Using Maya to make content

trainzvideo08

So here's the thing, I am new to attempting to make content for trainz. I know some commonly used programs are 3ds Max and Blender, but I am an expert with Maya. Is it possible to get meshes in game using maya?

I use Maya, You still need either 3ds (or presumably blender as well). After you make your model in Maya, export it as an fbx, import into 3ds. Rename the texture files, add your attachment points. Then you can export from there to trainz. The only thing I've not experimented with is animations.

Peter

No, you do not need 3ds max or Blender to export from Maya. You'll be forced to use FBX, and either T:ANE or TRS19. Since I see you have TRS19 in your banner just stick with that. At the bottom of this page describes the material exporting process: http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/M.pbrmetal

For attachments, since Maya does not allow periods in a name you need to use " FBXASC046 " in place of a period. For example, instead of a.limfront, it would be aFBXASC046limfront.

Last edited:
Was a thread on this in the TrainzDev forum where the use of underscores in place of FBXASC046 was discussed, not sure if it actually happened though.

Yes, it did so thanks Chris.

I haven't been in Maya LT for a while and while I was checking the underscores I discovered that some of the nodes in Hypershade had changed since I uploaded the shader example. Hypershade is somewhat similar to Blender's node editor. I'll change the relevant Trainz WiKi material page but in the interim here is a more up to date view:

Maya%20LT_zps03euj9bq.jpg

A pic of the sample cube in the main Maya LT editor:

maya_cube_zpssulthw4v.jpg

And a couple of these cubes in TRS19:

cubes_zps93uovfyd.jpg

Back