Anyone want anything Irish???

FiachraIR

Irish Railway Historian
You name it, routes, trains, rolling stock, buildings whatever.

At the moment I'm just making random stuff for my route but if anyone wants to throw a few ideas into the pot on what to make that is despiratly needed on the DLS to set the Irish scene on Trainz, then just give a few suggestions, for example: The Enterprise Set, CIE J15, Dublin-Rosslare Route, a Model of the Four Courts and I'll see what I can do.

Well... I don't think we have an 071 Class yet, or Park Royal coaches.

As regards routes, where to start. Something like the mothballed Rosslare to Waterford would be a reasonable distance or if feeling more expansive, Waterford to Limerick Jn. Then I was also partial to the Kerry line, down from Mallow to Tralee with that backing up move at Killarney in both directions.

Be good to have some more Irish stuff, my suggestion would be to narrow down what you want to make and then give a list of stuff that users can expect. The folks on the British Trainz forum would be interested to hear about this.

Well... I don't think we have an 071 Class yet, or Park Royal coaches.

Vern there's a Class 071 on the DLS which was produced by DomSarto and uploaded by PFX
Kuid:298788:100405

As for suggestions how about a Class 201 ?

I was actually given permission to upload the range of 071s but I can only find the file for the one that is currently uploaded. I did have the full range of liveries.

Although I never actually run trains that much it would be interesting to see a CIE MK1 steam heat generator coach.

Thanks for the tip re the 071. I thought I'd downloaded most of the Irish stuff when I was going to start on Mullingar to Athlone (I have a thing about mothballed routes) but must have overlooked it.

Another grand route project would be some or all of the erstwhile Western Rail Corridor, from Collooney through Claremorris then on towards Limerick and even Tralee. Although part of this reopened in recent years for passenger traffic, I believe it hasn't been altogether successful with a sparse DMU service not able to compete with the adjacent roads.

Being totally naive about Irish railroading, yet having been to Ireland, I would love to have an Irish route to travel. Most of my familial roots are from Northern Ireland so that would be even more of an interest, although I'm not averse to a route from Dublin to Galway for instance.

Although part of this reopened in recent years for passenger traffic, I believe it hasn't been altogether successful with a sparse DMU service not able to compete with the adjacent roads.
Actually its been quite sucessfull at peak times with students and commuters heading into Galway.

Back to the question at hand, I can make a start on a CIE MK1 steam heat generator and Park Royal Coaches, the 201 Class I've already made a start on and is very nearly done and should be first released in the new Enterprise livery with other liveries following.

Regards Routes, I like the idea of doing all of the old Waterford, Limerick and Western Railway network and I like the idea of the Rosslare to Killarney Route(the route of The Boat Train). Regards the Dublin to Galway Route, do you want the old route via Mullingar or the present route via Portarlington?

What I'm thinking about doing for the routes is intially upload a route with landscape(transDEM), track, signals and station buildings and then gradually update the route with scenery such as textures, roads, over/under bridges, buildings and flora as route building takes a considerable time, would this be a good idea?

My current list of things to make is for my Dublin and South Eastern Railway route, so I'm making alot of DSER stock, GSWR stock for Rosslare, Waterford, Palace East and Dublin, a little bit of MGWR and GNR(I) for where the DSER meet at Dublin. I'm also thinking of stock that would later run on this line such as the Drumm Trains, AECs, The Pushpulls, DART etc

When I travelled to Galway in around 1985 I think the service via Mullingar was down to around one train a week in each direction so my trip was via Portarlington in both directions. I would say whichever offers the most operational flexibility or interest.

There are also a fair number of closed lines - I've had one or two attempts at doing the Clifden branch but bringing into modern day, or at least 1980's. Sadly neither got much beyond the Transdem stage and laying a bit of track. There's also the very scenic line from Farranfore down to Valencia Harbour - another one I tried to get going but hit a creative brick wall. I even bought the two Oakwood Press books about the line, which by all accounts are now out of print so could become quite collectible in time.

I'm pleased to hear the WRC isn't doing as badly as the derisory comments on boards.ie would have people believe.

I think I'll to the Dublin-Galway via Mulingar as its the MGWR Mainline.

Do you still have these Clifden and Valentia lines?

So you think its okay to upload a bare bones route onto the DLS and then gradually update it with textures and flora etc?

This afternoon I will write something about the track gauges in Trainz that is not exactly about Ireland, although it can be interesting.

I think I'll to the Dublin-Galway via Mulingar as its the MGWR Mainline.

Do you still have these Clifden and Valentia lines?

So you think its okay to upload a bare bones route onto the DLS and then gradually update it with textures and flora etc?

Sadly no long since consigned to the deleted bin!

With regard to the other point, personally I wouldn't share a route until it was pretty much complete but that's just me! Other item to consider is that if using Transdem, strictly speaking you can't really upload without removing the textures first, per Roland's licence and that anyone who doesn't have them installed as a Transdem customer will get missing KUID error messages.

I'd also like an 8100 class. Domsarto made one but the files got deleted after a computer crash.

IT would also be nice to have the Dublin-Belfast Line in Trainz, as well as the line to Rosslare

Only time I travelled from Rosslare to Dublin was with a pair of 121's hauling Park Royal wooden bodied steam heat stock. Now that was a train ride!

In terms of representing the route in a sim, there are several sections of great interest - Rosslare Harbour itself, the 10 MPH (or was it 5 MPH) crawl along the quayside at Wexford, the Vale of Avoca and of course the spectacular coastal section. Maybe when I've finished my current machinations in MSTS I might be tempted back in to have a go, if only because the prospect of recreating one of the great railway journeys is so enticing!

Please make the modern passenger equipment such as the 201 class diesel, the Mk4 push-pull coaches, and the 22000 class DMU. The UK stuff is years ahead of the Irish content when it comes to the number of modern era stuff made.

I had a quick look on my PC and came across an install of TS12 I'd forgotten about. I discovered 3 further versions of the 071 class on it so I've uploaded the 'broken wheel' and 'points' logo versions in black and tan, along with the 111 class blue NIR loco. I should point out that there is no cab view for these locos as there were never fully completed, however, DomSarto gave me permission to upload them.

Last edited:
Back