Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My TRS19 U.S. Standard Gauge Procedural Track Project

Hybrid View

United States of America, Arkansas, Harrison

Cool My TRS19 U.S. Standard Gauge Procedural Track Project

Phase I of my TRS19 Standard Gauge Procedural Track project is now complete.

My new Build 4.2 U.S. Standard Gauge procedural rail is now available for download on the DLS as follows:

Items:

Shiny Rail Series

SAP Protrack U.S. SG, Flat Bottom, Base Plates with Spikes, Shiny
    KUID:439337:102580

SAP Protrack U.S. SG, Flat Bottom, Base Plates with Spikes, Shiny, No Ballast
    KUID:439337:102786

SAP Protrack U.S. SG, Flat Bottom, Shiny, Track Only
    KUID:439337:102789

Rusty Rail Series

SAP Protrack U.S. SG, Flat Bottom, Base Plates with Spikes, Rusty
    KUID:439337:102745

SAP Protrack U.S. SG, Flat Bottom, Base Plates with Spikes, Rusty, No Ballast
    KUID:439337:102784

SAP Protrack U.S. SG, Flat Bottom, Rusty, Track Only
    KUID:439337:102787

Since this is my first major track project, I hope you will take the time to provide me some constructive feedback on this new track and if possible some screenshots showing it in use on your routes.

Phase II is in progress but will take some weeks or even months to complete as a re-design of some of the meshes will be involved, due to LOD issue requirements, and will be done by someone who is collaborating with me on this project and far better and more experienced at mesh design then I am.

Phase II will be a new version of the phase I track and will be specifically for build 4.6 and have 3D PBR textures.

BTW I encourage variations of what I have done by others......

Enjoy!

Bob
    Last edited by MSGSapper; February 18th, 2019 at 12:35 PM.
    Master Sergeant/E8, U.S. Army, Retired (1972-1993)

United States of America, Delaware, Dover

My only critique is the railhead appears too wide.

The new track and the old Elstoko

Comparing the old JR track and the Elstoko track.

It is nice having track that isn't green.

Thanks for your efforts
    Harold

Quote Originally Posted by hminky View Post
    My only critique is the railhead appears too wide.

The new track and the old Elstoko

Comparing the old JR track and the Elstoko track.

It is nice having track that isn't green.

Thanks for your efforts
    Harold
    Harold:

I did not change ElStoko's rail mesh at all. The track mesh came from <kuid2:368725:49059:1> Protrack NSWGR dirty stone, mid-life timber, baseplated, fpl.

This could simply be the texture at work here in the UV map as I had to remap the UV to the texture after importing the .3DS file into Blender.

Thanks for the feedback!

Bob

Bob,

Looks good! Feels more familiar with base plates and spikes! Two things I noticed, which are only obvious if you're close up:

1) The outside top of the rail looks too shiny on the sides. I'd expect this on the inside of the rail tops, but not the outside. This might contribute to Harold's comment about the rail head looking too wide.
    2) This is probably mesh related: The ends of the rail have no caps. Again, only noticeable if you're close up at the end of a siding.

Here's a shot of one of my routes with Jarrah track replaced with yours:

United States of America, Fla., Spring Hill

How is the track on frame rates?

Quote Originally Posted by Jayco-man View Post
    How is the track on frame rates?
    Getting 50s on Bob's New England Coastal with mcquirel's SpeedTrees on High game settings.

Love the LOD, the track doesn't fade out a few feet in front of the loco.

Harold

Thumbs up

Good Morning Master Sergeant,

You are doing a bang up job on those Tracks, stay the course,

Lots of folks are going to appreciate having something that has been missing for a very long time...........And I am one of them, I have several Routes that need a change out.....

I remember when I started with Trainz IPad version, and I looked at the tracks and thought, wow, these switches and crossings do not look very prototypical, I wonder if there is something else too use.....That was over 4 yrs ago.....It looks like that time has finally coming to fruition.........

I am not happy with the appearance of the original Protrack rails and have decided to replace them with realistic prototypical 132LB U.S. rail which I have created for this project. While I am still tweaking the textures here are some comparison shots of my track and JR US track #1-132 (wide ballast).

SAP ProTrack 132LB Rail Screenshot 1

SAP ProTrack 132LB Rail Screenshot 2

When I am ready to release it you will see it as a new version of my SAP Protrack content items which should automatically upgrade any track you have already laid down in your routes after you download the items from the DLS.

I have also solved the end cap problems in a way that doesn't involve any separate end cap meshes. FYI the rail vertices has been reduced significantly despite all this.

Bob

In case the "rivet counters" among us want to know, here are the specs for the rail that I followed as closely as I could for the cross section when I created the mesh in Blender:

Bob

As I wrote in the initial thread about this:
    The tracks look good!
    I hope you don't mind, but... these new tracks look better than the first version .

Anyway,
    I played around a bit with the initial set.
    I like them (so I assume I like the update better ), but since you are updating anyway, I hope you can shovel some more snow on the snow track version. The sleepers could use some of that wide stuff as could the bottoms of the tracks. Alternatively, you could raise the whole ballast in the snow version to make the sleepers, plates and bottoms of the tracks disappear into the snow; probably closer to reality during snow and easier for you to model.

Looks great, can't wait for the release.

Thanks for you efforts
    Harold

I am trying to improve the appearance of the shiny rail in order to make it shine in a manner similar to <kuid2:506034:582678:5> JR US track #1-132 (wide ballast), but not having much luck. Here is a screenshot of my Blender settings for the material:

The Specular settings are set to:

R: 0.020
    G: 0.020
    B: 0.020

The mirror setting is unchecked.

The texture itself does not have a built in transparency layer, although there is a separate alpha.tga which is how ProTrack does things.

I tried setting the material type to rail.m.tbumpgloss but get a fair number of warnings about texture slots (tbump and treflect) not being filled in and the track shows green when I display it in Trainz surveyor.

Can anyone point me in the right direction on this?

BTW to see the texture just look in my <kuid:439337:102588> SAP Protrack U.S. Standard Gauge Mesh Library content item.

Bob

I have uploaded the revised track library (kuid2:439337:102588:1) to the DLS today. Everything should be available for download from the DLS in about 24-48 hours or so.

Changes from the previous version:

1. Track rail has changed to 132LB prototypical U.S. rail.
    2. Rail is solid now, and no endcaps were needed to do this.
    3. Rail triangles dropped significantly from previous version.
    4. The textures have been revised to look better.
    5. Remapped all UV's for better track appearance.
    6. Better snow textures have been provided for both the ballast and the ties.
    7. Corrected some minor normal issues with the ties.

Despite my best efforts, and much research, I could not solve the track shininess problem, and still keep the track backwardly compatible for T:ANE users. I think it still looks very good though.

SAP Protrack U.S. 132LB SG Track Screenshot 1 - With Snow

SAP Protrack U.S. 132LB SG Track Screenshot 2 - without snow

Please do not ask for any more features for this track.

I have done all I can with Phase I of this project and spent way too much time on it as it is. To do anymore would make it no longer backwardly compatible with T:ANE.

Any further improvements will have to come in Phase II of my track project which will be specifically for build 4.6. I have no idea at present as to when Phase II will be completed, although I think it will be some months at the earliest.

Bob

THANK YOU *****SO***** MUCH FOR THE NEW TRACK.
    Lack us US prototype track was driving me nuts.

H.Fithers

Quote Originally Posted by horacefithers View Post
    THANK YOU *****SO***** MUCH FOR THE NEW TRACK.
    Lack us US prototype track was driving me nuts.

H.Fithers
    You are more then welcome! I know what you mean as this was the driving force behind this project to provide a real U.S. track for Trainz.

BTW I am in the last stages of creating a brand new TRS19 U.S. 132LB Flat Bottom rail track with tie plates and spikes. This will have 3D PBR textures and the ballast bed will look a lot better then anything currently available in TRS19. The rail ties will also be more prototypical (ie; 7” x 9” x 8.5’ spaced 19.5" center to center). FYI the information for the ties came from the Railway Tie Association Website at:

https://www.rta.org/faqs

Creating track for TRS19 has proven extremely difficult. The main problem was with integrating the PBR textures. I was wondering why all the ballast beds that came with the TRS19 track in TRS19 had virtually no ballast beds at all. Now I know why. To maintain compatibility height wise with all other existing track you must be willing to make trade offs in order to maintain the correct height. The PBR textures complicates this meaning you must either have a very low bed or be willing to sacrifice prototypical height of other components such as either the ties or the rail. Balancing all of this in a way that kept everything looking good was a real challenge. BTW this new track is no longer based on ProTrack at all. I have had to redesign a lot of the meshes from the following location to make all this work correctly.

http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/i...rack_for_T:ANE

Here is a screenshot of my new TRS19 track:

Hopefully this new track with its variations will be available sometime late next week.

When this project is complete I intend to make all my Blender project files available to any content designer who wants them if I can find a website willing to host this zip file package download.

Bob
    Last edited by MSGSapper; March 22nd, 2019 at 08:56 AM.