Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Thread: Bear Creek & South Jackson - progress reports - Building a Mountain Railroad (1080p)

United States of America, Georgia, Rocky Face
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by horacefithers View Post
    Yes, it's the same layout that was in MRP 2004. What in tarnation are you doing with a 16 year old MRP?

Horace
    Still have it from when I bought it back then. I've been a subscriber to Model Railroader for over a two decades. I'm one of those who don't throw things away. Also, MRP 2004 also has the Dayton & Troy, which approachmedium used basemapz to recreate in Trainz.
    Owner of Freeman Locomotive Works.

I'd forgotten about the Dayton and Troy being in that issue. I haven't looked at it in years. A lot of things have stayed the same in the track plan, but somethings changed. In the article I spoke somewhat glibly about using a staging manager to drive trains up and down the helix, exchanging crews at South Jackson and Browning (on the far side of the backdrop). In practice that crew position never materialized, crews drive their own trains through the helix and in and out of main staging under the peninsula. Having the staging leads punch through the backdrop means either crews get to practice the limbo or they take a hike around Cape Horn (walk the full length of the 150' aisle). I wish I knew then what I know now... Virtual railroads never have a problem like that though. Ops are continuing on the HO scale BC&SJ.

Horace

United States of America, Maryland, Baltimore

Love your videos. Amazing to me to see how you take what you learned in the model rr world and apply it to the virtual. Your credit have me laughing ever time, nice to see Larry, Moe and Curly have a job. Thanks for sharing the videos and pictures of your progress.

Rob

Default Oh AI! How do I love thee? Let me count the ways...

I did something really dumb on the BC&SJ route.

I programmed portals at the east and west ends of the railroad to emit trains that run the length of the route.

Things were going fine with around 6 trains running, when all of a sudden there's a 3 way meet at Bear Creek yard.

Now this yard has a lot of tracks and a lot of ways for trains to pass each other.

The first thing that happened was the GN Empire Builder eastward which needed to make a station stop to the left of the main promptly jumped into the siding on the right of the main. I guess the siding was probably about 10 ft shorter than the main....

Then a westward train decides to dive into the yard and the engineer gets stuck. I got him unstuck by hand throwing a few turnouts. Bad idea.

In the meanwhile another eastward train arrives. Guess what track the AI picks?

The freakin' yard is EMPTY. And the two trains end up on the same track....

I guess I'll need to signal the whole stinking yard.

or just run AI trains in one direction at a time.

Pretty amazing stuff.

Try using pguys Enhanced Interlocking Towers and mission code manager
    Pennsylvania Railroad affectionate PRRT&HS

Well, it is "Artificial" Intelligence, after all. Computers aren't smart, they just think they are, and sometimes they have no common sense...

That sounds good, but how does one accomplish such a feat?

Horace

You can also use trackmarks for your AI trains as a simple solution. Then you give them the exact way and which track they should take in the yard. Don´t let the Trainz AI do what she want, you have to tell her exactly what she needs to do. Then you can have fun

TRS19 | Build: 105175 | KUID: 203554 | Homepage

Quote Originally Posted by Forester1 View Post
    Well, it is "Artificial" Intelligence, after all. Computers aren't smart, they just think they are, and sometimes they have no common sense...
    More like Artificial Idiots, so if you treat them as such, you shouldn't have a problem

Quote Originally Posted by escd84 View Post
    You can also use trackmarks for your AI trains as a simple solution. Then you give them the exact way and which track they should take in the yard. Don´t let the Trainz AI do what she want, you have to tell her exactly what she needs to do. Then you can have fun
    The problem with that is that it's hard to predict when and where opposing AI trains will be meeting. It would be easy to assign the same track resource to multiple trains. A real yardmaster is constantly shuffling track usage to get best utilization of the limited yard resources.

Horace

I have uploaded the current version of the BC&SJ to the DLS. I should be available (N3V validation permitting) tomorrow or the day after.

This versions is still a Work In Progress

In particular don't expect

Finished Sessions

Configured Industries

All towns fully detailed

A parade of well behaved AI trains as track background

Do expect:

105 miles of mainline with scenery and detail

A few trains in yard areas for your to jump in and free drive

Fully signaled track.

Route: <kuid:884720:100340> BCSJ-506
    Session: <kuid:884720:100341> BCSJ-506 - Default

More release info at BC&SJ (Bear Creek & South Jackson) under Forums / Workshops - Your Creations / Freeware Announcements

https://forums.auran.com/trainz/show...=1#post1804042

If you download it, how about posting some screen shots of the portions of the route you find especially interesting?

Many, many thanks to

JCitron
    heinrich505
    BlueOdyssey
    constart251
    jango

For their advice, and QA efforts. Without them the route would be significantly more patchy.

Best regards,

Horace Fithers

And we're on our way!
    The United State's Health Care System ranks 37th in the world just behind Costa Rica.

Default BC & SJ Route Is Available for download

The United State's Health Care System ranks 37th in the world just behind Costa Rica.

I love all your screenshots

yours truly Matthew