Backing up all installed non-built in

Chris750

I am going to uninstall my TANE do to crashes, I think it somehow became corrupt. To back up all stuff that has been installed from DLS and JR etc do I just do a content search of INSTALLED and BUILT IN = FALSE or is there something else I need to include?

Thanks.

Too many places to look for help now, there was nothing in surveyor about it, I guess from no on I will have to check Steam too. Thanks.

Hi Chris,

I was in a meeting today when I read your message for help here.....All I could do was post the link during some lectures......

GO to this link and please read the help menu link

http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/Help:Restoring_Content

Then go over here and see this Google link and the different ways to do what you need.....

https://support.trainzportal.com/in...or-restoring-a-backup-version-of-your-content

In addition to this,

If you have a external backup drive of 1/2 Terabyte or so, for quick and easy, backup your whole Trainz Directory as a Copy to Command, or A Drag and Drop......That way you have all the files and assets from which to pull your Assets out later, have a second copy of all, at least you know, you have everything........I maintain one extra copy on my computer of Assets only, one in cloud with Carbonite Backup, and one copy on Seagate portable 5 Gig Drive.........I hate having to Download from DSL, and all the heavens who knows what other Sites I got my assets, Routes etc from........

As a person, one of many, I have had hard drive fails, and lost parts of my important docks at times........I learned a valuable lesson in having to recreate lost documents from printouts, but when it comes to pictures and Assets, sometimes that is never possible in this day, our electric age.....I have known people who lost all their families Baby Pictures and could not replace the ones they had.....

Of course I might be going overboard here, but just want to give food for thought better to have 2 extra backups, in addition to what you have on your computer.....There are members here who have lost years of Route Creation and Asset Creation.....

I'll post this as PM to your Mail Box too, just in case you didn't check back tonight.....Hope this helps you........

Is Tane corrupt or some assets used in the routes causing problems? A new install might not cure the problem if it is asset related because you will be putting the same assets back into the new install. All the assets are in the build folder that your trainz, settings, install gives direction to. You can just move that folder out of the way, reinsall and move that folder back.

Hi Chris,
-snip-
Of course I might be going overboard here, but just want to give food for thought better to have 2 extra backups, in addition to what you have on your computer.....There are members here who have lost years of Route Creation and Asset Creation.....
-snip-........

I work from home and my computers are also my paycheck. If your work (or play) is really important to you do have cloud backup in case of fire or theft. In those cases it is possible to lose 20 backups if you have them. I do a scheduled bootable disk clone each nite to a "pocket drive." When I leave the house those drives go with me. May seem like over-kill but again, my computers are my livelihood. If my house burns down I can buy a new PC, hang the bootable drive on it, and continue on the computer as if nothing has happened. I mention this because people forget about possible fire and theft.

Back on topic.... Curious if you are on Mac or PC... Can you associate your crashes with any particular action?

Last edited:
Back