My TRS19 U.S. Standard Gauge Procedural Track Project

Thanks for the new track. My Elstoko ballast "skin" works great in the new track.

trs19a_007.jpg

Harold

Question on Version control and Obsolete Status

:wave: Good Morning Master Sergeant,

A new day, a new week, I salute your efforts in providing some Track we have not had before......

And as for the shininess, in TRS19 I can relate big Time.....As it goes thru a lot of my other Assets, especially Water when viewed at different angles of attack.......And not to just compound that, I also have Bridges, Signals, Houses and even some odd Rolling Stock, Oil Storage Tanks etc, that are showing a Ghostly Translucent View...In fact they almost look like they're not there at all, really eerie!!!!!!

https://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?151528-Legacy-routes-in-TRS2019

This reminds me of our Growing Pains, when TANE was first introduced......:hehe:

:cool: Aw but then there is the Large Routes I can run now, and my new ASUS ROG with NVIDIA, I can see much better graphics contextually speaking.........A mixed bag if you will.......The foot soldiers will figure a way out of this conundrum, we just need to let time and innovation, the Mother of invention, works it's magic.....;)

:confused: One last thing,

I want to make sure I get this Straight in my noggin????

If a creator makes a version of something, and you have it in your Route(s) then he makes an update, newer or changed version to upgrade, repair etc, assigns say Ver 2, then, when I download that newer version, and I see it Obsoletes the older version, does it then change the old one in the Route to the newer version?

My understanding was Authors have to use Obsolete Tables in all the Asset Versions, so it acts like a Domino to trip the older Versions out to Obsolete Status. But if they forget and don't write the Obsolete part in each newer Version, then it doesn't happen.....Is this correct? or did I misunderstand something here?

Could you set me straight on this........

==========================================================
Update: Just saw in this other Thread

https://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?151528-Legacy-routes-in-TRS2019
hminky

He did an environment adjusted that seemed to help with Shininess

MSG one shows how he did it, I'm going to try this out, because I have strange shadows on Hill sides etc, and I notice I could fix the shadow some, by changing the Angle of hill, but then that changes the look of the Hill or Mountain, so maybe this do better......???

Update#2: Thank you Sir for clearing that up,

I didn't know it mattered if your Route was open or not when updating,:eek: I figured it would catch up, so that is very important point to be aware of.....I usually do close my Routes when doing downloads, but now I will make sure I do it as a matter of Course to insure integrity of the update and obsolete process.....

Sure would make a difference if it was open, then I had to go back and use Bulk Replace, which I find does not always do 100% replacements........:wave:

Last edited:
Josh Drumm's Reading & Northern with the TRS2019 Environment adjusted to run legacy routes better.

taned_003.jpg

Great track

Harold

Last edited:
I want to make sure I get this Straight in my noggin???? If a creator makes a version of something, and you have it in your Route(s) then he makes an update, newer or changed version to upgrade, repair etc, assigns say Ver 2, then, when I download that newer version, and I see it Obsoletes the older version, does it then change the old one in the Route to the newer version? My understanding was Authors have to use Obsolete Tables in all the Asset Versions, so it acts like a Domino to trip the older Versions out to Obsolete Status. But if they forget and don't write the Obsolete part in each newer Version, then it doesn't happen.....Is this correct? or did I misunderstand something here? Could you set me straight on this........

Blue:

Thanks for your feedback and other information!

In content manager when I want to create a new version to update a previous version I click on the item in the display grid and then click on Content>Create New Version in the Content Manager Menu.

This generates a new item which is open for edit. When I am done making changes to that new version item I then right click on the content item which is marked in the display grid as "Open for Edit" and then select "Submit Edits". Once that is done you will see the original old item being shown as obsolete.

When you download my track be sure your route is not open in surveyor. After the downloading process is complete load your route in Surveyor and you should now see that the old track has been replaced by the new version update. Save that route and the process is complete. This is how it is supposed to happen , assuming everything is working correctly.

I no longer use the "Obsolete-Table" container in my code. The reason for this is at the following link:

http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/"Obsolete-table"_container

BTW if for some reason things don't work as they should then you can always use the "Bulk Asset Update/Replacement" function in the Surveyor menu.

Bob

Bob, I want to make sure I understand what is happening. Is the <kuid2:439337:102588:1> SAP Protrack U.S. 132LB Standard Gauge Track Mesh Library a replacement for <kuid:439337:102588> SAP Protrack U.S. Standard Gauge Mesh Library meaning that your 95-100lb track will be gone?

If I clone all the original parts and the mesh library and point the parts to the original cloned mesh library can I preserve the 95-100lb track and have the 132lb track too?

As you are all aware I recently released on the DLS a 2D ballast ground texture to complement my SAP Protrack. This was <kuid2:439337:102804:1> SAP Ballast 1 Seasonal.

I realize that TRS19 users would like to have a 3D PBR version of that ballast texture that they can use, so I have created <kuid:439337:102922> PBR Ballast 1 and uploaded to the DLS today.

It should be available for download in about 24 hours or so.

Bob

Bob, I want to make sure I understand what is happening. Is the <kuid2:439337:102588:1> SAP Protrack U.S. 132LB Standard Gauge Track Mesh Library a replacement for <kuid:439337:102588> SAP Protrack U.S. Standard Gauge Mesh Library meaning that your 95-100lb track will be gone?

If I clone all the original parts and the mesh library and point the parts to the original cloned mesh library can I preserve the 95-100lb track and have the 132lb track too?

Yes, this new rail will completely replace the older less satisfactory version. I am not sure why you would want to keep that version as this new track is head and shoulders better then the old one and looks entirely prototypical compared to the original ElStoko rail, which is not. It also corrects all the issues that were brought up, such as no end caps.

If you really feel that you must keep that track then clone the library and all the other related items (track and track parts) and then make your own version. Before uploading it to the DLS be sure to see the new license in the new version of the track, when you download it, for details.

Just keep in mind that I will not be providing support to any cloned items, nor will they be upgraded in Phase II, some months from now....

Bob

Thanks Bob, I have no intention of sharing what I may or may not create. :D

Thanks so much for putting in the time and effort to create this 132lb pro track. It is something that has been needed for some time now and it was good of you to put in the effort.

It is really quite gorgeous!

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

The new version of my build 4.2 U.S. Standard Gauge procedural prototypical 132LB rail is now available for download on the DLS as follows:

Shiny Rail Series

SAP Protrack U.S. 132LB SG, FB, TP with Spikes, Shiny
KUID2:439337:102580:1
kuid2_439337_102580_1.jpg

SAP Protrack U.S. 132LB SG, FB, TP with Spikes, Shiny, No Ballast
KUID2:439337:102786:1
kuid2_439337_102786_1.jpg

SAP Protrack U.S. 132LB SG, FB, Shiny, Track Only
KUID2:439337:102789:1
kuid2_439337_102789_1.jpg

Rusty Rail Series

SAP Protrack U.S. 132LB SG, FB, TP with Spikes, Rusty
KUID2:439337:102745:1
kuid2_439337_102745_1.jpg

SAP Protrack U.S. 132LB SG, FB, TP with Spikes, Rusty, No Ballast
KUID2:439337:102784:1
kuid2_439337_102784_1.jpg

SAP Protrack U.S. 132LB SG, FB, Rusty, Track Only
KUID2:439337:102787:1
kuid2_439337_102787_1.jpg

Matching Ballast Ground Textures:

PBR Ballast 1
KUID:439337:102922
kuid_439337_102922.jpg

SAP Ballast 1 Seasonal
KUID2:439337:102804:1
kuid2_439337_102804_1.jpg

Demonstration TRS19 route which shows my new rail in use

Progressive Rail Jesse James Line - TRS19
KUID2:439337:102147:2
kuid2_439337_102147_2.jpg

Enjoy!

Bob

I have decided to start Phase II, which is the TRS19 version of the track with 3D PBR textures, and am working on it now.

I can go one of two ways with Phase II. So here is my question to you all:

Should I:

Option1: Make this a new version of the existing track KUID but for build 4.6?

or

Option 2: Make this a separate version for build 4.6 under it's own KUID?

There's pro and cons to either approach. I am leaning towards option 1 at present, but might consider option 2 if the consensus of comments and reply to this thread thinks it's better to go that way.

As for the existing track:

Now available for download on the DLS:

SAP Protrack U.S. 132LB Standard Gauge Track Mesh Library
KUID2:439337:102588:2
kuid2_439337_102588_2.jpg

The release of the track mesh library addresses a number of cosmetic issues, especially with the track ties/sleepers.

Bob

I agree with Harold. Two separate versions because that will work for everyone, although it is a bit of extra work. The reason is that if we've already done some route building with your current track and textures, the update to PBR will break things.

First of all, based on the comments, Phase II will be a separate new KUID release of the track.

I found this resource, that I did not know existed, yesterday that I thought I would pass onto anyone else considering doing TRS19 track:

http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/HowTo/Build_Procedural_Track_for_T:ANE

Although on the face of it it would appear to a casual first look that it only applies to T:ANE, I found that the example resource files that were included were all in FBX format and I was able to import them without issue into Blender. What I saw there has made me go back to the drawing board on Phase II of my track project and start over from scratch. In all the years I have been in Trainz I have never undertaken to build track from scratch until recently. It has been challenging but it is the only way I can get the real U.S. standard gauge track with flat bottom rail that I need for all my U.S. routes that I am slowly converting to full TRS19 standards.

One of the issues, and major differences, between the old ProTrack and the new TRS19 track it turns out is the required use of Blade Slide Chairs which were not in the original ProTrack other then in a very notional form (ie; the "invisible.im" mesh file). I believe this might have had a bearing on the problem I was encountering yesterday as I did not have blade slide chairs and was attempting to use the old ProTrack invisible mesh in it's place.

Those files at that resource link above should make my job a lot easier then it has been to date, although I am starting the Phase II project all over again. Such is the learning curve for migrating things to a new major Trainz release and while trying to learn Blender at the same time.

Bob

Footnote: When importing those FBX files into Blender 2.79 you will need to do the following for each mesh you import:

1. Re-do the nodes in the node editor.
2. Re-do the UV map in the UV/Image editor.

The animation part comes across just fine in Blender, which is a real help!

Last edited:
Progress report:

I now have all the FBX files from the link example track project resource imported into Blender. I have changed the rail and chairs to the U.S ones I use and modified the end caps to remove the rail end cap portion as I don't use them or need them. The only thing remaining is to UV Unwrap and map each mesh to the textures once again. That part will be a bit tedious to say the least.

I really wish I had known about this example track project resource earlier. It would have saved me a lot of time and frustration trying to migrate ProTrack to TRS19 standards. I have been very pleasantly surprised at how good those example FBX's were and how complete and well organized the example procedural track project was. Basically you have everything you need to make TRS19 track. I will be also adding some additional support for rusty rails into the project, as I did for the build 3.7 ProTrack project I did. The textures in this example project are also very good and better laid out for PBR then the ProTrack ones were. My hats off to who ever made this example track project!

BTW once I have completed my track I intend to make all the Blender 2.79 project files available for anyone to use, assuming I can find somewhere to host the zip file. I don't have a website anymore and I don't want to have to respond to email requests. This unknown person helped me, so I in turn want to help others if I can.

Bob

Related content

With permission of MSGSapper I am creating a few "addons" or "extensions" to his set of tracks.

I have a bunch of things in mind and even though most of them are relatively simple asset, life is preventing me from creating them at the speed I had hoped. Earlier this week I decided to simply start uploading what I have instead of waiting till I have all the things I had in mind ready. So here are the first 4 assets that match MSGSappers mesh and texture (as he was so kind to share those with me already):

Addons-matching-MSGSapper%27s-Protrack-U.S.-SG.jpg

What you see in the above picture are...:

• kuid:645812:5162 - Protrack U.S. 132LB FB, Rusty, Single rail only
  • kuid:645812:5163 - Protrack U.S. 132LB FB, Shiny, Single rail only
  • kuid:645812:5164 - Protrack U.S. SG, tie (single)
  • kuid:645812:5169 - Protrack U.S. SG, checkrails
The first two have been available for a few days, the other two should be available within the next 36 hours.
All the rails are splines, the tie is a "building".

A few more things to come (eventually).

Enjoy!

Edit:
... and I just learned (after uploading obviously) that I should have called those checkrails "guard rails". O well, hope the thumb is clear enough. I will consider renaming the asset if I do an update (unless someone can tell me "checkrails" is also a correct name).

Last edited:
Back