Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Bear Creek & South Jackson - progress reports - Building a Mountain Railroad (1080p)

Default From the BC&SJ archives

No, they're not screen shots. They're from the various BC&SJ HO scale layout over the years.

From the first BC&SJ. This was a photo contest entry way back in (1999)

From the second BC&SJ (2001)

From a diorama I built to experiment with outdoor photography using full scale backdrops (2004)

The third BC&SJ (2011)

So it should be obvious the virtual BC&SJ is just a continuation of layout/route evolution.

Cheers,
    H.Fithers

A very, very interesting route.
    I like the research of detail, excellent work.
    Congratulations !
    TRAINZITALIA INTERNATIONAL Staff Member
    Sebino Lake TRS19 route builder
    West from Denver TRS19 wip

Gosh Jango. All I can say is Thanks!

H.Fithers

Default Bear Creek - detailed creek shots

The previous post reached its limit of photo attachments and I still had a couple of creek shots left...

And now for some shots of Bear Creek - the town and yard...

Cheers,
    H.Fithers

Default Bear Creek - the town and yard (part 1)

The tracks have progressed westward down out of the mountains and our train is getting set to enter Bear Creek (the yard)

1) Crossing over highway 58

2) Our train (right) passed the east end yard switcher as it bangs cars into the yard's class tracks.

3) Our train is on the main track through the yard heading westward. The cars in the foreground are in the empty car yard. Visible just above them is the yard office. A string of reefers is getting iced (on the left) in preparation for delivery to some place that will load them. Today the class tracks aren't very full - a sign of an efficient yard. Railroads don't make money by having cars sitting in a yard. The town of Bear Creek is behind the yard.

4) The GN passenger extra ("borrowing" BC&SJ tracks) is sitting on track 1 in the Bear Creek station as our train passes. Given that this is supposedly a location in the central Oregon Willamette valley, I'd prefer to use two-story buildings in town. In the '50s this area was more podunk than a city-scape. However, I couldn't find many so I'm using what I could find. Another thing I'd like to find are ice dock extensions so more cars could be loaded at a time.

5) Our train has made it most of the way through the yard to the west end ladder tracks (the turnouts in the lower right).

6) This view shows that there are a number of industries on the south side of the tracks at Bear Creek. The engine service facility is on the far right. I experimented dropping the height of the sidewalk to near pavement level to make "driveways". They're not perfect, but I think they're better than abruptly stopping the sidewalk for a driveway.

7) Our train is leaving the yard on the main. The track in the center of this shot is the west end switch lead. Bear Creek (the creek) is visible on the left.

8) The view of main street from the west end of town.

9) There is a "fancy pants" estates at the west end of town where the rich folks live behind walls to keep out the riff-raff. I'm not sure what happened with the road. It looks like Trainz got confused about where the road ends the adjacent terrain starts while rendering this scene. Guess I'll need to replace the road with a different spline.

Stay tuned for more in part 2!

Cheers,
    H.Fithers

Thumbs up

I really enjoy your pictures the Southern Pacific and Rio Grande livery is nice to see.... They were among my favorite locomotives and companies when I was playing with the layouts back in the day that was a long time AGO....��

Update:I just looked at your last bit of pictures above this message and I think the height of your buildings are good.... ��

I've downloaded a lot of routes were folks have put a huge skyscrapers and all kinds of odds and ends for cityscape excetera and it didn't look very good or appealing because it didn't match up with the rest of what they were trying to ��

I think you've got it just right there.. And your in good shape......
    Last edited by blueodessey; February 28th, 2019 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Height of Building comments added

Default Bear Creek - the town and yard (part 2)

continuing from where part 1 left off...

10) The west end of Bear Creek from above. I suspect the residents of the fancy pants estates were less than thrilled when someone erected tenement buildings near their haven of tranquility...

11) Looking east down Railroad Ave. in scenic downtown Bear Creek.

12) Railroad Ave. looking east again. The parking lot at the station has lots of vehicles parked there. The passenger business appears to be booming.

13) Looking west at the depot where the GN passenger train is on track 1. That's Railroad Ave. to the right. Those JR buildings may be taller than I'd like, but they certainly have a decent level of detail.

14) Looking east from the west end of town.

15) The view looking east down Main St.

16) Looking south. That's Main St. running left-right in the foreground. Railroad Ave. is just before the yard. Strangely, there are lots of cars, but not many people. Perhaps an alien abduction?

17) Looking south east from the west. Bear Creek has a park across Main St. from the church where people go to avoid losing track of their eternity and to train for the here after.

18) Old man Fithers can keep a good eye on Bear Creek from his digs on the knoll just north of town. His patio area was a real pain to build.

19) And one more shot of town with Fithers Hill in the background and distant mountain in the far background. The tracks have found their way through the mountains on the way to Oakhill and the summit but there's not a lot of scenery up that far, just tracks and rough textured mountains.

Whew, that was a lot of screen shots. If you're reading this then I guess you liked 'em.

See y'all later!

Cheers,
    H.Fithers

Default At last! Here's the first of the long promised Bear Creek & South Jackson videos

Following train 200 eastward from Bear Creek yard up into the mountains past Hampton to tunnel 2.

Some screenshots of the territory covered by the above video.

1) Early on in the Bear Creek valley.

2) Two of the eight (I think, maybe more...) bridges crossed in the video. These are about 1/2 mile before reaching the first dam and reservoir.

3) Nice reflections just railroad west of Hampton

4) The tank cars on the right get loaded with water and coupled behind the engine(s). They spray the water on the roadbed to quench sparks and embers that could set the mountain on fire. In another week or two the hills will be drier and the water cars will become mandatory. OK, those aren't exact models of SP water cars, but they were the best I could do at the moment (if someone wants to take a crack at water cars I have some photos of the real thing. Uh oh, looks like somebody is interested in the trash cans at the Hampton general store.

5) Trains circumnavigate the reservoir (shown in photo 3). The terrain here is relatively abrupt (steep). There are lots of cuts and fills (and a bridge or two...)

6) The tracks below the train are on a deep fill across what once was a ravine.

7) Crossing a ravine on a steel deck trestle, No. 200 is almost past the second dam on this route.

8) Running along a fill above the second reservoir. Our train is about 1/2 mile from tunnel 2. A slide fence (left of the train) protects the rails from falling mineral formations or trees.

9) No. 200 has just emerged from tunnel 2 on the way to Morrison, Salt Creek, and Oakhill.

I hope you liked the video and the accompanying screen shots. I had fun making them (except for #^@&^#! Vegas Pro which keep locking up while rendering the video - eventually I had to render it in two pieces then glue them back together - a real pita - must be time to learn Premiere and hope it's not just as bad!)

More videos (and screen shots) coming soon!

Cheers,
    H. Fithers

United States of America, Texas, Dickinson

H. Fithers,
    Wonderful screen shots! I really enjoy checking them out. The route looks fantastic.

- That is one freaking gigantic bear! He must be the one the route is named after. You'd need a 50 caliber machine gun just to scare him off, haha.
    - The lowered sidewalks for drive through areas look perfect. That's a great idea.

Thanks for posting.

Heinrich505

United States of America, Texas, Dickinson

Oh, and I just watched the video. I loved it. Very nicely done.

Have to mention that I almost fell out of my chair reading the credits..."Buildings by Fallen Downs"...Bwahahahahah. Great stuff.

Heinrich505

Quote Originally Posted by Heinrich505 View Post
    Oh, and I just watched the video. I loved it. Very nicely done.

Have to mention that I almost fell out of my chair reading the credits..."Buildings by Fallen Downs"...Bwahahahahah. Great stuff.

Heinrich505
    I was wondering if anyone would notice the credits. Guess I listened to Car Talk and Prairie Home Companion too much so names like those seem appropriate...

H. Fithers

That is one sweet looking route Horacefithers!
    “We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.” ― R.L.S.

Cool

Thank you for the Cool Video,,,,,,,It was easy to follow, and nice overlook of your Route........

Two story buildings - https://forums.auran.com/trainz/show...46#post1737546 but not on the DLS

Water tankers - https://forums.auran.com/trainz/show...31#post1737231 on the DLS

Dear Louisiana,
    Thank you for sending us all your intelligent women.
    With Love,
    California.

Thanks Norm. I'll check those links out!

H. Fithers