Water-- Different shades of colour at basebord joints.

euromodeller

Imagineer
I was composing a screenshot when I noticed this...

(A picture says 1000 words.)

Ruined-screnshot-due-to-water-problems.jpg

it happens where 2 baseboards join.

I followed the baseboard joint to a point where 4 boards join, there were 4 shades of water (although not that visble in theis 2D screenshot) and a noticable split!

Four-shades-of-water-at-baseboard-joins.jpg

you-can-see-the-join%21.jpg

In the shot above, you can see a white line where the baseboards join underwater.

Does anybody else have this problem?

I could, of course, cover it with a road or hedge spline to hide the joint :hehe:

Last edited:
I've seen that a couple of times but thought it was due to my very ancient (like me) route I started in 2003 and imported through every Trainz version up to and including TRS19. So apparently this is not a local issue.

I did find a work around. I adjusted the water up and down a smidge and that made the water all the same.

I noticed in one of your screenshots that the water is not at the same level on one of the baseboards. Try leveling that with the other and see if the issue goes away.

I've tried everything I can to get rid, even deleted all the water and replaced, but no change.
It's not just this route, I've checked on others since and it's the same, I even created a new 4 board route that was just 4 empty boards plus a depression of 5 meters and water, same problem at the joints.

Drivers are all up to date for the GTX 1050Ti card.

Even if the levels were different, why the change in colour?

It's baseboard joints that is the problem, as I said, you can see in picture 3 that underwater the join is visible as a white line.

New boards..

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Never had that shading problem. But from time to time, for no apparent reason, the water levels change right at the board joint place. Like John says, adjust a little one side, and the other joints. Now, in order to go back to the exact level you had, you have to fiddle more on the water level. now adjusting one changes all. So far so good, until it happens again! may be next week or next month, but it will happen. This curious effect has been there since at least 09, but little noise has been made about it. I am glad I am not the only one....

Looks to me like the lighter shade is where the water is not quite as deep, so is going to show a little lighter as you get closer to the shore. what it looks like to me from the photo. After another it does look a little funny with the straight lines through it.

Last edited:
That problem of the line has existed since TANE may well be from before that, not seen any colour variations though.

I've got in parts of TRS19
changing water depth or changing texture under water has no effect
neither does deleting water and then reapplying or
changing water color or surface type
as stated above following grid lines I have one section at 90deg in corner of grids

May have something with copy/paste terrain as one bad section is in an area where I copied rotated & pasted terrain

Well big_b, there we have a common denominator, I had done some copy and paste in that area!.
So, I copied a section from the correct dark area (in my pics) to the lighter area and then reshaped the landsacape to the way it was, it solved 90% of the light water problem in that area :)
I darkened the texture underneath and although not fully cured, the eye isn't drawn to it.

Split has gone from one direction but is still there in the other, at the bottom of the pic.

Compare my first pic to this one.

90%25-cured.jpg

Last edited:
Have been fooling around with this and found
terrain at -15.5
water at -11.71
but if I lift water up to +60 the lines in water vanish but reappear as water is lowered
However if I leave the water level as is and lower terrain under it the lines remain nothing changes

Dave

Back