My First Rant... Lack of descriptions on Routes/Sessons AGAIN. Maintain a TRS19 list?

I hadn't even considered that. Some of the routes on DLS come from mobile devices? That explains a LOT....
plus I forgot to mention, the reason why these mobile users upload so many junk routes is because they use the DLS as a way to save their progress because unlike the PC or Mac users, they don’t have a save feature.

Agree 100%. In fact, I posted a similar rant the other day...trying to find sessions for the Canadian Rockies route in Trainz 2019, I found very few session makers mention what route the session is for! Don't get me wrong there are some and hats off to them. How hard would it be to give a mention what route your sessions are for?

It seems some creators fail to appreciate the importance of meta data. They are prepared to work for hours on their superb creation, but don't add the information that will make it easy for others to find, use and enjoy their hard work.

Who loses out? Everyone.

I know this has been discussed ad nauseum... I can't keep silent any longer.

I've only been using Trainz since last October. I've not had a good rant yet. But if anything is worth a rant it's when I try to find routes of interest to download from CM and the contributor didn't even bother to provide the most basic information in the description. Heck, what am I saying. A good number don't even have a description.

C'mon people. This is crazy.

If I were running the CM contributors would at least have to give version of Trainz a route was done in, size of route (baseboards), and some basics such as "scenic," "shunting," etc. And sessions??? Ha! A session that says "A session for my route" and no route name is even given. Really????

Isn't it possible for someone to "reject" submissions without any description???????

Please.....................

Is there any way we can start and maintain a TRS19 Route/Session list (along with T:ANE routes that work well in TRS19)?????

Rant over....

This has been a pretty good rant, especially for a first-time ranter. I look forward to future eruptions.

Last edited:
It seems some creators fail to appreciate the importance of meta data. They are prepared to work for hours on their superb creation, but don't add the information that will make it easy for others to find, use and enjoy their hard work.

Who loses out? Everyone.

Meta Data? Is that how the info is "added?" - Yes, few people understand meta data. I create eBooks and when you mention meta data to people eyes glaze over.

I'm going to have to submit something just to see how it's done and see why adding a description is just so hard and controversial. (But I won't mention in the description what it is.) I envisioned text fields to be filled out.

For the uninitiated, the meta data in Trainz assets in mostly stored in the config.txt file, plus a few other files depending on the type of asset.

In the config.txt file the most commonly misused meta data fields are "description", "username" and "thumbnails". None of these are difficult or time consuming to fill out correctly but, as noted by amigacooke, too many creators either ignore them or do not understand them. Meta data is just one of several reasons why the DLS can be difficult to search or make sense of.

Back