Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: My TRS19 U.S. Standard Gauge Procedural Track Project

Quote Originally Posted by kuangdan11 View Post
    Would anyone be interested in creating the mesh for the Safelok III fastener clips and rail pad that can be used for a US concrete tie (sleeper) procedural track asset?

Link to Safelok III clip info: https://www.pandrol.com/us/product/safelok-iii/
    Link to image of rail pad for Safelok III clips: https://www.progressiverailroading.c...t.aspx?id=1612
    I have sent @samplaire the pm, he said he’ll check back on tracks after his week holiday return.

Regards,
    darrren

All in the respects of being together. #COVIDSafe.

[…]I have included all Blender source code in the library […]

Bob, when I opened up and unzipped the file it came up as gibberish text. I am so lost.

United States of America, Arkansas, Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by lspdyiu View Post

Bob, when I opened up and unzipped the file it came up as gibberish text. I am so lost.

Did you read the "instructions_read_first.txt" file first?

Bob
    Master Sergeant/E8, U.S. Army, Retired (1972-1993)

My conclusion is that the SAP track is 132 lb. rail. The other "132 lb." rail is actually the same as 136 lb. rail but called 132 lb. This can be seen in the image on the left side. The JR US track #1-132 is the same size as SG 136lb AREA Gray Ballast even though one is supposed to be 132 lb. and clearly it is not smaller.
    132 lbs of track seems too coarse and pricey to construct. Ties look almost they’re close-spaced and they’re broad. If I could I can adjust the mesh-length and spacing for the sleepers to suit the requirement I needed. Then give these wood sleepers a “whitish” finish to coat.
    Last edited by lspdyiu; July 25th, 2022 at 11:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JCitron View Post
    From Left to right:

JR US track #1-132 rusty, SG 136lb AREA Grey Ballast, SG 132lb AREA Tan-Dirty Rusty, SAP Protrack U.S. 132LB SG, FB
    Attachment 2356

My conclusion is that the SAP track is 132 lb. rail. The other "132 lb." rail is actually the same as 136 lb. rail but called 132 lb. This can be seen in the image on the left side. The JR US track #1-132 is the same size as SG 136lb AREA Gray Ballast even though one is supposed to be 132 lb. and clearly it is not smaller.
    MSGSapper,
    Was the reason you scaled the height of your 132 lb rail mesh to 5 inches instead of the prototypical 7.125 inches due to causing errors in Trainz if the height of the track asset from the ground to the top rail exceeds a certain height?

I am currently creating a 136 lb rail mesh scaled at the prototypical height of 7.31 inches.

Blender screenshots of my 136 lb rail mesh.

Screenshot 1

Screenshot 2

Rail profile used to create mesh: Transport Rail 136RE (TR68) - ArcelorMittal

MSGSapper,
    Was the reason you scaled the height of your 132 lb rail mesh to 5 inches instead of the prototypical 7.125 inches due to causing errors in Trainz if the height of the track asset from the ground to the top rail exceeds a certain height?

I am currently creating a 136 lb rail mesh scaled at the prototypical height of 7.31 inches.

Blender screenshots of my 136 lb rail mesh.

Rail profile used to create mesh: Transport Rail 136RE (TR68) - ArcelorMittal
    You are going to find that creating PBR procedural track is a very frustrating experience at times, even with all the source code I provided. There are real height tradeoffs between the following:

1. Track
    2. Ties
    3. Road bed
    4. Maintaining compatibility with other track.

It took a lot of trial and error on my part to get it right. I expect rivet counter types trying to create 100% prototypical track will be giving up in frustration at some point. I wish you luck and this is the extent of my help to you on this, as its been some time since I last did that project so I don't remember most of it.

Bob
    Last edited by MSGSapper; July 27th, 2022 at 07:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lspdyiu View Post
    I have sent @samplaire the pm, he said he’ll check back on tracks after his week holiday return.

Regards,
    darrren
    If Samplaire is interested in creating the Safelok III clips and rail pad, I would like it to be scaled accordingly to fit the 6 inch (152.4 mm) wide base of my prototypical 136 lb rail mesh. Samplaire can use my 136 lb rail mesh as reference to scale accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by MSGSapper View Post
    You are going to find that creating PBR procedural track is a very frustrating experience at times, even with all the source code I provided. There are real height tradeoffs between the following:

1. Track
    2. Ties
    3. Road bed
    4. Maintaining compatibility with other track.

It took a lot of trial and error on my part to get it right. I expect rivet counter types trying to create 100% prototypical track will be giving up in frustration at some point. I wish you luck and this is the extent of my help to you on this, as its been some time since I last did that project so I don't remember most of it.

Bob
    MSGSapper,
    I am experimenting to see how your procedural track would look with prototypical 136 lb rail and unfortunately had encountered an unexpected issue with rendering. One side of the rail does show texture however the other side is transparent. Could it be due to UV mapping? Have you encountered this issue before when creating your procedural track? If you did, how did you solve this issue?

Screenshot of issue

I had solved the issue in the previous post by using recalculate normals feature in Blender which flips the faces to their proper orientation. Here is what TRS19 SAP US track looks like with my prototypical 136 lb rail (scaled to prototypical height and width)

TRS19 SAP US track with 136 lb rail

Comparison with TRS19 SAP US track with 136 lb rail with JR US track #1- 132 lb (wide ballast)

Attempting to connect TRS19 SAP US track with 136 lb rail with JR US track #1- 132 lb (wide ballast). Compatibility issue noticed where heads of connecting rails are not touching each other. This issue could be solved by lowering the position of the rail, ties (sleepers), tie plates, and ballast in Blender.

United States of America, California, Burbank
    Blog Entries

I have a couple suggestions.

1. Get your own thread.
    2. Stick a railcar on those tracks, you may find the wheels floating above or sunk inside the railhead of one or the other tracks.
    Last edited by frogpipe; August 3rd, 2022 at 09:10 PM.

I had solved the issue in the previous post by using recalculate normals feature in Blender which flips the faces to their proper orientation. Here is what TRS19 SAP US track looks like with my prototypical 136 lb rail (scaled to prototypical height and width)

TRS19 SAP US track with 136 lb rail

Comparison with TRS19 SAP US track with 136 lb rail with JR US track #1- 132 lb (wide ballast)

Attempting to connect TRS19 SAP US track with 136 lb rail with JR US track #1- 132 lb (wide ballast). Compatibility issue noticed where heads of connecting rails are not touching each other. This issue could be solved by lowering the position of the rail, ties (sleepers), tie plates, and ballast in Blender.
    Could you please create a forum conversation thread of your own for your rail project instead of using mine. Thanks.

Bob

MSGSapper,
    I am going to release the modified version of your track asset where your 132 lb rails are replaced with prototypical 136 lb rails on Trainz DLS. Before releasing this asset on DLS, are there any copyrighted parameters such as parameters set for the LOD that need to be modified?

kuangdan11

Blog Entries

MSGSapper,
    I am going to release the modified version of your track asset where your 132 lb rails are replaced with prototypical 136 lb rails on Trainz DLS. Before releasing this asset on DLS, are there any copyrighted parameters such as parameters set for the LOD that need to be modified?

kuangdan11
    the way you went about this shows you really don't seem to understand that you are probably offending the original creator, you've repeatedly criticized what he created in the first place and then ignored the fact that he repeatedly has expressed the desire not to bother with any discussion on this topic. This is NOT the best way to go about getting people to cooperate with you. I'm all for being prototypical and accurace but in this case, you just seem completely over the top as well as utterly insensitive to others feelings. .
    WARNING! The Surgeon General has determined that the use of the simulator Trainz is highly addictive,

MSGSapper,

kuangdan11
    Here is what they license section of the config.txt file for <kuid2:439337:103187:1> TRS19 SAP Track U.S. 132LB SG Mesh Library-Revised says:

license: "You may re-skin as desired and no permission from me is needed. My only restrictions are that any content item you produce with this must be uploaded to the Auran DLS only and must be freeware. Other than that have fun with this item!"

This is what the instructions_read_first.txt found in the Blender folder says:

"I am providing these files with the understanding that I will provide NO technical support of any kind for them. You are strictly on your own with them."

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by MSGSapper View Post
    Could you please create a forum conversation thread of your own for your rail project instead of using mine. Thanks.

Bob
    I have created a thread for the discussion of my track asset.

Link to thread: Protrack North America 136RE (auran.com)