How well can light be scaled down on a model layout?

JonMyrlennBailey

This would be candle power, lumens and all that other stuff science-wise.

Can the illumination of headlights on a loco be scaled down in linear fashion?

Can the light of a street lamp be scaled down linear?

I'm not sure if this is a user-controllable option.

On some locomotives, there's an option to turn high beams on or off, which might be helpful for you.

Keep in mind that these are really full-scale models that are then placed in a model-sized, rhetorically speaking, world.

Actually, I had PHYSICAL scale-model layouts in mind while asking about light. How accurately the latest Trainz game tries to emulate real-world lighting conditions, I'm not certain. A real trick on a model layout in a room would to be to design overhead lighting that would mimic the movement of the sun so physical objects on the layout would cast shadows in various directions and lengths. One, a billionaire hobbyists, could also have a clear roof on a train building like the dome of a football stadium to admit natural sunlight and moonlight at night.

Actually, I had PHYSICAL scale-model layouts in mind while asking about light. How accurately the latest Trainz game tries to emulate real-world lighting conditions, I'm not certain. A real trick on a model layout in a room would to be to design overhead lighting that would mimic the movement of the sun so physical objects on the layout would cast shadows in various directions and lengths. One, a billionaire hobbyists, could also have a clear roof on a train building like the dome of a football stadium to admit natural sunlight and moonlight at night.

We have that already, actually. Our ceilings are actually one-way and the sun and outdoor like comes through. You can adjust the light color in the environment settings. In TRS19, ahem, it goes one step further with abmient light brightness and adjustments as well as light brightness with related color adjustments.

Another possibility is to have an outdoor G scale layout and many do exist. You get all the natural effects from mother nature herself: rain, wind, snow, sun progression across the sky, shifting sun rays and shadows, clouds, stars and moonlight at night. I'm always afraid of what nasty weather might do to nicely-painted locomotives over time. Of course, garden railroads generally have a staging area inside undercover to stow rolling stock away from the elements while not running.

Has anybody tried to build a "garden railroad" in Trainz?

Last edited:
Another possibility is to have an outdoor G scale layout and many do exist. You get all the natural effects from mother nature herself: rain, wind, snow, sun progression across the sky, shifting sun rays and shadows, clouds, stars and moonlight at night. I'm always afraid of what nasty weather might do to nicely-painted locomotives over time. Of course, garden railroads generally have a staging area inside undercover to stow rolling stock away from the elements while not running.

I agree especially in areas where the weather is less than nice. Here in New England, we usually get brutally cold winters and feet of snow at a time along with ice and lots of rain. With conditions like that, the ROW needs constant maintanence long before the trains can be run, and then there's track expansion issues in the summer. That's way too much work for me! I had issues with dryness affecting my N-scale model railroad, and that was bad enough.

I don't know if anyone has done an outdoor model railroad. That would be a nice project. What we would need though is oversized models of trees and bushes to landscape the route so that the trains can wind there way around a backyard just as they do in real life.

I'm not one to push for assets, and my modeling skills aren't so great so I will wait until someone creates them before I use them.

Yes.

To this end I made a number of over-sized objects including a house, wall, garden shed (for the terminus/storage of the layout), brick wall, greenhouse, patio, etc., as an experiment, also a number of trackbeds. I liked the result but as there was no general interest I did not proceed further. The usual Trainz rolling stock then appeared to be of garden railway size. I found that Trainz trees, lowered into the ground, gave a reasonable simulation of ground cover plants.

The oversize scenery objects were ones I had made and published on the DLS made 22 times larger in GMax. The test layout was on one baseboard representing a garden with a cottage at one end and surrounded by a brick wall.

Ray

And just to prove it:

GR1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

GR2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

GR3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

This is a simple continuous track on a simple concrete trackbed, the only purpose of which was to test the possibility. With some effort it would be possible to have a fully working outdoor layout with perhaps a terminus in the shed/

Ray

Back