TransDEM lines bleeding through ground textures.

KotangaGirl

Pre-Grouping Railways Nut
Angelah's K&ESR routes from TS2004 days have always been a favourite, but when I tried them in TS2019 the TransDEM mapping lines are bleeding through the ground textures. It's happening on both routes, but it's most obvious with 'A Kentish Winter'.

Any suggestions for a fix?

J0fK7LB.jpg

TIxr1OH.jpg

Last edited:
There is a procedure to remove Transdem textures once you have finished with them, both manually by using the replace function in Surveyor and by editing out the references from the KUID list in the config file. looks like the route builder hasn't followed this protocol.

The easiest way post release is for the user to just go through the texture list in Surveyor and work through any Transdem textures using the replace function.

Not sure if Angelah is still active these days, but might be worth a PM to advise of the issue.

No Angelah isn't active these days unfortunately due to her rapidly failing eyesight sad to say.

The problem didn't show up in older versions of the simulator only in TS2019, - though I will say that I haven't tried this route in T:ANE. As an experiment I did manage to solve the problem in 'A Kentish Winter' by replacing all the TransDEM textures with the snow texture using the replace function. Tedious because there are an awful lot of TransDEM textures, but it worked and the route looks fine now.
The Summer version is going to be harder to do because the landscape isn't white all over like the Winter one, but I guess if I plug away at it steadily I'll get there.

It happens in a lot of old routes in TRS19, usually near a baseboard seam and has nothing to do with transdem. It will reveal any previous texture.
Graeme

It happens in a lot of old routes in TRS19, usually near a baseboard seam and has nothing to do with transdem. It will reveal any previous texture.
Graeme

In this case it was the TransDem map bleeding through Graeme because all the textures I had to change were TransDEM ones; -Hog00, Hog02, Hog03 & etc right up to Hog60 something.

In this case it was the TransDem map bleeding through Graeme because all the textures I had to change were TransDEM ones; -Hog00, Hog02, Hog03 & etc right up to Hog60 something.

Afraid Hog textures are not TransDem but from Microdem / Hog created routes.

hog textures = Microdem textures

TransDEMxx xx = Transdem textures

Good point, Malc.

Transdem KUID's are prefixed with kuid2:126773 and run from 21000 to 21019 for the standard set.

Well I learn something everyday. So they were Microdem textures which I have to admit I'd never heard of. They were still making a mess though and after an hour's work they are all now killed off so the two K&ESR routes are looking a lot more like they should.

Last edited:
Yeah good ole MicroDem. There are some greate base routes created in that method, but there is a lack of precision which maes the overly and underlying DEM quite an interesting combination. There's nothing like seeing a river indication running through a hilside, or tracks running up and over a hill whilst the adjacent trackben is void of any markings. With experience you learn to make those adjustment mentally and fix things as you go a long.

The bleed through does occur with TransDem, Microdem textures and even the grid, and that has occurred in TS12 as well. As a route builder you need to ensure that the base textures are covered which means going back over the route once complete and searching carefully of places where the both the grid and the TransDem and maybe the Microdem textures appear to bleed through. The fact that these are more obvious now is probably due to the lighting. TRS19 has better lighting contrast, shadows, and other lighting effects which don't hide the faults as well.

The straight stripes along the baseboard edges is a "feature" I was told when I bug reported that in T:ANE. It was done to resolve the missing textures which occur at the edges and this is the effect, which I still think is a bug and beg to differ with the dev guys on this.

We used MicroDEM exclusively for the Darjeeling Himalayan Railway route. I'd be interested to know if it made the trip to TS2019 wihout any major hiccups. Anyone out there have it operational in TS2019? I do agree that replacing the bleed-through of HOG textures would be a major problem on our route as they were used extensively.

Bill

Oh, ick. That's terrible. We don't have any plans to update the DHR any more. We carried it from TRS2004 through every version up to T:ANE. That's a long life for it.

Apologies for sidestep in the thread.

Bill

Back