Silver and Gold Membership

I'm also a gold member.

At $12.99 a month it's a good deal because I can't afford the full price, or the outright $70 purchase.

It's much more affordable this way and less scary than the full price.

John, I can't wrap my head around your math here. In less than three months in, with what you pay for the subscription, you could have already owned it.

At $12.99 a month = $155.88 per year, and you still have to keep paying. How is that less than just outright buying it once?

Being retired, every dollar spent on hobbies must be justified by its return. I looked at the outright purchase, it is big money in $AU.
Both the gold and silver subscriptions add to monthly outlays like internet, pay TV etc. and can quickly get out of hand, and if you have to cancel, then goodbye TS19.
My long Trainz journey stops here. I opted for X-Plane 11.

I'm supported by an Invalid's pension and I'm as poor as a churchmouse and I can afford the gold sub every month. It's cheap entertainment for me and around here if you take a friend to a posh coffee shop and buy two coffees you'd have spent more than the cost of the month's sub. Not that I go to posh coffee shops or anything, but I'm sure you get the point of what I'm saying. Possibly my situation is a bit different to some in that I'm largely housebound, I'm not allowed to hold a licence anymore so I don't have a car. I'm not married anymore (Yay! the terrible ogre has gone.). I only buy the most basic cheap clothing that's comfortable to wear and suddenly fall asleep in because that's all I need since I don't leave the house. I don't own a TV because watching TV just puts me to sleep because it's too passive. Should I really want to watch a good movie I'll watch it on my computer. Here in NZ the internet is considered to be an essential economic resource by the government so my unlimited broadband plan is dirt cheap.
As for the 'choose 5' each month most of the time I find two out of five that are worthwhile unless it's a month with all dismals, - I mean diesels. Yes I know things aren't great at the moment with new content coming on, but N3V are working on it and I trust they'll get it sorted eventually. TS2019 is a big shift forward with a lot of new and previously untried ideas being brought into the simulator. As a very very very small player as a content creator I know in my heart that I won't be making anything specifically for TS2019 since trying to understand what's needed makes my brain blue screen and fall over. I'm sure once the situation is more clear and the bugs are all fixed the great ones amongst us who are the best of our content creators will make a move and we will see specific TS2019 content being made. I'm picking it might take about a year though so don't hold your breath. I look on my gold sub as a donation to N3V to say 'keep on going with it', - an expression of faith if you like and on that basis I'm happy to keep paying it.

If I wanted to run locomotives and consists everyday, and get new content, I probably would have bought the whole shebang ... But I am presently building a huge route in TRS2006 format (so that 04, 06, 09, 10, 12 users can use it) and rarely run any locomotives daily/weekly, as I spend all my time in surveyor ... I will be updating my TRS2006 route to TS12 ... so I can run it in T:ANE, and eventually TS19

From those who run trains allot, and are beta testing TS19 advancement, I have heard no negative comments about TS19

Silver and Gold...
:hehe: Sorry, couldn't resist any longer. I think of this every time I read the title of this thread.

Last edited:
John, I can't wrap my head around your math here. In less than three months in, with what you pay for the subscription, you could have already owned it.

At $12.99 a month = $155.88 per year, and you still have to keep paying. How is that less than just outright buying it once?

But it's simple I do not have the cash on hand to pay out $150 at once. I can swing $12-20 but I have medical bills, expensive prescriptions that cost more than anyone can afford after health insurance covers them, funeral expenses for my mom - thanks dad for canceling her life insurance, a mortgage, car insurance, etc. When you're on a fixed income, what was once fun money never goes to fun money and gets spent elsewhere. Back when I was working, I would think nothing of spending a hunk of spending money on a big purchase, but now it's not that way.

If I were to spend the $150 the one time, that would mean I couldn't put gas in my Jeep, pay for meds, etc. I no longer go out to eat, or go anywhere except to doctor's appointments and to the supermarket. Yes it gets that tight at times so spending a bit here and a bit there is easier on the budget.

I know that budgeted out expenses cost more. It's the fact of life. It's only $40 per month for a mobile phone, which I don't have anymore, that works out to $480 per annum. I know that and ditched the phone. There are very few things I enjoy anymore and this is one of them. I'll ride this one until it ends. Like everything in life nothing is forever, and this has lasted longer than expected.

Fact Check: A One-off licence for TRS19 is US$69.99 - NOT $150. But that doesn't get you a First Class Ticket (FCT) for 1 year (@$26.99 for 365 days full price - less during sales). Therefore the initial annual cost would be US$96.98 at full purchase price for both items and just $26.99 p.a. thereafter.
The monthly Gold Pass gets you Game and FCT access included and costs a little more annually in total, but is accessed for a low monthly entry fee of US$14.99. (US$179.88 p.a.) Seems reasonable - plus it adds many other benefits for subscribers, like 25% in-store discounts for payware items and monthly previews of routes, sessions and other assets, plus exclusive preview access to many new offers.
Some people get monthly discounts on the subscription fee 'cos they had already purchased lifetime FCT access prior to taking up their subscription.

I simpathise completely with both Kotangagirl and JCitron... I am retired and living on my pensions ( i'm lucky I have both State and Works Pensions). My only major expense is my Visa Annually. But I am also a Gold subscriber and whilst I am a little dissapointed in the choice of assets each month I will persevere with my sub as I think it will improve in time and it supports N3V

Likewise I can sympathise with those that can not afford to fork out $70 in one go, mind you $70 was the cost for Deluxe TANE for a long time so not sure where the impression that it is more expensive came from! Standard was a cheaper cut down version created during the Kickstarter debacle and I seem to remember was originally just supposed to be a Trainz Driver type version.
For many years now having learned the hard way when younger, by seriously over extending credit, I now only pay for what I can afford, that used to be by saving up for it, not buying on credit, no credit cards or loans here.
Also now on two Pensions, however, I'm in the reverse situation to John in that due to recent bereavements, I no longer have to worry over cash flow issues.

The downside to Subscription as I see it, is My $70 copy will never expire, your $155.98 "rented" ones will expire should your financial situations change, it would be more palatable and fairer IMO if after paying so much you could keep it as a permanent version even if you stopped subscribing.
Bought a Lifetime FCT years ago at a 20% discount which has more than paid for itself, so don't need a so called "free" one. I don't require DLC as already have enough. I primarily Route build and Content Create, so the freebie "loan" items are of no real use to me, so In my case a subscription it is an unwarranted extra expense, which granted I can easily afford, however I simply don't need the stuff and I refuse to pay extra just to be allowed to Beta Test the new features, I find that a bit hard to swallow, given large amount of time I have spent testing both TANE and TRS19 at the expense of finishing my current project...... Probably I'm one of the few who was dead against the subscription model when it was first hinted at for just Multiplayer Surveyor, then the monster sprouted wings and took off, but life goes on. ;o)

I'm a gold member too and not planning to stop that anytime soon. CurrentlyTRS19 is the best Trainz version in my opinion, I am happy with my Gold Membership.

I primarily Route build and Content Create, I refuse to pay extra just to be allowed to Beta Test the new features, I find that a bit hard to swallow, given large amount of time I have spent testing both TANE and TRS19 at the expense of finishing my current project...... <snip> but life goes on. ;o)

I can understand where you are coming from clam1952. When I had read that it was only the Gold subscription members that were now the beta testers, it was bit of a hit to my solar plexus. It is a choice on my part to either subscribe or purchase right out. I did the latter (and also purchased on Steam), so my coin would get added to kitty for the development of Trainz. As I spend most of my time in my surveyor with my wip route, the subscription way was not for me. I personally have nothing against the sub but I do feel I am now an "obsoleted" beta tester because of my preference which I feel pretty sad about.

It was great "meeting" the authors when beta testing and seeing the results of the other testers. I could only do a small portion because of my knowledge, but was impressed with the talent of the authors and the other testers. It was a very cool learning curve and corresponding with some of the devs (whom were/are very patient) was a pleasure to be part of. Sorry if this all sounds a bit wispy.

As clam1952 has said "life goes on" and now my wip route building will hopefully see the light at the end of tunnel.

I personally have nothing against the sub but I do feel I am now an "obsoleted" beta tester because of my preference which I feel pretty sad about.

I strongly suspect that they will still need "non-subscription" beta testers for the next version of Trainz (TRS21) - the one that comes out as a "mainstream release" with the TRS19 "bells and whistles" enjoyed by the "gold-plated set" plus all the new TRS21 data features. Then the process will begin again with new interface features for the "TRS21 Goldies".

for the current subscribers i would just do what you are doing and ignore the ones trying to give dozens of reasons just to buy the sim, as i have stated i could buy the sim at 70.00 many times over but i still prefer the 15.00 to support n3v. do whats best for you and forget what everyone else thinks. just my opinion.

I strongly suspect that they will still need "non-subscription" beta testers for the next version of Trainz (TRS21) - the one that comes out as a "mainstream release" with the TRS19 "bells and whistles" enjoyed by the "gold-plated set" plus all the new TRS21 data features. Then the process will begin again with new interface features for the "TRS21 Goldies".

Yes this could be a possibility alright :) . Oh well, it is what it is.

Back