Flashing Ditchlights - Driver Command?

tallyken

Would like to control flashing ditchlights for suitable locos under AI rather than having to use mouse or keyboard.
A Driver Command (probably simple toggle on/off) would seem appropriate for this.
Does such a command exist?

If not, I'm prepared to write one (and share), but I'm unable to find the necessary parameters in the Wiki.
(They might be there, I just haven't found them!)

Would appreciate if our super scripters and/or devs (or anyone) could shed some "light" on this. (pun intended)
Best Wishes, Ken

I know of no such command. It’d be nice to have an invisible object to place on the tracks to toggle it on and off

Dave, thanks for your reply. I agree, and would build this too. It is the information that is missing - the scripting parameters for flashing ditchlights.
Ken

I have always wondered when Ditchlights are to be used. Is it right before a crossing or at other times, too?

I have always wondered when Ditchlights are to be used. Is it right before a crossing or at other times, too?
Per GCOR 5.9.5*, they are meant to be on whenever the locomotive is moving over public crossings and anytime the headlight is required to be on bright.

The flashing is just a bonus thing usually activated by a pressure switch between the horn and valve that is not required by any regulation. In some cases there are additional solenoids in the cab that allow for flashing activation without horn use.

*mileage may vary under other rules such as NORAC

Ditch Light operation

From my knowledge being around the Railroads, it depends on how the company wants this light used,

Here in California, at least in So Cal area, the Freights if I recall, keep the Ditch lights on Steady all the time, and Passengers Trains due too, but when passenger Trains approach the XING, and press their Horn, then the lights will temporarily go into flash mode, and I was told the main reason for this, IF a Vehicle or Driver was on the Xing Stopped, their peripheral vision should see the Flashing and alert them a Train was bearing down, and hopefully they would move.

:( Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't tragically...........Just remember what the Engineer and Brakeman see before a Collision, it is heart wrenching for all involved......

I see drivers wearing ear plugs on both ears, listening, heaven knows what, and it is illegal, only one ear can have Ear Phone on...........:(

This very bad habit also keeps them from hearing emergence Vehicles, Ambulance, Fire Paramedics horns and sirens..........Etc

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=Railroad+Ditch+Light+use

This is a job for the scripters/programmers to figure out. Not being a programmer myself, but thinking about it, I wonder how difficult that might be. There's a key-associated with it in Driver, therefore, there is an action associated with it with specific locomotives. A trigger-type asset could invoke the flashing ditchlights just as the invisible horn-sound assets do.

Thanks for your reply, John. You are correct - this is a simple project. I would have no problem scripting it EXCEPT for the lack of the parameters.
If these are not published, then I may have to write script to "sniff" the messages that occur when the key/mouse click occur. Makes the job a bit more difficult. Hoping that a dev may pick up on this thread and put the info in the Wiki.

Thanks for your reply, John. You are correct - this is a simple project. I would have no problem scripting it EXCEPT for the lack of the parameters.
If these are not published, then I may have to write script to "sniff" the messages that occur when the key/mouse click occur. Makes the job a bit more difficult. Hoping that a dev may pick up on this thread and put the info in the Wiki.

I know almost nothing about scripting, But I wonder if it could somehow be tied into the Horn sound. The Ditch Lights begin working when the first horn is sounded, then stop after a certain length of time.

Success! Even though the ditch light function is not documented in the Wiki, it does exist in the vehicle.gs file.
Now have a driver command to flash the lights.
Thanks to all sharing comments in this thread. Ken

Would you be wiling to share how you created the trigger with the info in the .GS file or be willing to share the trigger itself?

Back