KUID versions and revisions

Christopher824

CDETrainz.com
Hello, was just trying t get a grip on the KUID numbers for a database I am trying to build and provide validation to the numbers. There is a great Wiki Here that goes on to say the first numerical sequence is the asset owner, and it is generally 5 to 6 numbers, but sometimes 4 or less (so the Wiki says). So I know from experience that there are KUID's for built-ins that are 2 numbers for the first number. I am not concerned with built-ins, only user created assets.

Would I be safe to say that from assets from TANE and beyond, that were created by users (not N3V), that they will always be 5 to 6 numbers?

Example database limits
<kuid:nnnnn(n):nnnnn(n)>
<kuid2:nnnnn(n):nnnnn(n):1-127>

And is 127 the real amount of revisions an asset can have? If so that may answer a question someone else had in a different post recently.

Would I be safe to say that from assets from TANE and beyond, that were created by users (not N3V), that they will always be 5 to 6 numbers?
No reason to assume that. Just list all assets in CM then sort by KUID to see where they start.

And is 127 the real amount of revisions an asset can have?
127 is the highest available revision number. An asset can have many more revisions if the asset number is changed.

No reason to assume that. Just list all assets in CM then sort by KUID to see where they start..

Okay, did that, and found assets that are single digit 'Available for download', also found negative numbers. One thing I believe that I see is there is no 0 (zero).

So the resolution is, an Integer positive or negative is acceptable.

127 is the highest available revision number. An asset can have many more revisions if the asset number is changed.

So at 127, you have to start over with the middle number.

Thank you SailorDan for the quick response...

So for this number it's...

Code:
        If String.IsNullOrWhiteSpace(TextKUIDUser.Text) = True Then
            LabelError1.Text = "Please Supply Your Trainz KUID UserID Number"
            Exit Sub
        End If
        If IsNumeric(TextKUIDUser.Text) = False Then
            LabelError1.Text = "Number for KUID UserID Must Be Numeric Only"
            Exit Sub
        End If
        If CLng(TextKUIDUser.Text) = 0 Then
            LabelError1.Text = "0 (zero), is not a valid KUID UserID"
            Exit Sub
        End If

There is not any more validation that can be done.

...I know from experience that there are KUID's for built-ins that are 2 numbers for the first number. I am not concerned with built-ins, only user created assets.

Many user-created assets are also built-in assets (i.e. not every built-in has been created by N3V). And while some N3V assets have negative kuid numbers, there are some that don't, e.g. assets with kuid:523 which I think is Rob Shaw.

I've seen KUIDs that only have 1 number in the first section (both positive and negative). -2 for example is often seen for autosaves (<kuid:-2:1 and <kuid:-2:2>) or by users who have not registered their version to their MyTrainz account. Other negative KUIDS (-1/-3) are usually built-ins/payware from older versions or if it's -25 it's a newer version built-in/payware.

Shane

Back