Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Bear Creek & South Jackson - progress reports - Building a Mountain Railroad (1080p)

Are you windows 7 or 10 or a Mac guy?

HF

Windows 10 Pro
    Colin's Trains AKA render2017
    email: render2017 at yahoo.com.au
    Youtube Channel https://goo.gl/Mg3k2m

Thanks for the Boxcar PSD file . . I will try and make good use of it.
    Colin Rayner
    Colin's Trains AKA render2017
    email: render2017 at yahoo.com.au
    Youtube Channel https://goo.gl/Mg3k2m

Default Major Earthquake Strikes the BC&SJ Creating More Land!

From the South Jackson Gazette...
    May 15, 2018 - Reusters
    Citizens along the Bear Creek & South Jackson Railroad were woken this morning by a sizable earthquake. As one local commented, "It must of been at least 7.5 on the Rectum Scale - it shook hard enough to knock over my outhouse!"
    Fortunately said outbuilding appears to have been one of the few structural casualties of the event.

Railroad officials immediately set out to survey the effect of the shaker on railroad track and equipment. Horace Fithers, railroad bigwig commented, "We shure are pleased that all the railroad stuff seemed to have made it through OK. We also found that a whole bunch of new acres had suddenly appeared."

The railroad promptly began to extend their tracks through the new territory. Salem, the west end of the railroad, has been moved quite a bit further west. The previous Salem, and East Salem areas are now Breton and East Breton, and a new town, Armstrong has been added between Salem and Breton. Additionally, the river running through Breton now has a channel all the way to the pacific ocean allowing those freighters that were attempting to move grain from the East Breton elevators to actually move it someplace useful.

The railroad also called a news conference to announce the creation of a Coast Branch running from Breton to Ross, Davenport, and Garibaldi, terminating at Camp Holden. Citizens seemed pleased by the railroads expansion especially since there was an open bar. A good time was had by all.

Company photographers took an number of photos of the new areas. Here's the first installment of them.

(1) The new BC&SJ track map - the photo locations are within the yellow rectangle.

(2) Waterfront area between St. Paul (right bank) and East Breton (left bank)

(3) The evening daylight leaving East Breton eastward

(4) The daylight from the roof of a nearby warehouse...

(5) The west end of East Breton yard. Lots of industries are in this area.

(6) A view of the St. Paul refinery from East Breton yard

(7) The east end of East Breton yard

(8) Looking west at St. Paul from the far east end of East Breton

(9) Looking at the massive export elevator in East Breton from St. Paul

(10) St. Paul is heavy with industry. This is part of the main road through town.

Hope you enjoyed the screen shots. More coming soon...

Horace Fithers

Default Earthquake - part 2

Continuing from where we left off...

(11) Looking east down the St. Paul main drag...

(12) The St. Paul tank car rack and storage tracks. Looking east in this shot.

(13) St. Paul waterfront rip-rap on the left bank. Ginormous mill in East Breton (right of the lift bridge)

(14) In the '50s and '60s war surplus Liberty ships were plentiful and cheap. This one is loading (or unloading - it's hard to tell from here) at East Breton port warehouse.

(15) An abandoned warehouse with overgrown track on the left with that ginormous mill across the river in East Breton. A small freighter waits for the bridge to lift so it can head out to sea.

(16) Aerial view looking east showing an overall view of East Breton (left) and St. Paul (right)

(17) Switching in the evening at the west end of St. Paul

(18) Another view...

(19) The lift bridge at the west end of East Breton / St. Paul

(20) Just another shot of the area...

Oops... time for dinner. More screenshots later tonight.

Cheers,

Horace Fithers
    Last edited by horacefithers; May 22nd, 2019 at 11:48 PM. Reason: Fixed caption...

United States of America, Texas, Dickinson

Horace Fithers,
    Those are really nice shots. The backstory is pretty cool.
    I especially like the shots with the lift bridge. It really screams Pacific Northwest. Very nicely done!!

Heinrich505

Quote Originally Posted by horacefithers View Post
    From the South Jackson Gazette...
    May 15, 2018 - Reuters

"It must have been at least 7.5 on the Rectum Scale..."
    That's on par with a quote from a former Australian Prime Minister who said, rather ironically, "I am not the suppository of all wisdom..".

As a sometime creator of scenery assets, I'm unhealthily interested in seeing how route builders use things I've made. The way you've placed the rocks along the river bank, with heavy use of rotation, tilting and height adjustment to randomize the visible parts, strikes me as one of the best examples I've seen for those granite boulders.

Last edited by Dinorius_Redundicus; May 22nd, 2019 at 10:17 PM.
    T:ANE SP3 build 94829 and TRS2019 build 100240
    Win 10, i7 5820K, 3.3 GHz, 32GB ram, GTX 980Ti, 2x512GB SSD

Default Earthquake - part 3

Continuing from where we left off...

(21) The other side of the ginormous milling company...

(22) More of the Daylight...

(23) Daylight passing a freight on the double-track main before reaching Breton

(24) The river with freighter and Daylight in the background (right). One of these days I'll need to think up a name for this river...

(25) Racing the traffic on the highway next to a really big cherry orchard. When the harvest is finished the workers throw a PITy party...

(26) Three-way meet at Armstrong. This area is still far from finished...

(27) The entrance to the no-name river shot from about a mile off shore. I think there should be some channel marker buoys and nuns - Red Right Returning color code. Any kuid suggestions?

(28) The river entrance from closer in. The pier o the left is Ross which is just a Fisherman's Wharf and a depot at this point. Coast Branch is up for work once the main tracks to Salem get detailed. Is it possible to add an underwater highway and use ships instead vehicles on it?

(29) Another day, another Daylight passing that big cherry orchard. This time heading east. Armstrong is in the distance behind several hedgerows.

(30) The Lyle branch serves St. Paul. It connects to the main track with a wye at Lyle Jct. and crosses the no-name river on a series of Warren truss bridges. A highway bridge parallels the railroad bridge.

More still to come...

H. Fithers

Default Earthquake - part 4

Continuing from part 3...

(41) Another shot of the Lyle branch bridge crossing the no-name river

(42) Coming down off the bridge into St. Paul The row of buildings on the right in the background got installed about an hour ago...

(43) Another view...

(44) Trundling westward through St. Paul

(45) Passing the St. Paul LCL facility

(46) The west end of St. Paul isn't as dense...

(47) The west end of St. Paul

(48) Leaving St. Paul behind and heading for Lyle

(49) Leaving East Breton yard eastward heading for Lyle Junction.

(50) Taking the west leg of the Lyle Junction wye heading toward St. Paul

Phew! That was LOT of screen shots.

I hope you liked 'em!

H. Fithers

Quote Originally Posted by Dinorius_Redundicus View Post
    That's on par with a quote from a former Australian Prime Minister who said, rather ironically, "I am not the suppository of all wisdom..".

As a sometime creator of scenery assets, I'm unhealthily interested in seeing how route builders use things I've made. The way you've placed the rocks along the river bank, with heavy use of rotation, tilting and height adjustment to randomize the visible parts, strikes me as one of the best examples I've seen for those granite boulders.
    Hey Dinorius, glad the boulders were there for me to abuse in my scenery! The vast library of assets is a blessing (and a curse - there's so much stuff it's about impossible to know what's there!)

Best,
    H. Fithers

Default Armstrong comes to life!

Over the past two days I spent some time adding some detail to the newly added portions of the mainline (between East Breton and the newly moved Salem staging yard at the far west end of the route).
    I also spent a bunch of time adding a lot of detail to the new town of Armstrong.

Then per railroad rule book I took a bunch of screen shots and here they are, hopefully for your enjoyment...

(1) The MAP showing the area covered by these screen shots

(2) The grade crossing just west of Armstrong. Hope that guy doesn't stall creating an engineer's nightmare...

(3) Apparently the green Chevy didn't stall...

(4) Entering Armstrong, holding the main.

(5) A passing drone pilot obliged me with some aerial views. The distant hills are hills, not a backdrop. I added some extra squares back there and raised up some hills on the furthest edge painting everything a grassy green color to hide detail and give further illusion of hills in the distance. Armstrong may be a pretty small town, but apparently high school football is important there.

(6) Looking west past the depot (thanks BBarnes005 for turning me on to this cool SP depot! https://trainz-forge.com/p/scenery)

(7) Looking east toward the depot.

(8) Someone working at the local elevator grabbed this shot and emailed it to me...

(9) Splittin' the Armstrong depot and the bulk oil dealer...

(10) I'd guess that from all those weeds, the water tank probably has a leak...

More coming in the next post ...

H. Fithers

Default Armstrong comes to life! - part 2

(11) One car in the depot parking lot for each locomotive in the passing train...

(12) The five visible tracks here are (nearest to furthest) Depot siding, Main 1, Main 2, Passing track, and Elevator spur track.

(13) That drone pilot caught a good view of the bulk oil facility as the train passed...

(14) Maybe there were two drone pilots to get the previous and this shot at the same time?

(15) Passing some chemical monstrosity at the east end of town

(16) Nearing the east end switches at Armstrong

(17) Seems like no place is complete without a local dump site...

(18) There's a double crossover at the east end of Armstrong. The mainline is double tracked from here to East Breton.

(19) And off toward Breton and points east she goes...

Hope y'all enjoyed these shots...

C'ya later.

H. Fithers

Very enjoyable indeed. Your commentary, not so much.
    Dear Missouri,
    Thank you for sending us all your intelligent women.
    With Love,
    California.

Default Garibaldi on the BC&SJ Coast Branch

I was doing clean up of the Armstrong area and starting to detail the main track between Armstrong and the (new) Salem yard (west end staging area) but got sidetracked by the Coast Branch.

The BC&SJ coast branch connects to the main between Armstrong and Breton. It follows a creek from the inland valley through the hills over to where the no-name river delta hits the Pacific Ocean then meanders northward along the coast.

The coast branches primary raison d'etre is the lumber mill near the end of the line and passenger service to the small towns (and resorts) along the way. Stations from the wye into the main track north to end of the line are:

• Ross (fishing boats)
    • Davenport (resort)
    • Oyster Bay (fishing and shellfish)
    • Garibaldi (fishing and forest products, turning wye)
    • Camp Holden (resort)

There are (er, will be) lots of gorgeous beaches along the way. Branch length is a few miles.

Here are some screen shots of the Garibaldi area so far. Garibaldi is an economically struggling fishing village. It was started by Russian fur traders way back in the days before Seward purchased Alaska for the US and many of the long time residents can trace their roots back to the Russian fur traders. The lumber mill provides a good chunk of the per capita income in the area with tourism, fishing, and the railroad making up the rest. The residents live in fear of the loggers running out of logs and all the road improvements making it too easy for tourists to drive their cars to the area instead of taking the train. So far, however, neither has created fulfilled their fears. The great beaches and abundance of fresh seafood definitely help the tourist trade.

(1) Looking across Garibaldi Bay at the town. An excursion train, heading south (back to "civilization"), is passing a small motel. Off to the right (not shown here) is the Garibaldi wye and the track to the lumber mill. Off scene to the extreme left on the far side of the bay is (er, will be) Camp Holden - tracks continue left (railroad east) out of town providing tourist service there.

(2) The lumber mill in the area has been responsible for a swath of destruction. Following the tracks to the left, paralleling Garibaldi Creek would take one back to the wye and town of Garibaldi.

(3) The east end of Garibaldi. The north leg of the wye (leading to the lumber mills) is visible as is the tip of Garibaldi Bay. The main track curves sharply to the right on the way to Oyster Bay, Davenport, Ross, and civilization. Minimum radius on the branch is a very tight 100 meters.

(4) An excursion train parked at the Garibaldi depot.

(5) Looking down the main drag in town. The advent of better roads in the area spells potential disaster for the excursion trains.

(6) Fisherman's wharf with a smattering of fishing boats and small craft. The motel from photo (1) is visible in the distance across the water.

(7) The area is blessed with some great beaches.

(8) Another view of the train station and excursion train. Out to sea, between the trees is a passing freighter, probably on its way to the port at East Breton.

(9) The south leg of the wye (leading off to the right and the lumber mill). The main track curves sharply to the left, crosses over Garibaldi Creek on a wood trestle, and enters Garibaldi proper.

(10) Garibaldi is a typical small ocean-front town. Gorgeous scenery and fresh ocean air help make up for the non-booming local economy.

I'll be continuing to work on the coast branch (along with lots of other things), so stay tuned...

H. Fithers
    Last edited by horacefithers; June 1st, 2019 at 12:19 AM. Reason: Updated captions

United States of America, Texas, Dickinson

H. Fithers,
    Beautiful work, and so nicely detailed. I wasn't able to follow your thread for several days, but just now was able to catch up. I got lost in your wonderful screen shots for a while. Just seeing all those beautiful old cars, ones I remember seeing in person (oops, dating myself... ) is half the fun. Those old Mack truck cabs were my absolute favorites.

I really like the SP Widowmaker engines as well. RS-18's?

The route is really looking sharp. I especially like the seafront details. There should probably be a seafood restaurant backing up to the fishing boat piers, haha. Fresh fish catch of the day, anyone?

There are several routes that have pilotable ships or boats. The Cotton Belt by Dave Snow has boats you can drive on a river. The White Pass & Yukon has small fishing vessels that are driveable in the large bay. And, the Sebino Lake route has small fishing vessels and a ferry that are driveable. I'm guessing there are driveable freighters somewhere in the DLS. It would be a nice addition to your route to have an option for pilotable ships coming up to the docks. I've no idea what magic is needed to do that though. I'm still learning so much about everything in this sim.

Thanks again for sharing your progress. Things are looking really nice and the cleanup from the earthquake seems to have gone quickly and well.

Heinrich505