Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Bear Creek & South Jackson - progress reports - Building a Mountain Railroad (1080p)

You are a careful observer of reality, which you recreate very well.

Very interesting video, but I prefer screenshots.
    Sebino Lake TRS19route builder
    DONNER PASS TRS19 wip
    West from Denver TRS19 wip

Quote Originally Posted by jango View Post
    You are a careful observer of reality, which you recreate very well.

Very interesting video, but I prefer screenshots.
    Thanks Jango.

Do you like the screenshots because I master them in 4K then down-sample to 1080p, but for video my poor GPU can only manage a decent frame rate at 1080p so no down sampling (then add in image degradation from YouTube - especially if one's connection bandwidth doesn't allow 1080p and it falls back to 720p or lower? the video looks much nicer when viewed from a local file, but then uploading a 2GB file would be a bit much?

Cheers,
    H. Fithers

United States of America, Fla., Spring Hill

Excellent work for sure.

Amazing work. The amount you've accomplished in this short amount of time is mind blowing. Looking forward to your progress.

~Tristan

Quote Originally Posted by vtrail View Post
    Amazing work. The amount you've accomplished in this short amount of time is mind blowing. Looking forward to your progress.
    Why thank you. Being retired with an understanding wife helps. Of course this seems to have slowed progress on my HO layout somewhat (lol...)

More screenshots and videos coming soon.

HF

Default Facelift for the BC&SJ route between Junction City and Bear Creek

Facelifts are mostly about replacing the spline doug fir forests with better looking trees although other changes included adjusting the height of a bridge that was too low above the track, fixing ballast pimples, and tweaking undergrowth.

Oh yeah, the locals were complaining about not getting a chance to participate in photo shoots so a GN passenger train was diverted onto the BC&SJ so they could ride along and observe the process.

1)
    BEFORE

AFTER

2)
    BEFORE

AFTER

3)
    BEFORE

AFTER

4)
    BEFORE

AFTER

What a difference those trees made!

The new trees come from the <st> asset family:
    st_rmm_elka50_2444_35m
    st_rmm_elka46_1748_20m
    etc.

Cheers,
    H. Fithers

Default BC&SJ - Tunnel 2 to Salt Creek

Here are some screenshots of the newest scenery area on the BC&SJ route. Hope you like 'em.

1) An eastward train has just passed through Tunnel 2 on its way to Morrison.

2) Highway 58 hops across a reservoir on an arch bridge.

3) Steam in the morning light

4) Sometimes, with the tracks and road parallel and so near to each other, a race develops although not today

5) There's lots of trees and therefor lots of logging in this part of Oregon

6) Ditto

7) Racing past a small clearing

8) A larger clearing yields a longer view of our train

9) Salt Creek trestle on the BC&SJ

10) Steel trestles play a large part in this portion of the railroad

That's it for now. The next station after Salt Creek (I just realized I didn't post a shot of the Salt Creek siding) will be Oakhill. However, Oakhill isn't anywhere near ready for screenshots yet.

I'm working on getting a new video fly-over of the entire route, finished areas and unfinished, uploaded to YouTube. Stay tuned.

Cheers,
    H. Fithers

Default The Bear Creek & South Jackson Fly Over

I wanted to show the entire route (to help anyone who cares) get a feeling for it.

This video starts in the flatlands around Salem and progresses up and over the summit up high in the mountains.

Perhaps it would help to have the foot print of the BC&SJ route?

Hope you enjoy the video! If you do, please remember to click the "thumbs up" button.

Cheers,

H.Fithers

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by horacefithers View Post
    I wanted to show the entire route (to help anyone who cares) get a feeling for it.

This video starts in the flatlands around Salem and progresses up and over the summit up high in the mountains.

Perhaps it would help to have the foot print of the BC&SJ route?

Hope you enjoy the video! If you do, please remember to click the "thumbs up" button.

Cheers,

H.Fithers
    Epic route work. Very nice overfly. You've earned a sub on YT.
    Last edited by pagroove; April 2nd, 2019 at 02:18 PM.

Horacefithers, Wow! I just watched both videos and I am impressed! You and Philskene are going to sell me on 2019 yet. I started work on a similar route set in the central mountains of Idaho in T:ANE, but your water is better (the best I have seen, I think), your trees are better, everything is better. I am curious about the LOD on the evergreen trees. Up close they look very real, but at a distance the green kind of fades to a gray-green. I wonder if whoever made those trees could go back and darken the trees in the distance to the same green color as up close. Other than that it is a gorgeous route!

Thanks for the nice comments guys!

Forester, I agree with you about the trees. I'm not in front of my gaming 'puter at the moment so I can't tell you exactly what the kuid or the name is but they are part of the tree library from "st_". Unfortunately for English only speakers the names are in Russian (I think?) so finding what you want is a bit hit or miss. The color problem seems to be with the distant LODs and it's worse when they are backlit by the sun.

pagroove - thanks for the YT subscribe. There should be more on the channel in the next day or two.

Cheers,
    H.Fithers

United States of America, Georgia, Rocky Face
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by horacefithers View Post
    Forester, I agree with you about the trees. I'm not in front of my gaming 'puter at the moment so I can't tell you exactly what the kuid or the name is but they are part of the tree library from "st_". Unfortunately for English only speakers the names are in Russian (I think?) so finding what you want is a bit hit or miss.
    This will help you. It's a translation of the Russian name of the trees to English and Deutsch by Dinorius_Redundicus:
    https://forums.auran.com/trainz/show...ght=speedtrees
    IT'S FOOTBALL TIME, IN TENNESSEE!

Default Railfaning the BC&SJ from Tunnel 2 to Salt Creek

New scenery is (mostly) in place continuing up hill from tunnel 2 (where the previous railfan video left off) to Salt Creek. You'll travel through forests, meadows, and an active logging operation.

Treat yourself to a sneak peak of the new stuff!

As always, if you enjoy the video please click "thumbs up" on YouTube.

Cheers,

Horace Fithers

Default Back to the Future?

The BC&SJ is nominally a '50s route. However, some of the boyz got in their time machine, traveled forward to the late '70s and borrowed some locos and rolling stock.

Here's the evidence (such as it is)...

1) Descending the horseshoe (or Horaceshoe curve?) with a looonnnggg train with mid-train helpers.

2) The crew decided to play it straight

3) Bloody noses above Salt Creek

4) S-curves or SP-curves?

5) It's a race?

Hope you liked 'em.

Cheers,
    Horace Fithers

United States of America, Texas, Dickinson

Love the shots. Things are really looking good.