My TRS19 U.S. Standard Gauge Procedural Track Project

MSGSapper,
Was the reason you scaled the height of your 132 lb rail mesh to 5 inches instead of the prototypical 7.125 inches due to causing errors in Trainz if the height of the track asset from the ground to the top rail exceeds a certain height?

I am currently creating a 136 lb rail mesh scaled at the prototypical height of 7.31 inches.

Blender screenshots of my 136 lb rail mesh.

Rail profile used to create mesh: Transport Rail 136RE (TR68) - ArcelorMittal

You are going to find that creating PBR procedural track is a very frustrating experience at times, even with all the source code I provided. There are real height tradeoffs between the following:

1. Track
2. Ties
3. Road bed
4. Maintaining compatibility with other track.

It took a lot of trial and error on my part to get it right. I expect rivet counter types trying to create 100% prototypical track will be giving up in frustration at some point. I wish you luck and this is the extent of my help to you on this, as its been some time since I last did that project so I don't remember most of it.

Bob

Last edited:
I have sent @samplaire the pm, he said he’ll check back on tracks after his week holiday return.

Regards,
darrren

If Samplaire is interested in creating the Safelok III clips and rail pad, I would like it to be scaled accordingly to fit the 6 inch (152.4 mm) wide base of my prototypical 136 lb rail mesh. Samplaire can use my 136 lb rail mesh as reference to scale accordingly.

You are going to find that creating PBR procedural track is a very frustrating experience at times, even with all the source code I provided. There are real height tradeoffs between the following:

1. Track
2. Ties
3. Road bed
4. Maintaining compatibility with other track.

It took a lot of trial and error on my part to get it right. I expect rivet counter types trying to create 100% prototypical track will be giving up in frustration at some point. I wish you luck and this is the extent of my help to you on this, as its been some time since I last did that project so I don't remember most of it.

Bob
MSGSapper,
I am experimenting to see how your procedural track would look with prototypical 136 lb rail and unfortunately had encountered an unexpected issue with rendering. One side of the rail does show texture however the other side is transparent. Could it be due to UV mapping? Have you encountered this issue before when creating your procedural track? If you did, how did you solve this issue?

Screenshot of issue

I had solved the issue in the previous post by using recalculate normals feature in Blender which flips the faces to their proper orientation. Here is what TRS19 SAP US track looks like with my prototypical 136 lb rail (scaled to prototypical height and width)

TRS19 SAP US track with 136 lb rail

Comparison with TRS19 SAP US track with 136 lb rail with JR US track #1- 132 lb (wide ballast)

Attempting to connect TRS19 SAP US track with 136 lb rail with JR US track #1- 132 lb (wide ballast). Compatibility issue noticed where heads of connecting rails are not touching each other. This issue could be solved by lowering the position of the rail, ties (sleepers), tie plates, and ballast in Blender.

I have a couple suggestions.

1. Get your own thread.
  2. Stick a railcar on those tracks, you may find the wheels floating above or sunk inside the railhead of one or the other tracks.

Last edited:
I had solved the issue in the previous post by using recalculate normals feature in Blender which flips the faces to their proper orientation. Here is what TRS19 SAP US track looks like with my prototypical 136 lb rail (scaled to prototypical height and width)

TRS19 SAP US track with 136 lb rail

Comparison with TRS19 SAP US track with 136 lb rail with JR US track #1- 132 lb (wide ballast)

Attempting to connect TRS19 SAP US track with 136 lb rail with JR US track #1- 132 lb (wide ballast). Compatibility issue noticed where heads of connecting rails are not touching each other. This issue could be solved by lowering the position of the rail, ties (sleepers), tie plates, and ballast in Blender.

Could you please create a forum conversation thread of your own for your rail project instead of using mine. Thanks.

Bob

MSGSapper,
I am going to release the modified version of your track asset where your 132 lb rails are replaced with prototypical 136 lb rails on Trainz DLS. Before releasing this asset on DLS, are there any copyrighted parameters such as parameters set for the LOD that need to be modified?

kuangdan11

MSGSapper,
I am going to release the modified version of your track asset where your 132 lb rails are replaced with prototypical 136 lb rails on Trainz DLS. Before releasing this asset on DLS, are there any copyrighted parameters such as parameters set for the LOD that need to be modified?

kuangdan11

the way you went about this shows you really don't seem to understand that you are probably offending the original creator, you've repeatedly criticized what he created in the first place and then ignored the fact that he repeatedly has expressed the desire not to bother with any discussion on this topic. This is NOT the best way to go about getting people to cooperate with you. I'm all for being prototypical and accurace but in this case, you just seem completely over the top as well as utterly insensitive to others feelings. .

MSGSapper,

kuangdan11

Here is what they license section of the config.txt file for <kuid2:439337:103187:1> TRS19 SAP Track U.S. 132LB SG Mesh Library-Revised says:

license: "You may re-skin as desired and no permission from me is needed. My only restrictions are that any content item you produce with this must be uploaded to the Auran DLS only and must be freeware. Other than that have fun with this item!"

This is what the instructions_read_first.txt found in the Blender folder says:

"I am providing these files with the understanding that I will provide NO technical support of any kind for them. You are strictly on your own with them."

Bob

Back