Hoping to recover from another self inflicted error with help from the community.

SHOPlanB

Hey all,

Once again, I've done a doozey. In a nutshell, I overwrote a default session even though it warned me it was a dependent session (I was ready to fall asleep at this point) and now my route is showing up in 2019 as faulty (No thumbnail and a triangle with an ! in it). Oh, it also had locked up hard about 15 minutes later and I already tried a database rebuild. I have the game installed on my primary drive, and all content going to a secondary drive if that helps.

Win 10 is the OS, and TS2019 is the version. Thanks in advance!

SHO

What's in your TS2019 ..\Userdata\Backups folder ?

Hello Dinorius!

In the backup folder I have the following : A bunch of kuid folders (with some having a double number followed by New Asset *example <folder> kuid 569295 100156 New Asset*
And then there's some .tzarc files listed as kuid *number* - *number*.tzarc

If there's any other information I can provide, I'll be more than happy to do it. Thanks again for the help.

The method works, but it's convoluted. A Trainz user wrote a utility that will allow you to extract the .tzarc archive, which makes seeing what's inside a whole lot easier too.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/vvmm/tzarchiver-v1-2-t102.html

How to use it.

Run the application.
Drag in a .tzarc file you want to read the contents of.
It extracts to a folder.

Not related, but very helpful too is the CDP-Explorer

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/vvmm/cdp-explorer-v2-1-t130.html

Run the application.
Drag in .CDP file.
Contents will be displayed.

Highlight asset(s) in the case of a bunch-o-locos for example, and extract that asset, or extract everything to a folder if you want.

Thanks to Trainzer vvmm for creating and hosting these utilities among others for our use.

Does the route open? as the route is not dependant on the session. Is the fault in the session? This will narrow down which part is at fault.

Hey all,

First, thank you for the help! I haven't tried recovering the route yet as I was busy battling a possessed new computer build that decided Murphy's Law just NEEDED to come into play (I can look back and laugh now, but at the time, bricks and bottles were manned and the computer was public enemy # 1). Now that I have that all sorted, I'm back to mucking about. I've decided to forgo trying to recover the route for 2 reasons. 1, it was a test route for all the new toys '19 has to offer, and second, it was just to jump in and go. Now that I have it outta my system, and have a bit more knowledge of what does what, I've moved on to a new route which is going pretty smooth. Just wanted to let everyone know that the help was greatly appreciated, and that it all worked out in the end. Cheers to all, and happy railroading!

SHO

Hey all,

First, thank you for the help! I haven't tried recovering the route yet as I was busy battling a possessed new computer build that decided Murphy's Law just NEEDED to come into play (I can look back and laugh now, but at the time, bricks and bottles were manned and the computer was public enemy # 1). Now that I have that all sorted, I'm back to mucking about. I've decided to forgo trying to recover the route for 2 reasons. 1, it was a test route for all the new toys '19 has to offer, and second, it was just to jump in and go. Now that I have it outta my system, and have a bit more knowledge of what does what, I've moved on to a new route which is going pretty smooth. Just wanted to let everyone know that the help was greatly appreciated, and that it all worked out in the end. Cheers to all, and happy railroading!

SHO

I've encountered Mr. Murphy many times in my old tech career and at home. He works along with the LGM that come to visit and screw things up for us. Thinking about it now, I have threatened more than one computer with its demise which seemed to work. After contemplating using tin snips and a hack saw to cut up one motherboard, the computer suddenly worked fine. It makes me wonder if it got the hint!

Anyway. That sounds like a good plan for your route if that's what you want to do. Going forward, I recommend two things.

1) Put your data in another location other than C:/users/SHOPlanB/App Data/Local/N3V Games/Build xxxxxxx

I put mine on my E: Drive like this: E:\TRS19_DATA. How simple is that! It's a hard drive that's dedicated 99% to TRS19_DATA and being a 2TB hard drive there's plenty of space too for that. :)

The purpose of this is to give you a folder that's not only easily accessed for content repairs and installation, but also for backups which brings up the second point.

2) BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP.

This can't be stressed enough. There are various methods, but the simplest one is to copy the full data folder to an external hard drive such as those by Seagate or Western Digital. The drives go for about $120 for a good-sized drive now. I paid $130 for a 4-TB drive a few years ago so that could be even less now. I gave that drive to another Trainzer who needed one when I got a free 8TB drive from DELL.

I believe in KISS. I use a program called Fast Copy to copy the data to my external drive. I let it run over night and it's done in the morning. It does just that. It copies the folders, and allows for various parameters such as differential copying, etc. It doesn't do the calculating thing that Windows does before the copy, which can take as long as the actual copy process, and it just does an accelerated copy to the destination.

https://fastcopy.jp/en/

Back