British HAA Wagon Drawings/Plans

matruck

Dirty Deeds
Howdy All just wondering if any of our UK Modelers would happen to have this book on wagon plans https://www.amazon.co.uk/Railway-Wa...J92JA7T7K8E&psc=1&refRID=9T3PGSRWQJ92JA7T7K8E
I cant find if the HAA is even in the book let alone a half decent drawing for it, I do have sum drawings from the Barrowmore Websitesite but they only come with a side and end view I am really after a top down view of the HAA.
Anyways if sum body knows of the book I linked above I'd be keen to hear if it is worth purchasing.
Cheers Mick.:)

Ask around on RMWeb to see what books have good plans for those wagons, the folks there have book recommendations for every single possible purpose! They are very finicky about details (as am I!) and will give you ideas on which book has more accurate diagrams, more info, better bang-for-your-buck, etc..

Thanks John i have those one's off the DLS mate i was really after a nice drawing of the HAA so i could try and get back into modeling for Trainz and maybe make sum thing with a tad more detail and textured to my own liking. Ron i joined RMWeb sum time ago when i was after sum info on the Class 37 I'll have to try and remember my log-in details lol.
Thanks for the help fella's.
Cheers Mick.:)

Matruck, did you get a resolution to your request? Here is a link to an O gauge model with a partial top-down view of the HAA.

https://www.aandhmodels.co.uk/da7f-048-005-mgr-haa-coal-wagon-1-55077-p.asp

If you prefer not to click on links then try searching for A & H Models Brackley and when on the home page scroll down to categories, then click on British Railway Models. From there click on Dapol O Gauge. Choose Dapol O wagons.

Last edited:
Merry-Go-Round on the Rails by David Monk-Steel is the book I bought from the HMRS ( One of the best site's I have ever dealt with when it comes to research ) Is actually full of drawings for the HAA Bordereiver I just have a rather large back log of Aussie content I'd like to see finished first, Plus I'm kind of waiting for a UK style route to be made that suite's my taste's not that I know who is making it or when it will be finished lol.
I'm looking in the British Screenshot thread every now and then hoping sum body will make it for me with sum coal mines and the like already included which will then inspire me to make a nice HAA, Hope that makes sense mate lol.
Cheers Mick.:wave:

Hello Matruck, to use the HAA with a coal mine on MGR duties means a large colliery such as those found in the Selby coalfield in Yorkshire during the 1980s/1990s. A benefit of choosing that location is that several MGR-served power stations were located nearby, allowing you to run the cycle of pit to power station and back.

Hello Matruck, to use the HAA with a coal mine on MGR duties means a large colliery such as those found in the Selby coalfield in Yorkshire during the 1980s/1990s. A benefit of choosing that location is that several MGR-served power stations were located nearby, allowing you to run the cycle of pit to power station and back.

That is pretty much what I am after, The book I mentioned above has an amazing amount of detail in it for this style of operation although I have not read it cover to cover I will see if Selby is mentioned.
Cheers Mick.

Bordereiver is there a railway division name for the Selby Coal Field area or route name I can search for at all ?, I keep getting pictures for the Class 56 loco named after the Selby Coalfield lol but not much comes back in the way of what route name the actual area comes under.
In the US or out here in Aus I find it quite easy to search for particular railway routes for research once you can find the actual name of the whole area you are after but I am having a bit of trouble researching the UK Railway Routes. Seems to be another great area to model in Trainz as there are a ton of coal mines and power stations all in the one area.
Cheers Mick.

Hello Matruck

The Selby coalfield was in British Railways Eastern Region. A starting point is wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selby_Coalfield and that reveals some colliery names; Gascoigne Wood Mine, Whitemoor Mine, North Selby Mine, Riccal Mine, Stillingfleet Mine and Wistow Mine. Google Earth pro - search for Sherburn in Elmet or Milford and roll back to 2002 - A plan view of Gascoigne Wood is there, to the southeast of Sherburn in Elmet. Quite a few images of Gascoigne Wood are available online. Also, a video, a 58 minute run from Gascoigne Wood to Drax power station hauling train 8D06 - no HAAs, videoed in the post-HAA era, but it does show you the trip the loco takes, a journey made many times when the Selby coalfield was in production. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qK-M3Ra0DVM

Last edited:
Innis cheers mate i already have that one plus i bought that same authors book Merry-Go-Round on the rails and it has a ton of info, Bordereiver thanks for the links I'll check them out there is only one large shed left at Gascoigne Wood Mine apparently filled with gypsum I found a site dedicated to the old mines in the area and Gascoinge must of been massive going by the size of the one shed still left there https://www.28dayslater.co.uk/threads/selby-coalfield-gascoigne-wood-and-wistow-visit.71640/
I wonder how hard it would be to include all this area in a route for Trainz. Thanks for the help anyway fella's.
Cheers Mick.

Hello Matruck

The route taken by the train appears to be around nineteen miles (though the distance between the two spots in a straight line is around eight miles). Taken as a stand alone project it would be not too taxing regarding laying the track, though assembling the DEM from UK 2m LIDAR data is rather time-consuming, but would be a lot larger project when considering placing the scenery. Looking at the TS12/T:ANE ECML built-in route it is feasible as a "bolt on" extension (actually two "bolt on extensions") by adding some baseboards and populating them, but that will not appear on the DLS. I have wondered why the ECML route builders did not extend it from Doncaster to Leeds rather than producing the Edinburgh to Dundee extension.

Thanks Matruck. Further on at Milford Yard, a 56 stops with an eastbound empties for a crew changeover by the old maltings buildings.

Is this a DEM you are working from, Being looking on Google Earth and even Drax power station is also in the Selby Area so certainly lots of operating potential in a route of the area but it would have to include Knottingley so the good old 56 Class had sum where to rest.
Mick.

Back