An unusual way for two railroads to cross each other

jordon412

33 Year Old Railfan
Located in Queensland, Australia, this unusual railway crossing was designed to so that mainline trains could pass thru the crossing with this sugar cane railway at mainline speed. If a normal diamond was used, a speed restriction would have to be imposed for the mainline trains, hence the creation of this unusual railroad crossing.

:) This is so Cool,

I remember seeing this on a Website about a year or two ago.......IF it works, and not broken, then don't change a thing.......!! :hehe:

Who would ever believe there is something like this around........Thanks for sharing......:cool:

I saw that video awhile ago. That is a unique crossing.

I imagine our late friend Ben would have made one of those if he saw this. That looks like it's right up his alley.

Are there signals protecting the railway crossing? Who or what operate the moving track sections?

I don't know about the signalling details, but it appears to be automated like a railroad gates are triggered by an approaching train.

The narrow gauge line is not as frequently used either being a seasonally operated sugar cane railroad. The narrow gauge is a 24-inch gauge line while the mainline is the Queensland Rail 42-inch line.

It's amazing how big a 42-inch gauge line appears compared to a 2-foot line.

Is it a crossing, or is it a bridge?

;) After watching the Video, it appears as Track Bridge that lays over and across the 42" mainline Rails, and I would think because the weight is not near what the 42" under Track can carry, there is not any severe wear or tear on the larger Track, since this is only used for end of growth season and those Sugar Cane Cars plus the loco shouldn't be that heavy of strain......

There might be a different opinion from others with better knowledge of this rather unique operation?

If one looks carefully you will see that the NG bridge does not rest on the mainline rails but is carried by the metal posts. Also there does not appear to be any sag as the NG loco passes over.

Are there signals protecting the railway crossing? Who or what operate the moving track sections?

There's a signal and trap point on the narrow gauge line either side of the crossing and a signal on the mainline. These types of crossing also exist in South Africa.

Back