At least make your DLC sound real!

jd_james

Just looking at the DLC content, practically at the Italian Frecciarossa 1000. Don't get me wrong, the model is very nice and all, but for goodness sakes! If you are going to charger $30 for it, make it sound like the real train instead of using that modified sounding kuid:-25:144! kuid:-25:144 must die as it seems everyone just uses that KUID for their electric trains and I am so tired of it as it is a poor attempt at how electric trains sound.

This is what the DLC sounds like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7KTQas-pGk

This is what the real train sounds like!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCbzOw088fs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YnCLwHMuj0

I have said it time and time again in multiple posts in regards to train sounds. N3V needs to send out their sound recording engineers to actually go out and record REAL train sounds. They should have gone to Italy, spend a day on the Frecciarossa 1000 and actually do proper train recordings on it for the $30 they want from the DLC!

Last edited:
I hear you re sounds, unfortunately unlike Auran in the early days N3V have few in house staff and rely almost entirely on third parties to supply all the traction and rolling stocks. Much of the UK stuff suffers from the same problem - we have DMU's aliased to the 2001 Alco sounds and cabs that bear no resemblance to the prototype (the Red Hen is to cabs what 25:144 is to electric traction sound!).

Of course the usual suspects will be along soon enough to stamp on the criticism but, as I said in the run up to TRS2019 when I noted how poor the sounds were especially on the Italian stuff, there are no shortage of traction units with decent, correct sounds (and cabs!) in MSTS and the DTG TS. I just bought the North Wales Coast (2) charity add on for MSTS/Open Rails and the traction sounds on all the locos are superb. So it can be done...

I totally agree that the sounds needs to change.

N3V needs to send out their sound recording engineers to actually go out and record REAL train sounds. They should have gone to Italy, spend a day on the Frecciarossa 1000 and actually do proper train recordings on it for the $30 they want from the DLC!

However, this might be one of the most idiotic things I've ever read on this forum. They wouldn't even begin to recoup their costs from the DLC on a trip to Italy from Australia.

And "recording engineers"? N3V is approx 8 blokes. It's not Microsoft. Your scope may be a little off with everything you've said lol

Just looking at the DLC content, practically at the Italian Frecciarossa 1000. Don't get me wrong, the model is very nice and all, but for goodness sakes! If you are going to charger $30 for it, make it sound like the real train instead of using that modified sounding kuid:-25:144! kuid:-25:144 must die as it seems everyone just uses that KUID for their electric trains and I am so tired of it as it is a poor attempt at how electric trains sound.

Hi James,

the train uses customized sounds for engines and bogey sounds. It was recorded by myself. However some realistic sounds are nearly impossible to realise like pitching related to throttle power which is required for this train. Some sound parts are hidden from the content manager. So you can't see them!
-25:144 is just the engine for the nonpowered traincars and it has nothing - really nothing - to do with the sound as it is entirely scripted. The soundfiles you referenced here are quite good but if you are above 40 and more you won't hear the engine anymore.

Matthias

Hi All
Please keep in mind that the majority of DLC packs in the Trainz Store are developed by 3rd party creators.

We do work with the creators to improve various aspects of their content, however at the end of the day it is still very much up to the creator how far they wish to go with developing their content (ie do they use pre-existing sounds, or spend potentially thousands of dollars to record custom sounds), and as such there may be some variance in how detailed a DLC pack may be.

Unfortunately, particularly for our own team when working with 3rd party creators, most DLC packs do not recoup the costs that would be involved with travelling to another country, hiring the necessary equipment if it cannot be transported, and potentially hiring the train for recording (As recording in regular service may either not be suitable, or even permissible, to get the necessary clean sounds). Even 3rd party creators may find it challenging to cover the costs of doing this, except for DLC packs that are expected to be very very popular.

Regards

I have said it time and time again in multiple posts in regards to train sounds. N3V needs to send out their sound recording engineers to actually go out and record REAL train sounds. They should have gone to Italy, spend a day on the Frecciarossa 1000 and actually do proper train recordings on it for the $30 they want from the DLC!

1st off I do not work for N3V. I have bought this SIM as I would have bought any other SIM I have bought. This particular SIM is more than a 'game', it is a SIM that users can share content and upload their creations, its a community.

The back end CAD engine and corresponding database has evolved into something quite incredible. Users can submit assets and other users can download their creations. When you pay N3V for the 'CAD system' and then pay $30 to use their creation, it is not N3V that is deficient in the 'sound' you are hearing. If you have a better sound, you, as a user, can update the 'sound'.

Here is an easy way maybe to understand. You get Microsoft Visual Studio to make programs, and you make a program, and you use a plugin, and the plugin does not meet your expectations, so now is it Microsoft's fault because the plugin does not work right? Hardly. It is something that can be modified and corrected (as you state). You could fix the sound and release it to us as an asset upgrade, and us, the community will all like you very much for the update.. That is what the 'Trainz Community' is all about.

If I buy Microsoft Excel and say that when I open a spreadsheet, and its blank, and then go to the Microsoft forum and complain, how far do you think you will get.... just saying.

It took many many many people to put a man on the moon. And Trainz is not a 'Game'

Last edited:
Back