TRS19 "Full" install vs "Partial" install (don't install all routes) - advice please

1611mac

- - . -
TRS19 "Full" install vs "Partial" install (don't install all routes) - advice please

I've started to ask this question 3 times but did not carry thru all 3 times. But now I'm going to ask. Why? If you don't ask you don't know...

My interest is in North American trains and routes. When I installed TRS19 on my Mac (before I had PC/Windows 10) I did a complete install of all routes. I was impressed by Sebino Lake, Niddertalbahn, Cornish Mainline, etc. In my first month of silver membership I also obtained some Australian, and UK routes. To be sure, I have nothing against these routes. But they are just not where my interests lie.

Two months after installing on Mac, I built my PC and installed TRS19. I did not download/install the mentioned routes. I didn't see the need of wading thru hundreds (thousands?) of assets that I'd not be interested in.

Besides, I thought, I have these routes on my Mac and it would be simple to grab any asset needed for another route or simply grab through CM. But I do not yet understand all the ramifications of assets being Payware. And I know content creators will likely consider all six routes as a "base" install for installed assets.

Am I making a mistake by not going ahead and installing all routes? (Consider disk space a non-issue.) Again, I'd like to avoid all the loco's and rolling stock (and other "installed" assets when viewing CM) I'm not interested in. But on the other hand, it seems like it would be wise to have a "complete" install. I also hate having to see all the non-installed routes in the "Download Purchased Items" window every time it pops up.

I guess one option is to do a full install, mark my interests as "Favorites" (My collection) but then all the assets will still show in CM.

Advice and discussion please....

The main effect will come if the asset you want appears in Content Manager as Not Installed, Payware. These cannot be downloaded using Content Manager in the usual fashion as it would have to be done using the DLC download system.

I can't remember off-hand whether it will allow downloading of earlier versions of an asset that is payware using Content Manager though.

Shane

The main effect will come if the asset you want appears in Content Manager as Not Installed, Payware. These cannot be downloaded using Content Manager in the usual fashion as it would have to be done using the DLC download system.

I can't remember off-hand whether it will allow downloading of earlier versions of an asset that is payware using Content Manager though.

Shane

You captured my concern precisely! And the single "Not Installed, Payware" asset cannot be added from grabbing it from my full Mac install, correct? (ie: export single asset from full install on Mac as cdp and drop into CM on PC). I guess I can try it myself... but comments please.

Or possibly, setup a second data folder, download the route, and then grab the needed assets and place into main data folder.

Last edited:
I haven't seen anyone successfully doing it yet as it usually realises it's payware and will often block the attempt. I haven't had chance to test it yet though.

Shane

Thank you for your reply. It confirms what I was thinking. I'll do some testing but It looks like I'll be doing a full install.

Let me give you two more reasons to install everything even if you (like me) are more interested in building your own routes:
1. You can see some excellent work and techniques you can apply to your own route building.
2. You will see assets that you didn't know existed and utilize them in your own routes.

Yes... I had considered that point. And I'm concluding that you are correct on this one. I wasn't too concerned in that aspect as I have the entire package to view and play on my Mac (albeit on low settings) but I'm pretty sure I'm convinced to install all six routes on my main Trainz'ing PC too. I guess I don't understand why if you have paid for a route you can't just install individual assets from that route if that's your desire (from CM.) But that's the way it is and I accept it. I try to be positive about things and I'm just happy I found this Trainz experience and this community. Thanks!

While these assets maybe UK, Australian, or European, you may find them quite useful for US as well. Like our culture and language, we are a mixture of everywhere else in the world. UK-style buildings work perfectly for Northeast routes, for example. Those Welsh-style houses by Clam1952 are similar, if not the same, as those found throughout parts of Pennsylvania, Maryland, and Virginia because people from that area settled there and brought their architecture with them. The old stone viaducts are perfect too for the Northeast. the Pennsy, Reading, and even Erie and Boston and Maine built the same kinds of bridges, and they are still in use today. The Canton Viaduct built by the New Haven, is a classic example. The houses from Australia and New Zealand look like some of the Brooks Skinner cottages found up along the beach, and also like some of the kit homes found all across Appallachia. These small houses, name NZ-House (followed by some number) are excellent for this, and so are those Queensland houses. They maybe older models, but they are still good today. Those buildings found across Europe have their use as well. What they call a villa, for example are perfect for a mansion here, and their farmhouses and barns are perfect for stuff here.

I could go on, but as you'll find the "other stuff" fits in well.

Regarding importing Payware/DLC. You can't this is done on purpose to protect the assets. They have no meshes or textures like other assets do and are in compressed packages that are loaded at runtime. With that said, there are some older versions of assets found on the DLS which can be installed, but then you need to update them, including upping the version number if they are dependencies with an already installed route.

Excellent points. I'm downloading all TRS19 routes now.... My short-sightedness is glaring.... (but at least I asked)

BUT..... When I joined Silver I quite unexpectedly found Kickstarter Co (TANE) and Niddertalbahn (TANE) in my Asset Downloads even though I've only purchased TRS19. I obviously have the TRS19 versions. I suppose I should download those too just for the TANE assets...???

An interesting question. And an interesting dilemma for route constructors who wish to share their creations on the Download Station.

What content should be included in the route? Should it be assumed that every potential downloader has installed all six "default" routes? Or is it better to assume that every one has the base installation (in practice, just the Kickstarter route) and only some will have all of the six? Or just one of the six, or two, or ... ?

Me? I know it excludes some excellent content that comes with the additional routes, but I use content only from the base installation plus the Download Station.

Kickstarter County, the TANE one and and Niddertalbahn are builtins as far as TRS19 is concerned so safe to install as all TRS19 users, unless they stopped the auto downloads, will have them

I just disable any payware I don't want to accidentally use in my route building, then they don't show up in surveyor.

Kickstarter County, the TANE one and and Niddertalbahn are builtins as far as TRS19 is concerned so safe to install as all TRS19 users, unless they stopped the auto downloads, will have them

I just disable any payware I don't want to accidentally use in my route building, then they don't show up in surveyor.

Disable payware... explain please. I'm not familiar with that feature.

Disable payware... explain please. I'm not familiar with that feature.

Right-click on the payware assets and chose disable.

Warning: You may have routes with missing assets when you do that, and when you renable the assets afterwards be prepared for a bit of data validation, which can take some time depending upon how much content you have installed.

Right-click on the payware assets and chose disable.

Warning: You may have routes with missing assets when you do that, and when you renable the assets afterwards be prepared for a bit of data validation, which can take some time depending upon how much content you have installed.

Disable is in the Content Menu.

RE: Disable Payware

Wow... Had probably seen that before but no doubt didn't mean a thing to me at the time... I better go back and re-examine ALL menu items and options in ALL screens, panels, and pull-downs.

Thanks for replying to my posts. I appreciate it very much.

I always thought the right click (contextual) menu and Content tab items where the same. That's why I didn't know about "disable." I always just right click the item and never used the Context pulldown. Again. Thanks to both of you.

I now have everything downloaded, including TANE editions of Kickstarter and Niddertalbahn even though I have TRS19 versions. Interestingly, 5 assets in a Payware route obtained from Silver Membership had dependencies on the older Niddertalbahn route (they were "obsolete" and not in the TRS19 edition). That route was marked in store as TRS19 compatible by the way. So there you go.

Perhaps N3V needs check assets in their offerings to TRS19 only customers. I've had two cases now in just a handful of items where my silver membership content is not fully compatible (as stated) on store and descriptions. (I am assuming that "TRS19 compatible" means no faulty or missing assets.)

Back