Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My First Rant... Lack of descriptions on Routes/Sessons AGAIN. Maintain a TRS19 list?

Default My First Rant... Lack of descriptions on Routes/Sessons AGAIN. Maintain a TRS19 list?

I know this has been discussed ad nauseam... I can't keep silent any longer.

I've only been using Trainz since last October. I've not had a good rant yet. But if anything is worth a rant it's when I try to find routes of interest to download from CM and the contributor didn't even bother to provide the most basic information in the description. Heck, what am I saying. A good number don't even have a description.

C'mon people. This is crazy.

If I were running the CM contributors would at least have to give version of Trainz a route was done in, size of route (baseboards), and some basics such as "scenic," "shunting," etc. And sessions??? Ha! A session that says "A session for my route" and no route name is even given. Really????

Isn't it possible for someone to "reject" submissions without any description???????

Please.....................

Is there any way we can start and maintain a TRS19 Route/Session list (along with T:ANE routes that work well in TRS19)?????

Rant over....
    TRS19 98592: Win 10, ASUS B450M-A/CSM, GTX 1060-6 Windforce
    (also a Mac install)

The system is computer automated ... and who would be elected the censor ?

Censoring what? I didn't suggest anything be censored.
    (also a Mac install)

Quote Originally Posted by 1611mac View Post
    the contributor didn't even bother to provide the most basic information in the description. Heck, what am I saying. A good number don't even have a description.
    Isn't it possible for someone to "reject" submissions without any description???????
    I agree, a description would help alot

Censoring what? I didn't suggest anything be censored.

>Isn't it possible for someone to "reject" submissions without any description???????

Sounds like censorship to me.

Cheerio John

Blog Entries

Ahh, to dream ☺

I am certain that many of us have felt the same way at various times. But alas no. One of the great strengths of the Trainz community is that we accept submissions from all - no entry test, no minimum levels of ability or competence required. That is how we all (if you ignore the dieties amongst us who can create masterpieces without raising a sweat) learned our trade.

So patience Grasshopper. Look to the Freeware Announcements Forum for your guidance and do not be led astray by those who lack understanding and/or common courtesy. I always avoid those routes and sessions that have no worthwhile descriptions, thumbnails and a Freeware announcement with follow-up support and, as a result, my life is so much more relaxed.
    A member of the "Party Machine". Now if only I could remember where they are holding the party!

I agree. No description and no properly composed thumbnail that shows what the download is I simply don't bother with it. If the original creator didn't think enough of their asset to describe it properly and to provide a good picture then plainly they didn't care much about it to start with and it's likely to be rubbish.
    Narcolepsy is not napping.

HP XW8400 Xeon Workstation E5320 quad core, 16GB RAM, 500Gb Hard drive, Nvidia GTX 960, Win 7.

Quote Originally Posted by KotangaGirl View Post
    it's likely to be rubbish.
    Not so ...A lot of the DLS assets have absolutely no preview image, nor any description ... And some are absolute works of art, magnificent wonders of the world

Blog Entries

The DLS needs serious work, a lot of things need to be improved. Thumbnails need to be mandatory.
    Its Ktrain! For gods sakes its Ktrain! Typos are a thing you know!

Quite allot of the DLS has one same generic preview image, that in no way resembles the asset ... and the description has one same generic phrase that never describes what the asset really is

Quote Originally Posted by cascaderailroad View Post
    Not so ...A lot of the DLS assets have absolutely no preview image, nor any description ... And some are absolute works of art, magnificent wonders of the world
    The only problem is how would you know without having to download it to look at it and then (as is usual) delete it because it was no darn good. I agree there are some 'absolute works of art' hidden away, but finding them is the difficult bit.

And don't get me started on the ipad garbage on the DLS........
    Last edited by KotangaGirl; February 18th, 2019 at 09:26 PM. Reason: more to say
    Narcolepsy is not napping.

HP XW8400 Xeon Workstation E5320 quad core, 16GB RAM, 500Gb Hard drive, Nvidia GTX 960, Win 7.

United States of America, Arkansas, Jonesboro

Quote Originally Posted by cascaderailroad View Post

I agree with this, but I have to say the vast VAST majority of the routes on the DLS are rubbish (garbage). I never download any routes from the DLS. In fact, I never download ANY routes from anywhere, as I prefer to play with my own creations, but if I did, I'd look to the forums for guidance (and screenshots) on which routes to check out.

Default We are not machines

The problem is that people have this thing called 'free will'. This means they do what they want to do, not what they are told to do and no amount of persuasion, education, prayers will change this. You can make the description field mandatory, but then some people may enter 'blah blah' or they can even write an elaborate story on how magnificent this route is and you still may not like it. I don't download any routes from DLS, I don't download any routes from anywhere, I only play with my own routes and I still don't like them. But at least I am happy I have a choice.
    Last edited by obirek; February 18th, 2019 at 11:45 PM. Reason: Change the ending.

Blog Entries

I will echo obirek's comment and add that having a thumbnail is no guarantee of quality either. There are many assets on the DLS that have a thumbnail image that shows just the contradictory message "This is not a thumbnail". Do you want to waste the bandwidth charges by downloading them to check them out?

Quote Originally Posted by ktain.ny View Post
    The DLS needs serious work, a lot of things need to be improved.
    A statement that has often appeared in these forums. The problem is agreeing on the finer details of the "serious work". Who is going to do it? What will be their criteria? Will only certain approved creators be allowed to upload (if so how do new creators get started)? Will it require all uploads to be vetted before appearing on the DLS (I can already hear the howls of protest over the delays that that will cause)? Etc, etc.

No matter what decisions are made about "quality", there will always be demands for exceptions. What I consider to be "rubbish" others may consider to be "gems".

I do recall N3V admitting some time ago that they inadvertently let the "genie out of the bottle" with iPhone, Android and iPad uploads (but I concede that the "recall" may just be my imagination), in any case that horse has bolted.
    A member of the "Party Machine". Now if only I could remember where they are holding the party!

Quote Originally Posted by johnwhelan View Post
    >Isn't it possible for someone to "reject" submissions without any description???????

Sounds like censorship to me.

Cheerio John
    When you buy something online you have a field where you are asked to enter your credit card number. If you do not follow directions and don't enter your card info you get an error. Are you being censored? No. You are free to use your card but it is up to you to enter the correct information. There is some obligation with your freedom to use your card. This is not censorship. It is common sense.

And I guess I'm being censored every time I am forced to enter my username and password to get on the forums?
    Last edited by 1611mac; February 19th, 2019 at 07:20 AM.
    (also a Mac install)