Boomerang Switch

funnnyfarm

I’ve been building on my route “Great Northern Scenic Division 1893-1900” for 3 years. I started it in T:ane and runs great there. This route is large and will take a long time to do. So when TRS19 came out I downloaded it to Content Creator. I also made sure it had no errors and missing assets. When it came out it had some errors and missing assets. I am not a computer programmer. When there is a asset that is faulty, I usually delete it (way above my pay grade). And with missing assets, I usually download them by its self. Usually that takes care of it. If not I find a suitable asset and then I go in the config of the route, and for the faulty assets I delete the asset number and the numerical number that is in line for it. The missing asset that I won’t download, I replace the asset number with the suitable asset number.
The route ran great for 3 days. I used <kuid2:87145:24010:3> CNR Switch Stand Main 1 and <kuid2:87145:24011:3> CNR Switch Stand Main 2 for my main line switches. Then the fun started. First I found a suitable switch that could take their place and then edit them. It edited and ran the first time. The second time I went to open the route I had a error again but this time it was both of the switches back and a new one <kuid:-25:761> redcorona. I went in to config again and this time I completely deleted the two CNR Main line switches. But could not find the <Kuid:25:761> in the config to delete it. I have tried this a few times so I thought I would ask the pros for help. Thanks funnnyfarm

First of all you can't delete the KUID reference in the route config.txt. That will only remove the reference in the route temporarily, and if there are any route updates and modifications, or even a database repair and asset you 'deleted' will reappear again. The reason is the references in the config.txt are for filtering and searching, and the actual asset is referenced in the route's files that cannot be edited directly.

As you might expect, this issue is not inherent to just TRS19 and affects previous versions as well. You were probably lucky in the past and didn't update anything in the route, or performed a DBR, which would have brought this asset back from the past.

At this point, I don't think an EDR would even repair this route, and to get around your problem now I recommend updating the route first in T:ANE and then importing it again into TRS19 if you want to continue using the CNR switch stands. The alternative is to import this same route again as is and see how that works.

So what is the proper way to eliminate Faulty Assets and Missing Assets. And what is a DBR and EDR? thanks funnnyfarm

So what is the proper way to eliminate Faulty Assets and Missing Assets. And what is a DBR and EDR? thanks funnnyfarm

The proper way to replace a faulty asset is to delete it or repair it using Content Manager. In the case of an asset that's used in a route, you want to attempt a repair especially if it's something like a switch stand, which would be a pain to have to hunt down and replace manually. If you need to fix an asset, ask here for details, and we can assist you. With this particular asset, it's probably a fast fix anyway using PEV's Images2TGA utility.

A DBR, or database repair is found on the Launcher or in Content Manager under the Development Menu item. You click on Development and then click on Rebuild Database. In most cases this will be sufficient an enough and you'll be on your way again. In the even you need to do a Extended Database Repair, usually after numerous crashes and really awful weirdness occurring, then you need to go to the Rebuild Database, but press CTRL-key at the same time as you click on Rebuild Database to invoke an EDR. The EDR can take a very long time because it does extensive checks of the data integrity.

Sorry one more question.Can I delete the Unknowns I can't find? Thanks funnnyfarm

You can't delete unknown assets directly in Content Manager. Unknown assets can only be deleted within a route or session using the delete missing assets utility, which is found under the Main menu while in the Route or Session editor (Surveyor).

Back