Midwest Grain turnouts

boxcar-willie

I just installed MWG on TANE sp3 - it shows as Midwest Grain 3.0 r1. When trying to run the Quick Drive scenario (only one that shows up), I can not control the turnouts - no red and green arrows show up over them, no matter what I try. There are arrows on the map view, but they don't do anything to the turnouts when I try to click on them. I know the website says Trainz 2012 only, but I see others have been able to run it on TANE, and I can find no reference to turnout issues. Please advise, and TY!

Willie

The reason the route is TS12 is the Pofig Speedtrees. The Pofigs don't work in TANE and above.

Brought over into TANE by replacing the Speedtrees in TS12 and then replacing those trees in TANE.

midwest_grain2.jpg

The turnouts worked in both TANE and TRS2019

midwest_5.jpg

Harold

You're saying I need to install TS12 to fix this? I have it, but it sounds like a PITA. Oh well, better get started. I wouldn't mind a bit more direction on just how to do the replacing.

Willie

You're saying I need to install TS12 to fix this? I have it, but it sounds like a PITA.
An alternative is to create a series of dummy tree assets, each one obsoleting one of the old speedtrees. Then load the route in Tane and replace each dummy with a new speedtree of your choice. Setting up the dummy trees in the first place is a bit tedious (they can be identical except for name and KUID) but it means you can do the updating to the new versions at the same time as you implement the new Tane features into the route. It also means they are available for importing other TS12 routes that used those trees.

An alternative is to create a series of dummy tree assets, each one obsoleting one of the old speedtrees. Then load the route in Tane and replace each dummy with a new speedtree of your choice. Setting up the dummy trees in the first place is a bit tedious (they can be identical except for name and KUID) but it means you can do the updating to the new versions at the same time as you implement the new Tane features into the route. It also means they are available for importing other TS12 routes that used those trees.
The time it would take to make dummy assets for all the pofig trees in Midwest or any other pofiged route would take longer than converting every route ever made with pofig trees.

Easier to just change out the trees in TS12.

Pofig had a gazillion trees and every route builder used a gazillion minus 1.

Just replace the Pofig's in TS12 with any tree. I like N3Vs grotesque TS2010 era speedtrees and CL trees.

trees_conversion_ts12.jpg

Then bring the route into TANE and replace those trees with speedtrees. Doesn't matter which ones nature is random.

rn_st2.jpg

Takes about a half hour.

Harold

Last edited:
The time it would take to make dummy assets for all the pofig trees in Midwest or any other pofiged route would take longer than converting every route ever made with pofig trees.
No it wouldn't.
Get the list of missing dependencies in a CM window.
Open the dummy asset for editing.
For each missing dependency:
Open config.txt,
Copy the kuid from CM,
Paste into the config,
Update the version number,
Save the config,
Import the folder into CM.
Repeat.
That's about 20s each, or less than 10 minutes total. Tedious, but not time-consuming. Much faster than re-installing TS12.

No it wouldn't.
Get the list of missing dependencies in a CM window.
Open the dummy asset for editing.
For each missing dependency:
Open config.txt,
Copy the kuid from CM,
Paste into the config,
Update the version number,
Save the config,
Import the folder into CM.
Repeat.
That's about 20s each, or less than 10 minutes total. Tedious, but not time-consuming. Much faster than re-installing TS12.
Never have uninstalled TS12, always been useful for bringing other stuff across the void.

By replacing a tree with a similar one in TS12 it easier to maintain some resemblance to the old route.

Don't have to be exact but should be the same size and shape.

Harold

By replacing a tree with a similar one in TS12 it easier to maintain some resemblance to the old route.
The above procedure doesn't stop you from doing that, if you want, at any time after importing into T:ane: the substitute trees look the same, but they actually different assets and can be replaced separately. The problem with doing it in TS12 is that you have to know which trees look good in T:ane.

If you never uninstalled TS12 then your decision might be different than OP.

If you are using TANE or TRS2019 eventually all the old billboard routes will need to be "Speedtreed". So it is best to learn what speedtrees look good.

If the new speedtree doesn't look good can be easily replaced.

George Fisher's 2006 Cape May County with billboards.

taned_1.jpg

With TANE level Speedtrees in a toned down TRS2019.

taned_022.jpg

taned_013.jpg

Harold

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but you are all speaking Greek to me. I can open the route in TS12 (and the turnout arrows are not there either), but I have no idea how to do any of the editing or replacement suggestions. I guess I either need instructions for dummies, or I can just do without the route. Thanks anyway.

Willie

I'm sorry, but you are all speaking Greek to me. I can open the route in TS12 (and the turnout arrows are not there either), but I have no idea how to do any of the editing or replacement suggestions. I guess I either need instructions for dummies, or I can just do without the route. Thanks anyway.

Willie

Always forget that everyone hasn't been doing this for some time.

https://contentcreation.trainzsimulator.com/bulk-replace-assets/

http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/How_to_Use_Bulk_Asset_Update/Replace_Tool

Last edited:
Wow - I had no idea that kind of ability was possible. It makes a lot more sense now - thank you hminky! Kind of reminds me of my days in IT helping end users - very hard to fight the attitude: "I've been doing this for 10 years - what do you mean you don't understand it?"

Thanks again!

Willie

Hi

If you use rmm speed trees he has v5 speedtrees that automatically update to v6 in Tane and TRS19. You only need to update them once in TS12 instead of updating again in Tane or TRS19.

Regards

Brian

Just to be sure before I get started on this - replacing the trees will bring back the turnout arrows? Like I noted above, there are no turnout arrows in TS12 either, and yes, I know the ctrl-h command.

Willie

Just to be sure before I get started on this - replacing the trees will bring back the turnout arrows? Like I noted above, there are no turnout arrows in TS12 either, and yes, I know the ctrl-h command.

Willie

Check to see if there are switchstands, one of the older 2006 didn't have switchstands therefore no arrows.

The switchstands are found in the upper right corner second symbol along the top.

Harold

Last edited:
Puzzling - I don't see any switchstands in TS12 or TANE, in either Surveyor or driving mode. I just downloaded the freeware stuff from JR - do I maybe need a payware pack or some other update?

Never mind - I got it figured out. The switch stands were not installed. In the dependencies screen on CM, the switchstand (NS tall no ballast) showed up as available on the DLS. I manually downloaded it and voila - turnout arrows! I'm still glad I asked about it, because I learned a couple of neat tricks in the process. Many thanks to all involved!

Willie

Back