Used Simulator Question

Old_Timer

Have a question. As I remember from years ago it was impossible to register and use any USED Trainz Simulators because the prior owner had registered it and that information cannot be used with a new owner. Does this still apply or is there a way around it? Thanks for any help.

Reselling used software simply is not possible.
Not legally at least.

When you buy a game, you effectively don’t buy the software but the right to use it. That right can only be registered once.

You sell them your game, and can give them you Username, your Password, and your EMail address, then they can assume your identity ... then they can access your Social Security number, your Bank Account, and Credit cards ... Then they will go shopping at Macy's for diamonds ... and you will get stiffed wit' da' bill :cool:

...and probably get a Bitcoin ransom on your PC too!!

Moral of story, hand in back pocket, wad of notes or debit card out and buy a new copy.

Not legally at least.

When you buy a game, you effectively don’t buy the software but the right to use it. That right can only be registered once.

This is simply NOT TRUE, for software "in-general".

As long as the "seller" stops using the software, and uninstalls it completely, the software, and it's licensing CAN be transfered to another user, who then must abide by the software EULA, and re-register the software in their own name.

As to Trainz software, when talking about a physical copy of the software on a CD/DVD disc, it IS 100% legal to sell/transfer said disc to another person, provided the original owner/user follows the above "rules". That said, it is also 100% at N3V's discretion, as to whether or not they allow the old software to be re-registered under a new name. IIRC, N3V basically require the new user to buy a new serial number and "license".
--Effectively, though "legal", there is no good reason to buy Trainz software second hand, as you will need to still pay N3V in-order to use it with any "Auran DLS access" or "online features".
-The only time it is "effective" to buy used software is when said software is obsolete and no longer available from the original "creator" .. Which I believe, ALL versions of Trainz are still available from N3V, via some special edition box set sorta deal.

Not legally at least.

I totally believe the above statement is correct for current versions of software. When you buy this game (simulation) for the current versions, you effectively don’t buy the software, but you are licensing the right to use it. That right can only be registered once and not transferred per the EULA.

This is the correct answer for the new versions of Trainz. Please read your EULA. You are only 'Licensed' to use the software. They (dealers of the license) are not selling it to you. Please immerse yourself in the many 'DRM' posts on this forum about the 'debate' which does not exist. Image you think you own the software, and the internet goes down, or you are in a region with no internet. You will not be able to use the software because it phones home t see if you are the registered owner (licensee) of the software.

So lets say I sell you a copy. You install it. The hidden key inside the software is registered to the original owner. The registration server asks you for your username and password to reopen the software. You are not the original owner. Did the original owner give you their username. Are you now 'oknotsen' and have his password ??? no efing way...

Again ... Great answer!

Not legally at least.

This sort of thread really makes me chuckle, though.

We have people who have probably paid £800 - £1000 for a PC capable of running Trainz.
£50 a month for Internet access to post on a forum.
Then try to buy a used game for £5...

This sort of thread really makes me chuckle, though.

We have people who have probably paid £800 - £1000 for a PC capable of running Trainz.
£50 a month for Internet access to post on a forum.
Then try to buy a used game for £5...

Yes, I had had this same thought. TANE is still supported, and will be for sometime yet, and you can be an 'original owner' for 19.99 US$ (current NV3 online price). Translated to AU$ that is less than a couple of cinema tickets (TS12, also currently supported, can be had new from the NV3 shop for about price of one ticket). Forget used, and lash out for a shiny new copy!

Last edited:
If I recall, the OP had difficulty registering TS12, and was kinda' fed up with Trainz, and wished to sell his TS12 game ... understandable ... I believe he is up in years, and does not have an expensive PC, and may be on a limited income (OMG I just described myself) :eek:

Check here, and scroll down to see if your TS12 is already registered: https://www.auran.com/planetauran/SN_Enter_Serialnumber.php

Skype UN: cascaderailroad

Last edited:
Back