Brakes randomly applying

neilsmith749

This is an issue I've noticed from TANE, or maybe even the version before - can't remember exactly. Anyway, it happens in CAB MODE, and seems more prevalent with multiple unit lash-ups, but can happen to individual locos as well, and it seems random. And it doesn't seem to be loco-specific either.

In the simplest case, you'll be driving along, and all of a sudden, you'll notice the brake cylinder pressure has climbed to anywhere from 20kpa or higher. Double checking the controls, both the train brake and loco brakes are indeed released. In a more involved case with multiple units, everything in the cab looks normal, but it feels sluggish. In checking the other locos, there's often one or more that have had brakes apply, even though the controls are all showing brakes released. It can be remedied, usually, but applying the train break in the offending loco, and then quickly releasing it.

In the most extreme case, the Brake Cylinder value will be upwards of 600+ kpa, which is not even possible in real life. In this case, no amount of applying and releasing brakes will solve the problem. I haven't noticed this severe problem in TRS19 yet, but I'm only starting to test out things now.

Not sure if the direction that the loco is facing has any bearing on the issue, but it often seems to happen in rear-facing locos.

I've posted this issue before, but didn't really find out much. I can't be the only person driving in CAB MODE - has anyone else noticed any random braking applications?

Sorry to say I do all my running in CAB mode and never had this happen to me in TANE or TRS19. Got 4759 hours in TRS2024 acording to Steam.

RJ Artim

Last edited:
I have experienced this problem in TRS19 and T:ANE. For reasons of locomotive physics I abandoned T:ANE some time ago but I have seen the issue in multi unit consists in sessions I am developing in TRS19. What neilsmith749 describes is exactly what I have seen and there is nothing I can add except yes this is a problem. I have recently updated some of Dave Snows Locos with Jointed Rail engine specs and so far I have not seen the problem with consists made up of multiples of those Locos but there is time yet.:confused:

That is one weird duck of situation,

But in thinking back , it seems to me, I had a problem with a mixed consist, and I couldn't figure it out, other than changing the offending ones out of Consist....Didn't give a thought to checking the Brake pressure....Having 600 Brake pressure, wouldn't lock the wheels and start wearing down the Track, starting a Fire etc..........Only in Trainz.......LOL

Guess I need to go back for retraining as an Engineer....:eek:

Thank you for sharing your experience...Another tool for me to use when all else fails......

Update: Your OK.......I can relate, some of these issues are so obscure, and I am a Geek in Computers, but I don't write Scripts, nor do I create Assets way above my Pay Scale for sure......But trying too figure out what's going on behind the scenes, well that's for someone else to do......I like to tinker and Kit Bash...and that gets me in enough Trouble......LOL

Last edited:
I just had a complete lockup, where the brakes on a second unit wouldn't release. I think it was the built-in CN SD40. I didn't realize we could do this, but I noticed the "edit trainz" option in the tools menu while in Driver. I deleted the loco, then replaced it with the same one, and that solved the problem. I know it's not a fix, but at least it doesn't render the unit useless. Hopefully this "edit trainz" option will always be available in driver. Or maybe it has been all the time, and I just never noticed it! duhh!!!!

Session Builders can disable the edit trains in T:ANE but I have not checked in TRS19 yet and I have also had the lockup but with DLS downloaded units so I suspect it might be a script issue if common to a number of asset builders creations. I am not sure but I think the problem has occurred with units that have the setting for 'Full' train brake when pressing 'A' rather than the incremental brake application.

Back