Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Bear Creek & South Jackson - progress reports - Building a Mountain Railroad (1080p)

United States of America, Colorado, Pagosa Springs

wow i am amazed at the quality, detail and imagination you are showing on this route. This is how good sim scenery is made....you are one of the best i have seen yet in any format. thanks so much for sharing your process. wow.

Chris
    Director and Lead Admin
    3D Worlds and Game Developers Group - Linkedin
    "We Build Worlds"

Thanks crisger, but I think I'm blushin'.....

HF

United States of America, Colorado, Pagosa Springs

you can call me Chris and ya you earned it... both large scale choices and the detail and how to use it..you got the touch.

keep going

Chris
    Director and Lead Admin
    3D Worlds and Game Developers Group - Linkedin
    "We Build Worlds"

Default New hi-res map of the BC&SJ...

I've uploaded a hi-res version of the BC&SJ route plan (10594x4930 pixels). People who care can download the full resolution route map.

This version is 1920 x 1080 but the lettering will be pretty fuzzy...

The route is coming together. More pix soon...

H.Fithers

This is awesome!!

Now if a Siskiyou Line route shows up, my Trainz heaven will be complete!
    Last edited by jbaxter1964; August 14th, 2019 at 12:39 PM.

Default The Roller Coaster ...

In the region between tunnel 7 and tunnel 8 (west of Deschutes Junction) the track passes through and area of relatively mild but closely spaced hills and ridges. Because the elevation changes are small in height and duration the engineering department didn't fully excavate the cuts and elevate the fills to make the line level. The crews call this track "the rollercoaster".

This is well east of the mountains and the resulting rain shadow has turned it into a high desert area. No lush forests of Douglas fir trees here!

The company photog grabbed a bunch of shots of this newly finished area.

(1) A long eastward freight led by an SP 4-10-2 and 4-8-2 approaches tunnel 8.

(2) Looking east toward tunnel 8.

(3) Lots of vertical track arc here.

(4) Crossing Lass canyon heading west.

(5) Lass Canyon is the deepest ground furrow in this area.

(6) Looking east back toward Lass Canyon (and tunnel 8 way in the distance)

(7) In '52 gravel was the norm for road surfacing in these sparsely populated areas.

(8) This area alternates between huge farm tracts and virgin scrub and rocks.

(9) The low hills (they're not THAT low, just far away) demarcate the roller coaster area

(10) Heading west with double headed 4-10-2 SP-2 locos up front smokin' it up. These engines have 3 cylinders (vs the standard 2) which gives them a distinctive sound.

Standby for part 2 of "the rollercoaster"

H.Fithers

Default The Roller Coaster (part 2)

continuing from where we left off...

(11) Long train, short hills...

(12) I thought a dry wash was appropriate for the area and whadya know? This one sort of popped into existence.

(13) Another view of the wash. I don't think it would be advisable to be down there if it starts to rain hard...

(14) Yes, the track is still acting like a roller coaster...

(15) Ditto

(16) Cresting one of many local (sub) hills in a cut.

(17) Grade crossing out here in this area of high visibility and low population and traffic make due with simple crossbucks.

(18) Standing back a bit further from the grade crossing

(19) Passing a farm.

(20) Heading west within 1/4 mile of tunnel 7.

Thanks for lookin'!

H.Fithers

Default In the vicinity of Sherman Butte...

Sherman Butte is a tiny town next to lower Bear Creek.
    This area is in the rain shadow of the mountains and thus is not particularly wet.

Here are some shots of the area, in town and environs.

(1) Running east toward tunnel 7.

(2) Same bridge but heading west.

(3) A teensy bit further west of that bridge

(4) Tracks and road crossing the same gully

(5) The second of the two multi-span Warren truss bridges in the area.

(6) Same bridge, different angle

(7) Coming off that bridge heading west toward tunnel 6.

(8) Emerging from tunnel 6

(9) Tunnel 6 in the distance

More on the way in part 2...

H.Fithers

Default Sherman Butte (part 2)

Continuing from my previous post...

(11) Almost to Sherman Butte following lower Roberts Creek.

(12) "That's quite a mound." "No, it's a butte." "And right pretty, too..." (adapted from The Firesign Theater's Temporarily Humboldt County Skit)

(13) I think that butte needs more work on the texturing .

(14) Coming 'round the bend.

(15) Yes, there is a depot at this station. And a water tank.

(16) With roads like these it's no wonder there's not much traffic out here at Sherman Butte. More trains than vehicles. The tiny town trails tantalizing between the tracks and creek.

(17) Leaving town westward heading upgrade to Roberts Creek (the next siding).

(18) View of the west end of town.

(19) Proximity to water in the creek spurs the vegetation's growth.

(20) One of the benefits of freelancing is the opportunity for creativity. I experimented with some radical erosion in the cliff face here. I'm undecided about whether to keep it or not.

There's still more terraforming to be done in this area. Hope you liked these shots anyway.

Horace Fithers

Blog Entries

Well done route , looking fantastic . Really looking to see more of your work . The roller coaster part was interesting and well done . looked to be a challenge to run . LOL I like a good climb .

Matt

work hard, Play harder

The rollercoaster area was quite difficult to create. If N3V provided a true smoothing tool in addition to the plateau tool it would have been a lot easiet.
    I laid the track first, then adjusted its elevations to make the mini hills and valleys after which I hit 'S' and smother the roadbed below the track into conformity. Then I used the plateau tool to run "ribs" out at right angles from the roadbed at the peaks and troughs and started filling in between them. The filling in took forever. I'd get some done then look at it and decide the hills/valleys were too high/low and adjust the track. Then repeat the terrain smoothing process. Again.
    Then I painted the ground and chased around it looking at the contours from low elevation. This showed places where it was too rough or too smooth. Given the length of this area that was a LOT of chasing round adjusting elevations.
    I think I put at least a week into the ground contours, painting (I ended up using a reddish PBL foliage texture with minus feature size...) and repainting, planting the occasional bush, tree, and lots of sagebrush.
    Then I realized the some of the track that was supposed to be straight had gotten worked out of line back when I was adding curves (thank you for that feature N3V, not...) so I laid a roller from one end to the other of the unstraight section a tweaked the track to follow the ruler. Then I needed to go back and move underbrush, cuts, phone poles, fences, and dry grass TurfFX. I kept all the textures in this area PBL to avoid TurfFX artifacts that arise when transitioning from PBL to non-PBL

I got the idea of rollercoaster from the Portland and Western track running from Beaverton to Hillsboro next to Hwy 8 (Tualatin Valley Hwy). There are a series of small hills there, probably a max delta height of 15'. The train crews call it the rollercoaster.

HF
    Last edited by horacefithers; August 18th, 2019 at 12:43 AM. Reason: Edited to fix grammar and clarify the process I used to build the area.

United States of America, Texas, Dickinson

Horace,
    I'm loving the tour. It looks wonderful, and very convincing for representing the area. The screen shots really show off your work. Very nice!

Heinrich505

Mountains are one of the hardest things to make convincing ,these are looking very nice, keep up the good work.
    WARNING! The Surgeon General has determined that the use of the simulator Trainz is highly addictive,

Thank y'all for your kind comments. Flattery will get you everywhere.

HF