British HAA Wagon Drawings/Plans

Hi Matruck. I am indeed working on a DEM, titled Selby Coal 1990, mostly using UK DEFRA 2m LIDAR data. Orthophotos have not worked out so well though. Provisionally, the route includes Church Fenton, Selby, Knottingly and Drax. This gives me a portal from Hull docks, starting about two miles along the former NER Leeds and Hull line past Selby, a portal from Redcar/Tyne Dock starting on the former NER York to Normanton line at Church Fenton, two portals from Pontefract to the south west of Knottingly, a portal on the former L&YR route between Knottingley and Doncaster and a portal from Goole docks on the former L&YR Pontefract and Goole line. There is the coal loading facility at Gascoigne Wood and the one at Kellingley Colliery. There are three power stations, at Drax, Eggborough and Ferrybridge. The latter, at Ferrybridge took MGR trains from the south, which meant that trains from Redcar Docks, Tyne Dock, Gascoigne Wood and Immingham would actually have to route via Castleford. Stopping a loaded MGR train at Knottingley and running round it before heading in to Ferrybridge would have been done only in extremis, if the Castleford line via Pontefract Monkhill was closed. The ECML Selby diversion is included in part and is electrified, reflecting the 1990-ish date. Plain track laid out from Selby to Gascoigne Wood. Yards at Gascoigne Wood and Milford laid out (Milford was rather tricky to lay out - each spur to accommodate a 32-wagon rake of HAA and each loop to accomodate a 32-wagon HAA rake plus Class 47/56/58 loco). Plain line down to Knottingley next and will include Knottingley MPD. After that, plain line to Kellingley Colliery and Eggborough. Because I am relying on DLS assets there have to be some compromises. One example is the coal loaders at Gascoigne. The late Bendorsey's Ratcliffe Car Loaders are the closest match in appearance but do not appear to accomodate slow speed loading.

Last edited:
Sounds like you have enough on ya plate for awhile then lol, Sum folks here can really make any old asset sell a route with the way they can scratch build idustrial plants like mines and loaders and the like. Best of luck with it anyways i'll be keeping an eye out.
Cheer Mick.

Hello Matruck

Track is laid as far as Knottingley, including the track on the route to Ferrybridge via Castleford and Pontefract Monkhill. I have run several trains from Gascoigne Wood to Ferrybridge and back.

Below is Knottingley Depot at an early stage of construction.

Still haven't found a way to actually load and unload MGR coal trains running at slow speed over industry enabled track.

Very nice work there Borderreiver the sheds at Knottingley would have to be custom built I'd imagine ?, As they have striped doors and don't forget the MGR Wagon sitting on display behind the sheds as you have them there.
Cheers Mick.

Hello Matruck - Knottingley TMD, or rather one based on it, is on the DLS, as "Knottingly Service Depot" by the late Bendorsey. He uploaded three versions. If I ever put this route on the DLS it will have to have assets from the DLS. The plinthed HAA wagon is an addition to the depot which dates rather later than the "1990" setting of the route. There have been several modifications to the building since then. Comparing a 2006 track plan to 2018 Google Earth there have been track changes too.

Back