Importing large route

Thai1On

Slave to my route
Hi all, as many of you know I have been working on my L&A route since TS12. As it sits now it saves a CDP file at over 765 megs and I believe I've read that 500 megs are the limit. I have tried to import it into TS19 but there are many areas that didn't make it. One area of biggest concern are two large and complex yards. The tracks seems to be there but do not show up but, trains can be placed on invisible tracks. Is there a work around for the 500 meg limit CDP file or another way to import my route into TS19?

Dave

The only method that I could think of would be to cut your original TS12 route into smaller separate segments and then merge them in TRS19. This would be extremely laborious as baseboards can only be deleted one-by-one.

How does a route reach 765 megs? It takes me absolutely ages to even get to 50 megs.

Can't you open the route for editing in TS12 and import the file folder?

Harold

Last edited:
Is that file size with all dependencies ?
My route was 130 ish MB
but CDP for transfer was only about 35mb

Make a CDP of route and session only and import into TRS19. Now in content manager download missing dependencies, this will make sure you have all the latest and TRS19 compliant assets. Then you can look for any other missing assets in your TS12 folder.

Can't you open the route for editing in TS12 and import the file folder?
That would also be my suggestion.

There is a weird limitation to CDP's at around 500mb, but the above suggestion would bypass that problem.

Are you sure the CDP only contains the route or does it also include the dependencies? If the later, make a new CDP but this time with only the route; that should reduce the size a lot.

Sorry for the late reply these last 2 weeks has seen me doing 65+ hour work weeks :confused:. I should say that the L&A lives in TANE as it choked TS12 once fully assembled.

TANE runs it well but, how should I go about trying to it from TANE to TS19? I just checked and the MAP file is alone is 182,259 kb!

Dave

So, my understanding is that the route now lives and runs well in T:ANE?
Accordingly, forget the TS12 version for now and import the route only from T:ANE.
Recommend rebuilding any sessions you might have in T:ANE for this route again in TRS19 from scratch. There will be too many potential scripting problems otherwise.
Try the CDP option first. As this is a compressed file format, it should (in principle) be more compacted and come in under the 500Mb limit.
Have you worked out what exactly is responsible for such a large final route file size? Either the route itself is enormous, or you have included some extraordinarily inefficient assets somewhere there.
Was it built on a DEM project, perhaps? Can you optimise it by removing any unnecessary route layers/ assets?
Suggest use the Compact Route option in T:ANE before you try to export it. (Save a FULL copy of the route elsewhere safely first!).
Alternatively, opening the route for edit in T:ANE and then importing it into the Editing Folder of TRS19 might be your best course as suggested above.
After submitting the edits in TRS19, you'll still have quite a few clean-up items to deal with, including downloading any DLS dependencies and substituting older T:ANE built-ins with their TRS19 counterparts.

Last edited:
Dave,

Do the same... Open for edit and import into TRS2019.

It's easier that way.

That is quite a large route to begin with. I ran in to that issue bringing a route from TS12 to T:ANE as well. My route was a carryover from TRS2004 all the way through TS12 with many, many additions to it from its original 4-baseboard core. Once exported into T:ANE I cleaned up a bunch and rebuilt stuff and it worked fine, but I couldn't do that in TS12 because it would occasionally cause "issues".

I must admit to some puzzlement. I imported kdstokes' WIP Clinchfield Full route and the cdp of the route was only 164,165 KB for over 277 miles of mainline (still under development) , jrfolco's Baltimore to Connellsville & West Mega Route cdp is about 402,448 KB and that route has thousands of miles of trackage.

I can't see how your route could be any bigger Dave.

Usually when I import a route I create a cdp of the route and install it, then download any dependent assets that are on the DLS, then gather up any non-DLS assets from the original install in TANE or wherever and make cdps of those and import them. Repeat for sessions and I'm good to go.

Still no joy in Mudville :'(. I opened the L&A in TANE CM then imported the folder into TS19. All when well until I opened it to edit it and still the invisible track problem still plagues me. Below is work I'm looking at. Any help, please!

2019-03-14-195251.jpg

2019-03-14-195325.jpg

Dave
Gkm2dTy

Import the route does not import all the assets used in the route. check CM for missing assets also don't import built in content from one version to another. Most built in will be available on the DLS for TRS19. If you import content rather than a CDP you need to do a data repair to get data up to date as trainz reads the data file not the CM list.

Still no joy in Mudville :'(. I opened the L&A in TANE CM then imported the folder into TS19. All when well until I opened it to edit it and still the invisible track problem still plagues me. Below is work I'm looking at. Any help, please!
. .
Dave
Gkm2dTy

I have upgraded routes from TANE SP3 to TRS19 without any problems, and the only way to make sure all the assets in the route get put in correctly is to use this method;

Export the route (route only) to a CDP file from the TANE CM, then drag and drop the file into the TRS19 CM. Then list the missing dependencies, and download them.

Then do the same proceedure for each session. Do Not include the assets in your CDP's. Only the Route and Sessions one at a time.

There are several assets that do not have the same KUID numbers from one version to another, and trying to force them in will fail with the results you show

Thank you for all the help everyone. Turns out it was builtin track on TANE. One thing that helped was I deleted one small part of "invisible track" then suddenly I got the broken white lines. I then went into a saved copy of the TANE route picked a replacement and imported it again and BINGO! With that problem behind me now begins the massive retexturing of the L&A alone with other fixes.

Dave

Back