Bear Creek & South Jackson - progress reports - Building a Mountain Railroad (1080p)

Switching the Itza mine near Sherman Butte

Running a turn to the mine and back from Sherman Butte alongside the newly detailed creek from the previous video.

If you like this kind of video I could make another of the Garibaldi Turn - same kind of train, but the climate zone is a lot greener. The video would likely be longer as the Garibaldi turn does a LOT more.

Cheers,
H.Fithers

what is % of Grade up to the mine on assent

Running a turn to the mine and back from Sherman Butte alongside the newly detailed creek from the previous video.

If you like this kind of video I could make another of the Garibaldi Turn - same kind of train, but the climate zone is a lot greener. The video would likely be longer as the Garibaldi turn does a LOT more.

Cheers,
H.Fithers

:cool: Great looking Video,

I was wondering, what is % of Grade up to the mine on assent from Storage Tracks on Mainline where you start your Video?

Awaiting your next video.........Thanks for Sharing......:wave:

Update: Thank you Horace for Grade % was just curious what you were running.......Agreed 2% is easy Grade to Climb if you haven't been on Sir Dan Gavels Route............

Last edited:
Horace,
That was a cool video. Thanks for sharing. It really showed off just how nice your stream came out. Having seen the creation of it in the previous video, it was a treat to see it in all its finished glory.

I'm glad to see that S.T. Behr was involved in fire safety for the video. One can't be too careful...only You can prevent forest fires...even in the desert! :D

Your route is looking so nice.

Heinrich505

Blue,
I'm not in front of my game 'outer atm, but iirc the grade to the mine maxes out at perhaps 2%. Not steep at all for a mining branch.

Heinrich,
You're correct in as much as there aren't very many trees out around Sherman Butte and the Itza Mine, but S.T. heard that sometimes pixels may be flammable so he's concerned about that! After, if the pixels burned where would everyone go to for their train rides? If you'd like to read more about the area fire Marshall check out the March 7, 2002 article clipped from the South Jackson Gazette titled "Fire Marshal Run Out of Town".

HF

I did the final terraforming in upper Roberts Creek twice. Tomorrow I'll start on the third time. The second time was better than the first time. Maybe the third will be even better.

In the meantime I've been working on the HO scale BC&SJ...

lower_bear_creek_2019_01.jpg

Working on finishing the terra-forming between Bear Creek yard and Oakhill. On the HO scale version this is a distance of slightly less than a scale mile. On the virtual BC&SJ it's probably closer to 25 or 30 miles. Still need to add a creek bed and water and finish up the hills and get some more track ballasting done. Ballasting is a pain, but then I never need to concern myself with whether static grass crosses a boundary between PBR and non-PBR textures...

This scene is a reason to appreciate Trainz. This area swallowed up about 2 weeks of on-and-off tree production. In Trainz ya just plops 'em down where's ya wants 'em without need to make each one. Of course there are polygon counts to consider which are never a problem in HO scale....

More pix here...

H.Fithers

The South Jackson Gazette is a newspaper started by, published for, and read by all the wee people who live on the HO scale BC&SJ.

It's motto is "All the Malarkey That's Fit to Print - and then some!"

Stories such as a cold spell ensues each time Hillmovers Construction Co. adds scenery. The scenery comes pressurized in steel cans. When the cans are opened the scenery comes out and is sprayed across the terrain. This causes a major pressure drop causing all the scenery to come out freezing cold and white with frost. After some time has passed, the scenery warms up, the frost melts, and the scenery takes on its final colors. In the meanwhile, temperatures on the layout plummet causing the local residents to complain about the bitter cold and how Xavier Muney, owner of the local mercantile, is price gouging on red flannel underwear.

'Tis a silly place!

H.F.

Last edited:
OMG ! :hehe:
That is just too funny ! :cool:
I really like your videos !

Last edited:
Horace,
Your HO layout is gorgeous. I checked out the other pics. It really looks wonderful. Not a speed tree in sight, haha.

Poor S.T. Behr. All he had to do was stand close to the cake with a fire extinguisher. :hehe:

The South Jackson Gazette is quite witty and well worth the time spent reading it. The video on the flat world was great.

Heinrich505

Preview of Salem (western-most end of the BC&SJ)

For the past few weeks I've been working on Salem which is the town furthest west on the BC&SJ. Its a (by game standards) large city and I've been challenged to find much time to work on the route. Basically it's taking a long time to finish (and it ain't done yet)...

Here are four preview shots of the town...

1) Looking west at the Salem yard and part of the downtown area...

191015_bcsjv_salem_01.jpg

2) Looking north at the portion of Salem on the west side of the river. From front to back: a highschool, lots of houses, the Salem Airport (I hear Leif Skinner got a job with an airline - gasp!)

191015_bcsjv_salem_02.jpg

3) Looking north down the tracks heading to the yard. The BC&SJ management decided to install double track from Salem to East Breton yard. The track on the left is the westbound main. The center track is the eastbound main. The track on the right the east end yard lead.

191015_bcsjv_salem_03.jpg

4) Looking south at Salem. Hangars at the airport are visible far right.

191015_bcsjv_salem_04.jpg

More coming soon... (depending on how one defines soon...)

HF

Indeed, life often pulls us away from what we would like to be doing. I have not been able to build or run anything for two weeks now. Definitely going thru withdrawal pains. Beautiful work HF. You definitely have a very good eye and a talent for creating realistic believable scenes. Love what you are doing. Thanks for sharing all the cool shots.

Paul :)

Horace,
Really nice shots. Looks like the route is coming together despite all the setbacks. I applaud your commitment. I've blasted through Salem many times on I-5, hell-bent-for-leather on the way to Medford and then rushing north back to Tacoma. Your scenery looks very convincing.

Salem in real life still has a pretty big yard downtown. Don't forget to include the Union Pacific Railroad Yard Office at 1440 Cross St. SE[FONT=Roboto, Arial, sans-serif][COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588235294118)].[/COLOR][/FONT] It's only a block and a half from the north end of the yard. ;) [Kidding of course]

Seriously, your pictures are really nice. I'm enjoying seeing this creation of yours come to life.

Heinrich505

Indeed, life often pulls us away from what we would like to be doing. I have not been able to build or run anything for two weeks now. Definitely going thru withdrawal pains. Beautiful work HF. You definitely have a very good eye and a talent for creating realistic believable scenes. Love what you are doing. Thanks for sharing all the cool shots.

Paul :)

Towns are really labor intensive , Horace is doing great on this one , i was wondering where he was , glad hes still working away, people just disappear off the net, anything can happen and sometimes we never know what became of them.
Yes, life can seriously get in the way of railroading,we have had a family crisis involving my wife in the middle of a house move and i don't know when I'll be able to do much route building in the near future. Curious how all three of us have found little time to do trainz simultaneously. I sincerely hope neither of you have had as stressful a time as I have in the last few weeks. Hopefully from now on things might start looking up.

Arghhh.... Was working on the BC&SJ this afternoon and realized I'd stuffed a lot of route-is stuff into the Session layer.

N3V - PLEASE PUT THE CURRENT LAYER AT THE TOP OF THE WINDOW so we have a fighting chance of noticing when we aren't writing to the layer we think we are...

Should Bulk Copy to another layer work on splines? In 100464 it sure doesn't...

HF

Horace and Dangavel,
I was wondering where both of you were. Glad to see that you both are still around. Dan, sorry to hear of your family crisis. I hope things get squared away soon.

Real life sure has a way of altering priorities. It's got twists and turns like an evil rollercoaster at times.

Heinrich505

Horace and Dangavel,
I was wondering where both of you were. Glad to see that you both are still around. Dan, sorry to hear of your family crisis. I hope things get squared away soon.

Real life sure has a way of altering priorities. It's got twists and turns like an evil rollercoaster at times.

Heinrich505
I think things may improve from now on , we found out it's not life threatening , a relief, but it might be weeks before my wife is back to her usual amazingly competent self, stress of moving , knocking down our old house and weeks of lack of sleep can be a nasty combo.

New Video - Over Flight of Salem, Armstrong, and the BC&SJ Coast Branch

The latest BC&SJ video is here. Fly along with Leif Skinner and check out
Salem - the largest urban area in the route to date (still in progress)
Armstrong - the aggie town between Salem and Breton
Ross, Davenport, Oyster Bay, and Garibaldi on the BC&SJ's Coast Branch

Leif is up to his old habits (only this time in a Lockheed Constellation) flying low so you'll get upfront and personal with the route.

Horace Fithers

Back