UX friendly experience at all.

Last edited:
Use these setting at noon for legacy routes with spline grass and other old stuff.

taned_6.jpg

Eliminates the excessive shadowing of older assets.

taned_010.jpg

And the trees look better

taned_026.jpg

Harold

Back