Rollng Stock or No Rolling Stock

stouthm

Get over it
Sorry if this has been discussed before but maybe this will refresh or help newer members of the forum. When downloading a route do you prefer it includes rolling stock or none? I have uploaded some routes and have received a lot of questions regarding the rolling stock that was included. I'm getting close to uploading another route that I have made suitable for TANE (Sherwood Mountain RR) and just wanted to hear what other members thought about the rolling stock issue. Thanks in advance for your time and input.

Rolling stock belongs in a session.
That way one can create multiple sessions with different rolling stock on the same route.

If you would include the rolling stock in the route, it is in the way when creating a session.

I would suggest you upload the route always without rolling stock but consider uploading a session with rolling stock as example session.

If it's all available on the DLS or active sites, I am OK doing extra downloads, but if it is stock that is going to come up as "Unknown asset" and cause a big search effort to find, I can do without.

oknotsen's point is well taken. For anyone who enjoys creating sessions a route that already has rolling stock on it is a real pain. The only option is to delete all the included rolling stock and save it and create a new route.

The session layer is where rolling stock belongs and if you create a route and include rolling stock as part of your testing process it is relatively easy to move them to a session layer before creating the final cdp.

Including rolling stock can also be problematic if the rolling stock is not on the DLS.

Yes, I found out the problems with the last route I uploaded with rolling stock. Correct me if I'm wrong but to remove the rolling stock from the route all I have to do is click on the lead loco and select session layer and that should have the route with no rolling stock.

Yes, I found out the problems with the last route I uploaded with rolling stock. Correct me if I'm wrong but to remove the rolling stock from the route all I have to do is click on the lead loco and select session layer and that should have the route with no rolling stock.

No that won't work. You need to go to the consists tool and use that to remove the consists.

John, I would like to keep the rolling stock that I've used in testing the route. How can I keep the rolling stock and upload the route without the rolling stock? I'm guessing that I will have to rename the route that I'm uploading. Right or wrong?

John, I would like to keep the rolling stock that I've used in testing the route. How can I keep the rolling stock and upload the route without the rolling stock? I'm guessing that I will have to rename the route that I'm uploading. Right or wrong?

You could clone the route and upload the clone without the consists.

Duh, so simple and yet I didn't even think along those lines. Thanks, that is what I will do when it's ready.

You can also use the consist tab in surveyor to save the consist under another name. Just right click on the consist and rename it.
Then delete it from the route and save the route under the same name you used for it.
You can then use the saved consist any time anywhere you please.
Cheers,
Mike

Back