Trainz - Potential Features List

New features? Make Trainz compatible with Linux, then I will subscribe monthly. Failing that update Trainz so it works with Steam's proton client and this works on Linux that way. I am a full time Linux user and only keep Windows 10 running on a dual boot with Linux to use Trainz. However Dovetail Games Trainsimulator now works perfectly on Linux using Steam Proton client. Would love to see Trainz workin natively on Linux or through the Steam proton.

Did you see this?

We've also added the following items from this forum to the list:
* Linux support (in fact - this one was missed from the list and is almost ready for external testing)

See the post above by Tony Hilliam, N3V Games CEO.

Texture blending. More specifically, the opposite of the present “detail map”. The main texture could be a large 1024x1024 while a second texture can be blended on top, preferably at a smaller resolution like 64x64, which is in essence another texture. Different blending modes can be selected, such as Multiply, and intensity can be adjusted.

EDIT: Unless detail maps can be optimized to be used at 1.0 scale? Normal map for the detail channel isn’t needed so can be very small/not included.

Last edited:
I'd like to see a "cloud storage" sort of option, like Google Drive, where our routes, engines, and scenery assets can be stored and redownloaded at any time. With this feature, we should be able to delete most of the unwanted built-in engines, rolling stock, etc., that clutter up our hard drive space, and be able to download them back when we want them...

Since all the trainz assets are stored as records in a database then the entire database would have to be moved to the cloud. While probably not impossible I suspect that there would be issues such as the available cloud storage space (gigabytes would be needed) and the speed and reliability of your internet connection.

While an interesting idea I don't think it would be a practical or affordable option for most of us.

Fade effect for camera view/Magnification feature for previewing assets in Surveyor

I'm quite new to Trainz, so I apologize if these options already exist within the game (I did do a quick search across the forums for information on both of the following suggestions and came up empty, so I'm going to take a chance and post them)

1) When in camera view mode within the game (which I think you get to by pressing the 3 key), would it be possible to have a quick crossfade effect between the scenes of a half a second or so? I suspect that there may be a significant performance penalty graphics-wise, but if there isn't I think that a smooth fade to the next scene might be more pleasing than the abrupt switch to the next camera view (a choice to turn it on or off would be ideal)

2) When in surveyor mode, I find it difficult to see the details of a potential scenery asset in the small default thumbnail space that's currently provided. As well, for all scenery items except for textures, it appears that you can only view one item at a time. I would like to have the ability to view several items at the same time (similar to the texture choices you have, but taken even further - more like the full window spread you see when choosing your preferred locomotive when you first enter the game, or the option that you have for a full window presentation when choosing your route). Once again, with the choice given to the user as to whether or not they'd like that feature turned on or off.

Thanks,
Michael

I'm quite new to Trainz, so I apologize if these options already exist within the game (I did do a quick search across the forums for information on both of the following suggestions and came up empty, so I'm going to take a chance and post them)

1) When in camera view mode within the game (which I think you get to by pressing the 3 key), would it be possible to have a quick crossfade effect between the scenes of a half a second or so? I suspect that there may be a significant performance penalty graphics-wise, but if there isn't I think that a smooth fade to the next scene might be more pleasing than the abrupt switch to the next camera view (a choice to turn it on or off would be ideal)

2) When in surveyor mode, I find it difficult to see the details of a potential scenery asset in the small default thumbnail space that's currently provided. As well, for all scenery items except for textures, it appears that you can only view one item at a time. I would like to have the ability to view several items at the same time (similar to the texture choices you have, but taken even further - more like the full window spread you see when choosing your preferred locomotive when you first enter the game, or the option that you have for a full window presentation when choosing your route). Once again, with the choice given to the user as to whether or not they'd like that feature turned on or off.

Thanks,
Michael

Those are two great ideas!

The camera options would be setup in Surveyor, under what appears to be a wrench/spanner where the ruler and copy/paste function is located as well. The fading option could be a simple checkbox to enable the fading, and when checked a slider to determine how long. All very simple, I think, without a lot of unnecessary options, which seem to be the way things are done here and require a Master's in CS to figure out. (snark!).

Having a bigger preview in Surveyor, I agree is particularly helpful especially with the higher resolution displays we have today, along with the older-eyes that many of us have. This could be an optional checkbox as well with something like show assets-preview in a separate window, or large preview window. This is particularly helpful with locomotives and associated wagons and passenger cars, and with scenery items with the latter sometimes being the size of ant in some cases and nearly invisible in the preview window. With some assets, the only way to see if they're suitable is to place them and delete them, which is time consuming if not annoying.

The issue I see with this is the preview window is generated from the actual asset-mesh and textures. With a larger window or pick-list similar to the texture picker, this may "take some time" to generate the thumbnails or the asset previews depending upon how many assets are installed. With some of us, ahem..., this can be quite substantial especially if we've been here going on close to 20 years now.

Ive been looking forward to multiplayer surveyor for months. I hope its worth waiting for.

This would be cool. For instance, I like laying track and Highways, but don't care much for adding scenery

Two features that would be good in TRS19.

Dynamic Lighting - Instead of having a light pole with a texture under it to reflect the ground been lighter why not instead have light coming out of it just as we do with headlights.
First Person (FPS) Mode - Have a more detailed experience with a character on the ground walking around, perhaps they could be walking on the footpath to the station?

I agree.

I am also curious what the "Updated Carz" is all about.

I would like to be able to place two different cabins in a locomotive or automotive because there are enough with those characteristics.
If it can already be done with 2019 I apologize.

Javier

After the first gold update to version 99618 I found several bugs:

Update MissionCode Manager v.60 cleared all paths and immediately went into error mode. All updates from "pguy" have been reset to v.58. Only the 'MissionCode Manager' has been reset to version 56.

The new menu is a joke and there are not even all translations available.

From about 110 trains I had to remove 90 locomotives including the DPU's, as I saw in the Session Editor [Driver] only an empty window and no driver I could edit.
Is that a bug or a feature?
Is there a limit to the number of drivers?

From about 110 trains I had to remove 90 locomotives including the DPU's, as I saw in the Session Editor [Driver] only an empty window and no driver I could edit.
Is that a bug or a feature?
Is there a limit to the number of drivers?

That is a feature in TRS2019. :'(
I am collecting my new downloaded rollingstock into a yard map. Today I had to begin a new session after having the issue, you have mentioned, after having placed around 50 consists with locomotives and cars.

Regards
Swordfish

It does happen to be a beta guys, if you don't want problems avoid beta updates and wait for the finished version. Although I'm not on the Gold thing but I would assume they have separated the Streams into beta and non beta? If not that could mean all Gold subscribers get it as a straight update. I believe Tony said it was optional?

. . .
Update MissionCode Manager v.60 cleared all paths and immediately went into error mode. All updates from "pguy" have been reset to v.58. Only the 'MissionCode Manager' has been reset to version 56.
. . .

Hi. I don’t understand what has happened during your update : I have also applied the gold subscription update to my beta test TRS2019 configuration and I have not observed any regression on MCM or EIT installed configuration. And all my routes and sessions work fine the same as before the update.

If for some reason, your configuration has regressed to a previous version of MCM and EIT, this may explain some data has been lost as there as been some data changes between v56 versions and last available version v60 and the script code manages the data changes when upgrading to the new versions but do not manage going back to previous versions.

If you reinstall from DLS all the latest versions and re run a copy of your last route and session backup before the update, you should recover everything with no changes and no problems.

regards.
Pierre.

Trainz Plus download is NOT working and I now have a constant reminder when starting the game to get it, but it fails every time. Hundreds of tries but it won't work. Help desk has advised me to try DLing in administrator mode... doesn't work. This is nuts! I have TRS 2019 (paid the $70 for it)) and have a Gold Membership. But the highly touted Trainz Plus stream doesn't work. I've been computing for 35 years and have gone thru and used all the Trainz versions, 9 through 12, and TANE and have never seen the likes of this. Has the Plus stream been activated? I assume it has not. What surprises me is that are no other complaints about it on this forum. I expect to get results. If not, I will cancel my Gold membership as it will not be of any use to me. A friend has advised me to move to Train Simulator and right now I am tempted. One thing I'm sure of, I know my operating system and my games and I am not at fault. But somebody is at your end.

Disgusted,
dipsydoodle

Trainz Plus download is NOT working and I now have a constant reminder when starting the game to get it, but it fails every time. Hundreds of tries but it won't work. Help desk has advised me to try DLing in administrator mode... doesn't work. This is nuts! I have TRS 2019 (paid the $70 for it)) and have a Gold Membership. But the highly touted Trainz Plus stream doesn't work. I've been computing for 35 years and have gone thru and used all the Trainz versions, 9 through 12, and TANE and have never seen the likes of this. Has the Plus stream been activated? I assume it has not. What surprises me is that are no other complaints about it on this forum. I expect to get results. If not, I will cancel my Gold membership as it will not be of any use to me. A friend has advised me to move to Train Simulator and right now I am tempted. One thing I'm sure of, I know my operating system and my games and I am not at fault. But somebody is at your end.

Disgusted,
dipsydoodle

Welcome to the forums.

What error(s) are you getting? The Trainz plus patches have been OK so far as I've downloaded them so far without issues.

Shane

Back