Thoughts on this for trs19

NSWGR_46Class

Just call my Captain Rude
Ok my HI end HP PC runs TANE absolutely magnificent but is like a slide show on TRS19
thinking of getting one of these with the idea to recycling my current video cards or purchasing a new one in a about 6 months
would also being using Monitors I have and SSD drive out of current machine.

How is this for a TRS19 starter would it run it ok as is - with the plan for better video care in the future

(I am planing to salary sacrifice this PC so building my own is not option has to be an off the shelf supermarket style that my salary manager can lease on purchase on my behalf)
https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop...ore-i7-desktop-tower-pc-590-p0062a-hppv590ci7

thanks

Last edited:
Immediate response is to go for the option that has the fastest - and most capable video card.
(In this case, the one with the GTX 1060 3Gb.)
T:ANE and TRS19 are both super-sensitive to GPU power. The faster, the better.

The Omen is the better bet, the graphics card in the Pavilion is low end only slightly better than the internal Intel graphics, I'd personally prefer a 6GB 1060 rather than a 3GB one, note that 520 is near the bottom of the mid range cards whereas the 1060 is in the high range cards.

GeForce GTX 1080 Ti14,208

GeForce GTX 108012,397
GeForce GTX 980 Ti11,376
GeForce GTX 107011,312
GeForce GTX 9809,627
GeForce GTX 10609,074
GeForce GTX 1060 3GB8,961
GeForce GTX 9708,618
Radeon RX 5808,443
Radeon 520845

G3D Mark Relative to Top 10 Common Videocards
As of 22nd of February 2019 - Higher results represent better performance

Need to check if whatever you get has a PSU capable of running the 1080 and that it will fit, I suspect it won't in a Pavillion case.

I just looked at the ads you posted. None of them really say anything about the video card. The video card, or GPU, is probably the most important part of your purchase. Trainz runs mostly in the GPU not the CPU.

Another consideration is that NVidia cards are prefered over all other cards. So I would ask what video card is in the rig you are purchasing. GeForce cards are the best IMO. And my 960 is barley suitable.

Christopher824 - the ads did show the included GPUs in the candidate rigs - that's why clam1952 and I are talking about the respective merits of AMD Radeon 520 vs nVidia GTX 1060.

Not sure how much that applies for TRS19 as my current PC - 64 bit windows, SSD's, 4GB Video card 16GB of ram and a 3GHZ dual core duo processor which according to FRAPS runs TANE / TMR2017 at about 75FPS and it just rips along - but with TRS19 its down to 10FPS = if it was just about GPU in theory then TRS19 should fly but it has the poor matching struggling so the CPU would have a bit to do with it as well

I just looked at the ads you posted. None of them really say anything about the video card. The video card, or GPU, is probably the most important part of your purchase. Trainz runs mostly in the GPU not the CPU.

Another consideration is that NVidia cards are prefered over all other cards. So I would ask what video card is in the rig you are purchasing. GeForce cards are the best IMO. And my 960 is barley suitable.

Yes - a core 2 duo (and not the Core 2 Quad) would most likely bottleneck the GTX 1080 in graphics-intensive loads where there's also a lot of scripts running and scenery files being simultaneously loaded in and out of memory in TRS19.
Quad core CPUs are the minimum recommended spec for both T:ANE and TRS19.
That you were able to get away with it in T:ANE is great, but that doesn't reduce the risk of lower performance in TRS19 with its more demanding graphics and higher multithreading requirements.

Last edited:
That helps quite a lot :) thanks
Yes - a core 2 duo (and not the Core 2 Quad) would most likely bottleneck the GTX 1080 in graphics-intensive loads where there's also a lot of scripts running and scenery files being simultaneously loaded in and out of memory in TRS19.
That you were able to get away with it in T:ANE is great, but that doesn't reduce the risk of lower performance in TRS19 with its more demanding graphics and higher multithreading requirements.

I have this readout on my CPU ,,,,,plus M-2 and SSD with Ram increase 16 to 32 GIG...........

SSD is Samsung EVO with Magician After burner, runs 10x faster than Seagate 5400 RPM One Tera........

NVIDIA GTX Ti 1050 chatter in the streets from local Tech's indicates a fair number of Laptops similar to my ASUS ROG may have NVIDIA's integrated into the motherboard, you faster and cheaper production if that is more than a rumor mill thing, then I am stuck with the one this ROG STRIX has....Have you heard any scuttle on this?

I would be interested hearing your comments.......

Intel® Processor Identification Utility
Version : 6.0.0211
TimeStamp : 2019/02/21 11:08:58
Operating System : Microsoft Windows NT 10.0.17134.0
Number of processors in system: 1
Current processor: 1
Active cores per processor: 6
Disabled cores per processor: 0
Processor Name: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz
Type : 0
Family : 6
Model : 158
Stepping : 10
Revision: 132
Maximum CPUID Level: 22
L1 Instruction Cache: 6 x 32 KB
L1 Data Cache: 6 x 32 KB
L2 Cache: 6 x 256 KB
L3 Cache: 9 MB
Packaging: Micro BGA
Enhanced Intel SpeedStep® Technology: Yes
MMX(TM): Yes
Intel® SSE: Yes
Intel® SSE2: Yes
Intel® SSE3: Yes
Intel® SSE4: Yes
Intel® AES-NI: Yes
Intel® AVX: Yes
Enhanced Halt State: Yes
Execute Disable Bit: Yes
Intel® Hyper-Threading Technology: Yes
Intel® 64 Architecture: Yes
Intel® virtualization technology: Yes
Intel® vt-x with extended page tables: Yes
System Graphics: Intel® UHD Graphics 630
Base TDP: 45
Expected Processor Frequency: 2.20 GHz
Reported Processor Frequency: 3.71 GHz
Expected System Bus Frequency: 100 MHz
Reported System Bus Frequency: 100 MHz

That helps quite a lot :) thanks

I have an I7 4770 CPU with 32GB ram and an ageing Gigabyte GTX780Ti and TRS19 works quite well. But I usually have such things as TurfFX and shadows turned down. The shadows annoy me so much I invariably turn them off.

I've been wanting to upgrade for a while but you can't buy GTX1080s any more and the bad PR on the RTX2080s is putting me off. So I'm waiting. I'm not sure what I'm waiting for, but I am waiting. :)
Most of my activities are creating, repairing and testing rather than running sessions. That's what I like to do.

Today I had Substance Painter, Maya LT, Blender and TRS19 (CM only) running at one time and my PC was starting to get laggy. But I wasn't surprised. I think the bottleneck is more likely to be in the disk I/O rather than the GPU or CPU. Substance will definitely tax the GPU when rendering.

p.s. I like Cowra. Always seems very busy when I pass through.

pcas1986 - I thought of you and your i7 4770 when I watched a video recently where the RedGamingTech guy tested his trusty i7 4770k CPU with an RTX 2080Ti to see if it would bottleneck the RTX card. (Quick answer - surprisingly No!)
Apparently Haswell CPUs (and later i7s obviously) aren't too challenged by such awesome graphics throughput of the 2080Ti, whereas earlier ones might struggle due to lower IPC and I/o issues.
(See the full video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhudkF3GWgQ )
Sure, the 4770k can be overclocked, and has a slightly higher base clock and turbo speed than your 4770, but there won't be too much difference in the fundamentals.
The thing that distinguishes your CPU from the OP's Core 2 Duo is that it has 4 cores and 8 threads (logical cores) due to hyperthreading. The Core 2 Duo has two cores only and no hyperthreading.

Last edited:
Need to check if whatever you get has a PSU capable of running the 1080 and that it will fit, I suspect it won't in a Pavillion case.

These cards are BIG. I just upgraded to a 1070 and need to modify the case (get to use the old angle-grinder:eek:).

Back