An EMD E10?

Blutorse4792

Now T:ANE I can get into
I have seen it alleged that when Amtrak was looking to replace their second-hand locomotive fleet in the early 1970s they requested that GM-EMD design and produce a new bulldog-nosed E-Unit to haul their trains, as they were proven machines and quite popular with their crews. The reason that this never came to be is supposedly that the necessary tooling had been destroyed/lost after the last E9 rolled off the line in 1963, so as a result Amtrak got the ill-fated EMD SDP40F instead.

Is there any truth to this story, or is it simply (for lack of a better term) foamer fan-fiction? I cannot find any evidence outside of railfan messageboards.

I have seen it alleged that when Amtrak was looking to replace their second-hand locomotive fleet in the early 1970s they requested that GM-EMD design and produce a new bulldog-nosed E-Unit to haul their trains, as they were proven machines and quite popular with their crews. The reason that this never came to be is supposedly that the necessary tooling had been destroyed/lost after the last E9 rolled off the line in 1963, so as a result Amtrak got the ill-fated EMD SDP40F instead.

Is there any truth to this story, or is it simply (for lack of a better term) foamer fan-fiction? I cannot find any evidence outside of railfan messageboards.

I can't find anything much on that outside of those same places.

The MBTA did, however, get some Morrison & Knudsen rebuilt F10s and called them FP10s. Their paint scheme made them look like Easter eggs.

Off topic:

Check out the latest Trolley Dodger blog. There's a bunch of nice North Shore pics in there.
https://thetrolleydodger.com/2019/02/

Back