TR2019: is it wortwhile from RX580 to VEGA56

Hi.
I'm wondering if switching from an RX580 to a VEGA56 could be wortwhile for my necessities. On my system (MBPro 2018 4TB3 - 2.7GHz i7 - 16/500 w/eGPU/RX580) I'm having pretty good performance at axceptable (by my point of view) settings.

The matter is (see attache images): the CPU doesn't work at full speed (200% to 260% average usage - circa 80/85% per core - and 2,80/2,90 GHz average speed) IF COMPARED to Handbrake's encodings (400% max usage and 3,20-3,30 GHz speed. What I believe is that the video card isn't able to keep up with the CPU's power and then, MAYBE, a more powerful GPU could give me better results.

But: I've been looking around and in real game playing (I don't care about strict benchmarks which vary a lot one within another) the fps increase is around +30%. But I'm not interested in just a 30% speed increase if compare to the 900€ I need to spend in order to change my eGPU box and the VEGA56.

Any opinion/suggestion is welcome. Thanks, Simon. (sorry for the huge image)

5uxflBo.jpg

Last edited:
majortom100967 - The Vega 56 is quite a bit more powerful than the RX 580 but whether it makes sense economically for the incremental performance upgrade that it represents is debatable.
Here's the GPU benchmarks comparison from PassMark : https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/compare/Radeon-RX-Vega-56-vs-Radeon-RX-580/3821vs3736

https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=Radeon+RX+Vega+56&id=3821

Both cards have seen big price drops due to the release of nVidia's new GTX 1660Ti, which outperforms them both at US$279.
https://videocardz.com/80100/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1660-ti-review-roundup

Last edited:
How much v ram did you have on your rx580.? my 8gb nitro is pretty good at extreme settings, no stuttering, i doubt the Vega is going to be worth the loot , most of the nvidia cards are far better value but of course they are useless with current mac os ( especially Mohave ) and never have worked well with Trainz on the mac. The biggest boost you could get is to run Trainz in bootcamp if the PC will work with your egpu and it would be a lot cheaper, frame rates might double.

How much v ram did you have on your rx580.? my 8gb nitro is pretty good at extreme settings, no stuttering, i doubt the Vega is going to be worth the loot , most of the nvidia cards are far better value but of course they are useless with current mac os ( especially Mohave ) and never have worked well with Trainz on the mac. The biggest boost you could get is to run Trainz in bootcamp if the PC will work with your egpu and it would be a lot cheaper, frame rates might double.

Hi dangavel. I'm running (Sapphire 8 Gbyte VRAM) at low to mid settings and distance is between 1,5 and 6 km depending on the DLC. it's not bad but not even fantastic. I believe the Mac edition is limited by the OpenGL implemention in Mac OS X which is limited to vers. 4.1.

I could run it under Bootcamp but I dont' want to get crazy just for a game.

Thanks. Simon.

I changed idea and created and moved to Bootcamp. This is not a 2x performance as I read somewhere: this is a completely way of enjoying a game! I can increase complexity by a step in most settings and distance from 1,5-3 to 10-15 km maintainng smoothness!
Absolutely a must!
Thanks. Simon.

I changed idea and created and moved to Bootcamp. This is not a 2x performance as I read somewhere: this is a completely way of enjoying a game! I can increase complexity by a step in most settings and distance from 1,5-3 to 10-15 km maintainng smoothness!
Absolutely a must!
Thanks. Simon.

excellent !

Thanks pdkoester. Unfortunately there something going strange on the Mac platform: recent nVidia cards are not supported in latest Mac OS releases. Looks like Apple and nVidia aren’t in love anymore.
Simon

Thanks pdkoester. Unfortunately there something going strange on the Mac platform: recent nVidia cards are not supported in latest Mac OS releases. Looks like Apple and nVidia aren’t in love anymore.
Simon

Even if they were, from my experience with the GTX 970, they don't work all the way back to sierra with TANE and as they are non supported NV3 wont help troubleshoot. .

Hi dangavel. I don't want to open a war about this matter but the problem is not nVidia&Trainz but nVidia&Apple that, therefore, makes Trainz not completely compatible with any SW on nVidia video cards. This started, as you correctly said, in the latest releases of High Sierra and now, on Mojave, is a serious issue for nVidia/Mac users especially in the viedeoediting industry as Apple's SWs (such as Final Cut) are seriously compromised in theyr performance.
Simon

Hi dangavel. I don't want to open a war about this matter but the problem is not nVidia&Trainz but nVidia&Apple that, therefore, makes Trainz not completely compatible with any SW on nVidia video cards. This started, as you correctly said, in the latest releases of High Sierra and now, on Mojave, is a serious issue for nVidia/Mac users especially in the viedeoediting industry as Apple's SWs (such as Final Cut) are seriously compromised in theyr performance.
Simon
I know, but when I installed the Gtx 970 about 4 years ago it worked really well on most software ,booted up super fast, but it would not work well with tane , I had frame rates around 15 FPS. At the time a lot of people were using gtx’s on Mac pros with good results, and trainz would actually boot and function, just really badly, I think that was with Yosemite , however once the os was updated , the gtx would not even launch tane and this was probably due to the nvidia drivers because apple approved cards such as the gtx 680 work fine., I have had a 4gb 680 work in high Sierra with no issues.

Why don't you run Bootcamper and boot into Windows?

My reason for not using bootcamp is i hardly ever do any driving, i just make and my rx580 is perfectly fine for my purposes on my mac pro ( in fat i don't get any stutters at all when i test my routes, but some items disappear if i move the camera suddenly in ultra settings. I do have a windows unit with the gtx 970 in it, but I never use it, and since I have all my software such as photoshop ,creative suite etc on the mac, its too much of a nuisance to be booting and rebooting from mac to pc.

My reason for not using bootcamp is i hardly ever do any driving, i just make and my rx580 is perfectly fine for my purposes on my mac pro ( in fat i don't get any stutters at all when i test my routes, but some items disappear if i move the camera suddenly in ultra settings. I do have a windows unit with the gtx 970 in it, but I never use it, and since I have all my software such as photoshop ,creative suite etc on the mac, its too much of a nuisance to be booting and rebooting from mac to pc.

Believe me, as I already said above it's really another gaming experience on Win 10. It 's really worth moving from an OS to another just for Trainz 2019.

Back