Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My TRS19 U.S. Standard Gauge Procedural Track Project

Thank you for creating this wonderful track and ballast. It's the best-looking track by far for US routes.

United States of America, Arkansas, Harrison

The new version of my build 4.2 U.S. Standard Gauge procedural prototypical 132LB rail is now available for download on the DLS as follows:

Shiny Rail Series

SAP Protrack U.S. 132LB SG, FB, TP with Spikes, Shiny
    KUID2:439337:102580:1

SAP Protrack U.S. 132LB SG, FB, TP with Spikes, Shiny, No Ballast
    KUID2:439337:102786:1

SAP Protrack U.S. 132LB SG, FB, Shiny, Track Only
    KUID2:439337:102789:1

Rusty Rail Series

SAP Protrack U.S. 132LB SG, FB, TP with Spikes, Rusty
    KUID2:439337:102745:1

SAP Protrack U.S. 132LB SG, FB, TP with Spikes, Rusty, No Ballast
    KUID2:439337:102784:1

SAP Protrack U.S. 132LB SG, FB, Rusty, Track Only
    KUID2:439337:102787:1

Matching Ballast Ground Textures:

PBR Ballast 1
    KUID:439337:102922

SAP Ballast 1 Seasonal
    KUID2:439337:102804:1

Demonstration TRS19 route which shows my new rail in use

Progressive Rail Jesse James Line - TRS19
    KUID2:439337:102147:2

Enjoy!

Bob
    Master Sergeant/E8, U.S. Army, Retired (1972-1993)

I have decided to start Phase II, which is the TRS19 version of the track with 3D PBR textures, and am working on it now.

I can go one of two ways with Phase II. So here is my question to you all:

Should I:

Option1: Make this a new version of the existing track KUID but for build 4.6?

or

Option 2: Make this a separate version for build 4.6 under it's own KUID?

There's pro and cons to either approach. I am leaning towards option 1 at present, but might consider option 2 if the consensus of comments and reply to this thread thinks it's better to go that way.

As for the existing track:

Now available for download on the DLS:

SAP Protrack U.S. 132LB Standard Gauge Track Mesh Library
    KUID2:439337:102588:2

The release of the track mesh library addresses a number of cosmetic issues, especially with the track ties/sleepers.

Bob

United States of America, Delaware, Dover

Totally separate version

Harold
    Last edited by hminky; March 12th, 2019 at 04:01 PM.

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

I agree with Harold. Two separate versions because that will work for everyone, although it is a bit of extra work. The reason is that if we've already done some route building with your current track and textures, the update to PBR will break things.
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    T:ANE Build: 94829
    TRS2019: 98592

United States of America, Georgia, Rocky Face
    Blog Entries

I agree also.
    Trainz - Easy as Pi

Me four. Totally separate version. Thanks for your work!

Andrew

First of all, based on the comments, Phase II will be a separate new KUID release of the track.

I found this resource, that I did not know existed, yesterday that I thought I would pass onto anyone else considering doing TRS19 track:

http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/i...rack_for_T:ANE

Although on the face of it it would appear to a casual first look that it only applies to T:ANE, I found that the example resource files that were included were all in FBX format and I was able to import them without issue into Blender. What I saw there has made me go back to the drawing board on Phase II of my track project and start over from scratch. In all the years I have been in Trainz I have never undertaken to build track from scratch until recently. It has been challenging but it is the only way I can get the real U.S. standard gauge track with flat bottom rail that I need for all my U.S. routes that I am slowly converting to full TRS19 standards.

One of the issues, and major differences, between the old ProTrack and the new TRS19 track it turns out is the required use of Blade Slide Chairs which were not in the original ProTrack other then in a very notional form (ie; the "invisible.im" mesh file). I believe this might have had a bearing on the problem I was encountering yesterday as I did not have blade slide chairs and was attempting to use the old ProTrack invisible mesh in it's place.

Those files at that resource link above should make my job a lot easier then it has been to date, although I am starting the Phase II project all over again. Such is the learning curve for migrating things to a new major Trainz release and while trying to learn Blender at the same time.

Bob

Footnote: When importing those FBX files into Blender 2.79 you will need to do the following for each mesh you import:

1. Re-do the nodes in the node editor.
    2. Re-do the UV map in the UV/Image editor.

The animation part comes across just fine in Blender, which is a real help!
    Last edited by MSGSapper; March 15th, 2019 at 10:06 AM.

Progress report:

I now have all the FBX files from the link example track project resource imported into Blender. I have changed the rail and chairs to the U.S ones I use and modified the end caps to remove the rail end cap portion as I don't use them or need them. The only thing remaining is to UV Unwrap and map each mesh to the textures once again. That part will be a bit tedious to say the least.

I really wish I had known about this example track project resource earlier. It would have saved me a lot of time and frustration trying to migrate ProTrack to TRS19 standards. I have been very pleasantly surprised at how good those example FBX's were and how complete and well organized the example procedural track project was. Basically you have everything you need to make TRS19 track. I will be also adding some additional support for rusty rails into the project, as I did for the build 3.7 ProTrack project I did. The textures in this example project are also very good and better laid out for PBR then the ProTrack ones were. My hats off to who ever made this example track project!

BTW once I have completed my track I intend to make all the Blender 2.79 project files available for anyone to use, assuming I can find somewhere to host the zip file. I don't have a website anymore and I don't want to have to respond to email requests. This unknown person helped me, so I in turn want to help others if I can.

Bob

Lightbulb Related content

With permission of MSGSapper I am creating a few "addons" or "extensions" to his set of tracks.

I have a bunch of things in mind and even though most of them are relatively simple asset, life is preventing me from creating them at the speed I had hoped. Earlier this week I decided to simply start uploading what I have instead of waiting till I have all the things I had in mind ready. So here are the first 4 assets that match MSGSappers mesh and texture (as he was so kind to share those with me already):

What you see in the above picture are...:

• kuid:645812:5162 - Protrack U.S. 132LB FB, Rusty, Single rail only
    • kuid:645812:5163 - Protrack U.S. 132LB FB, Shiny, Single rail only
    • kuid:645812:5164 - Protrack U.S. SG, tie (single)
    • kuid:645812:5169 - Protrack U.S. SG, checkrails

The first two have been available for a few days, the other two should be available within the next 36 hours.
    All the rails are splines, the tie is a "building".

A few more things to come (eventually).

Enjoy!

Edit:
    ... and I just learned (after uploading obviously) that I should have called those checkrails "guard rails". O well, hope the thumb is clear enough. I will consider renaming the asset if I do an update (unless someone can tell me "checkrails" is also a correct name).
    Last edited by oknotsen; March 15th, 2019 at 06:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by oknotsen View Post

• kuid:645812:5162 - Protrack U.S. 132LB FB, Rusty, Single rail only
    • kuid:645812:5163 - Protrack U.S. 132LB FB, Shiny, Single rail only
    • kuid:645812:5164 - Protrack U.S. SG, tie (single)
    • kuid:645812:5169 - Protrack U.S. SG, checkrails
    Nice! Thanks for these. Kind of like an expansion pack!

Andrew

Have new textures for the U.S.132LB track with a browner version of the JR rail texture.

Didn't feel like doing a new version so the textures override the old.

http://www.chainsawjunction.com/image/rail.tga

http://www.chainsawjunction.com/image/ballast-b.tga

http://www.chainsawjunction.com/imag...t-b-normal.tga

Those go into the <kuid2:439337:102588:1> SAP Protrack U.S. 132LB Standard Gauge Track Mesh Library

Do whatever you want with the textures.

Also works in TANE.

Thanks for the great track.

Harold
    Last edited by hminky; March 17th, 2019 at 12:46 PM.

THANK YOU *****SO***** MUCH FOR THE NEW TRACK.
    Lack us US prototype track was driving me nuts.

H.Fithers

Quote Originally Posted by horacefithers View Post
    THANK YOU *****SO***** MUCH FOR THE NEW TRACK.
    Lack us US prototype track was driving me nuts.

H.Fithers
    You are more then welcome! I know what you mean as this was the driving force behind this project to provide a real U.S. track for Trainz.

BTW I am in the last stages of creating a brand new TRS19 U.S. 132LB Flat Bottom rail track with tie plates and spikes. This will have 3D PBR textures and the ballast bed will look a lot better then anything currently available in TRS19. The rail ties will also be more prototypical (ie; 7” x 9” x 8.5’ spaced 19.5" center to center). FYI the information for the ties came from the Railway Tie Association Website at:

https://www.rta.org/faqs

Creating track for TRS19 has proven extremely difficult. The main problem was with integrating the PBR textures. I was wondering why all the ballast beds that came with the TRS19 track in TRS19 had virtually no ballast beds at all. Now I know why. To maintain compatibility height wise with all other existing track you must be willing to make trade offs in order to maintain the correct height. The PBR textures complicates this meaning you must either have a very low bed or be willing to sacrifice prototypical height of other components such as either the ties or the rail. Balancing all of this in a way that kept everything looking good was a real challenge. BTW this new track is no longer based on ProTrack at all. I have had to redesign a lot of the meshes from the following location to make all this work correctly.

http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/i...rack_for_T:ANE

Here is a screenshot of my new TRS19 track:

Hopefully this new track with its variations will be available sometime late next week.

When this project is complete I intend to make all my Blender project files available to any content designer who wants them if I can find a website willing to host this zip file package download.

Bob
    Last edited by MSGSapper; March 22nd, 2019 at 08:56 AM.

Looks really great, thanks for all your hard work.

Harold