Metra's Newest Locomotive Purchase

bnsfc

Steam Nut
So Metra (Chicago's commuter company) is buying 15 rebuild SD70MAC's for its fleet, witch is an interesting choice considering its operations and the track/ yards it has to run in. While I'm in no doubt they will be useful, I can only really see them working well on the express trains on something like the BNSF race track to Aurora as it has 3 tracks and as it is they sometimes have to double head express trains on that line. otherwise I feel like they might have too much power to be efficient....

Article from Metra
https://metrarail.com/about-metra/n...nDjl3y9RnKBVDccaNRCSdrEqGAWiDLtVf0XUqx5YGrHN8

:D Interesting that AC vs DC is not on Parity for maintenance and replacement issues.....Durability can hurt your cash flow and Dwell Time.........

"One big improvement will be in the traction motors, which deliver the power generated by the diesel engine to the wheels. The remanufactured locomotives will have AC traction motors, which are far more durable and reliable than the DC traction motors in Metra’s older locomotives. For example, Metra currently needs to replace about 160 DC traction motors annually. On Metra Electric cars, the oldest of which have had AC traction motors for 12 years, Metra has not had to change a single traction motor."

Back