New GTX Turing Card with GTX 1070-like performance from just $US279

PC_Ace

Hauling Heavy Pixels
The latest video card from nVidia - the GTX 1660Ti - is a very interesting beast.
It rocks the new Turing architecture but does away with the DLSS and Ray Tracing cores.
Nevertheless, the new GDDR6 memory and refined Turing CUDA cores combine to deliver extremely good performance when compared to the old GTX 1060.
Indeed the performance is in the GTX 1070/ 1070Ti-class, for considerably less outlay.

Here are the latest reviews of this surprising new product from tech writers all around the world: https://videocardz.com/80100/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1660-ti-review-roundup

There's no 'Founder's Edition' this time around from nVidia - only partner cards based on the nVidia TU116 core specification.
Huge variety (and a range of prices, from the base US$279 to over $320).

With its improved shaders and fast memory bandwidth, this card would run T:ANE and TRS19 extremely well at high visual quality settings and long draw distances at both 1080p and 1440p.

i know I harp on about this a LOT but just for the unwary, as i would hate to see anyone burned by buying this card. This is of no use for Mac users as the present nvidia drivers don't work with TANE or Mohave. .

The latest video card from nVidia - the GTX 1660Ti - is a very interesting beast.
It rocks the new Turing architecture but does away with the DLSS and Ray Tracing cores.
Nevertheless, the new GDDR6 memory and refined Turing CUDA cores combine to deliver extremely good performance when compared to the old GTX 1060.
Indeed the performance is in the GTX 1070/ 1070Ti-class, for considerably less outlay.

Here are the latest reviews of this surprising new product from tech writers all around the world: https://videocardz.com/80100/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1660-ti-review-roundup

There's no 'Founder's Edition' this time around from nVidia - only partner cards based on the nVidia TU116 core specification.

With its improved shaders and fast memory bandwidth, this card would run T:ANE and TRS19 extremely well at high visual quality settings and long draw distances at both 1080p and 1440p.

I wonder how the new card would effect Asset building, rendering etc.......I did a search on Ray Tracing VS GPU operation, and I think this link might interest you.....It did me.........Long ago I used to Render, through special type of Software that used Ray Tracing techniques?

It's been 30 some years ago, but it seems that was what I used........I remember some of the Report Objects would take 8-24 hours or more to render, It was always the next day for my work to complete, well you need to understand, our 386-SX, 32 bit speed demon computers with 1/4 meg of memory....Well, it was barley adequate, but that was all we had to work with at the time..........

https://www.reddit.com/r/explainlik..._why_isnt_realtime_ray_tracing_used_in_video/

I was checking out the specs on this GTX 1660Ti card last night and some of the performance ratings beat the newest AMD card, depending what you did with it, and were almost comparable to the new RTX 2080 ti card. For the money it might be the best for the buck today.

The RTX 2060 is still a faster card at about the US$350 price-point, and brings all the new Ray Tracing cores and DLSS goodness to boot, so some of the GTX 1660Ti variants approaching that price-point should probably be avoided.
Closer to the MRP of US$279 however, the price-performance equation for the GTX 1660Ti looks very good.

I upgraded to a GTX 1060 6GB a couple of months ago and I have been pretty happy with its performance in TANE. Perhaps I should have waited, but my old 950 was giving me a lot of rattle and hum when the computer started so it needed to be replaced. My CPU is a relatively geriatric Sandy Bridge i5 so I couldn't upgrade the GPU excessively.
The GTX 1660Ti looks like a fine choice for an upgrade, but I think if I were building a new i5 system from scratch I'd go for a GTX 2060. It isn't that much more.

raymac1946 - Yes, your GTX 1060 is still a fine card for Trainz running purposes. Very efficient and capable.
The GTX 1660Ti is approximately 40% faster for about 20% more money than the 1060 was at launch.
Much better to stay with that card for another year or two before replacing it with a new RTX card - the 2nd and/or 3rd generation of those cards will be much better than the current ones - and likely better value for money too.
Who knows, maybe AMD will catch up and produce an affordable high performance card too by then?

I've only just noticed this thread.

I replaced my GTX 1050Ti with a GTX 1660Ti at the weekend and can verify that it is excellent bang for bucks!

I could only afford the basic ASUS model with a single fan, so if you are on a budget, I recommend this card.

Goodness knows what a future 1680 will perform like!

The RTX 2060 is still a faster card at about the US$350 price-point, and brings all the new Ray Tracing cores and DLSS goodness to boot, so some of the GTX 1660Ti variants approaching that price-point should probably be avoided.
Closer to the MRP of US$279 however, the price-performance equation for the GTX 1660Ti looks very good.
RTX 2060 is a bit overrated, considering when you use that new feature, framerates will drop, and that specific one is under power compared to RTX 2070/2080/2080 ti when using ray tracing and DLSS.

pdkoester - Independent testing shows that the RTX 2060 remains demonstrably the faster card both with and without the new features being used, since the TU106 processor has more CUDA cores (1920 vs 1536 cores) and faster memory bandwidth than the TU116-equipped GTX 1660Ti.
Sure - Ray Tracing is taxing (and not super-impressive at >1080p on the 2060), but those 288 additional Tensor cores for DLSS actually speed up framerates and shader performance when games are suitably sampled and refined by nVidia's supercomputers beforehand.
Accordingly, if you can get an RTX 2060 at the lowest end of its price-range (approx. US$349), it is definitely preferable (price/ performance-wise) over a GTX 1660Ti priced at the top of its current range (approx. US$330!)
At the ~US$279 price-point however, the GTX 1660Ti remains a superb alternative to yesteryear's more expensive Pascal GTX 1070s and 1070Tis.

Back