Trainz - Potential Features List

n3vpolsen

Administrator
The new Gold Class membership option includes a range of different benefits, including early access to upcoming Trainz features. This article explains more about the brand new "Trainz PLUS" feature, and how these new features will be rolled out to our Gold Class members and then become available in future editions of Trainz to all users.

What is Trainz PLUS?

Trainz PLUS is a free update that is available only to our Gold Class members. We plan to release these updates every quarter, with a range of new features, as well as some "in-development" features that can be enabled and tested out by members. Then, every two or three years, these features will be combined into a new “full product” release which will be available in online stores (along with all new content that takes advantage of these features).
The exact number and scope of the individual features included will depend on the amount of work required to develop, test and polish each aspect. As you will see below, there is currently a long list of potential enhancements for Trainz. Some systems are small while others are major updates that will take months or even years to implement.

Trainz PLUS - Q1 2019 Release

We've nearly completed the first of the new features to be introduced, and already begun work on some of the larger tasks to ensure that those "big" features can be delivered as soon as possible. But that also means that this first Trainz PLUS update will include a few smaller updates, along with a number of incomplete "in-development" features. We're still internally testing each of these new systems and will be announcing the features that we will be including in the coming weeks, along with the current development status of each of those features.
We've highlighted some of the currently in-development features in the list below. Not all these will be included in Q1 and, when released, a number of them will certainly only be a preliminary "Beta" implementation. Users will also have the option to enable or disable these Beta features individually.

Note that this list is not exhaustive, and should not be construed as the feature list of Trainz 20xx. It is designed to show you the list of things that are being considered or being worked on, and no doubt a number of these will make it into future versions of Trainz while others will miss out.

Below this list is a link to submit your favourite feature to have it considered for inclusion in a future Trainz product.

• User Interface
    • Unified Driver / Surveyor**
    • Improved Camera Controls*
    • Surveyor Menubar*
    • Surveyor UI Rework
    • Mini-map
    • Hotkeys / Controls
  • Tools
    • Multiplayer Surveyor (Collaborative route building)**
    • Bulk Replace Tools
    • Effect Layer Tools
    • Multiple Tracks / Catenary
    • Track Condition Tools
    • New tools (e.g. lasso)
    • Multi-select tool
    • Procedural building creation
    • Procedural terrain + scenery
    • Ground Data Import (basic implementation)*
  • Environmental Effects
    • Environment Dialog and Controls
    • Saving & Sharing Settings
    • Rain Effects
    • Altitude-based Fog Density
    • Skybox
    • Snow lines
    • Seasonal support (revamped)
    • Dynamic weather
    • Darkened Tunnels
    • Water systems
  • Visual/Reality Enhancements
    • Derailments (PhysX)
    • Train Motion
    • Updated Carz
    • Additional Procedural Tracks
    • Smoke Effects
    • Animation systems
      • Fully Animated Humanoids
      • Passenger loading/unloading
      • Freight loading/unloading
      • Pantographs
  • Train Physics
    • Additional braking systems including:
      • Vacuum brakes
      • EP brakes
      • Twin pipe air (brake distributor)
    • Additional power physics simulation:
      • Diesel mechanical transmission
      • Diesel Hydraulic transmission
      • AC electric sound
      • Diesel Fuel consumption
      • Oil fired steam fuel consumption
      • Non-notched throttles
    • Additional steam support:
      • Smoke relates to power output/throttle settings
      • Dual valve injectors
      • Blowdown/dampers etc
    • Wheelslip
    • Start-up / shutdown
    • Fuel Consumption
    • Handbrakes
    • Driver AI physics
  • Gameplay Enhancements
    • Driver AI overhaul
    • Timetables
    • Passenger comfort
    • Prototypical Car Movement System
    • Controller role
  • Sound Engine
    • Locomotive Sounds Rework
    • Scenery sounds
    • Track sounds
  • Content
    • Better / more user customisation options
    • Content Ratings System
    • Automated Content Performance Ratings
  • Content Manager
    • Picklists
    • User Interface improvements
  • Content Creator Support Systems
    • In-game logging system*
    • Content Foundry (CCP)**
    • Trainz Package Uploader**
    • Fully automated DLC content submissions
    • Documentation / Tutorials
    • Additional Creation Tools
  • Timeline Editor (gameplay-integrated cinematics)
  • Asset Download Systems (managing in-game downloads)
  • Controllers
    • Console Controller Input (Windows)**
    • VR Headset Support (Windows) - Basic system*
    • VR Gameplay support (new game systems enhanced for VR)
  • Trainz Native Interface (allows 3rd party tools)
    • Physics Support
    • Sound Support
    • Surveyor Tools**
  • Game Engine Updates (major systems)
    • Point Lights
    • Deferred Rendering
    • Single-pass Ground Rendering (overhangs etc)
    • Texture Atlasing
    • Metal (MacOS)
    • Vulcan
    • DX12
    • Other Performance Enhancements
  • Ongoing Bug Fixing
* Expected to be complete
** Feature in-development and potentially some time until released for external testing

Something important missing from the list?

The list above has been compiled from a variety of sources, and many items are summarised under some fairly broad topics (e.g. we could list 100 additional surveyor tools).

We also know that there are many great ideas out there, and we're keen to give everyone an opportunity to have their say about additional items that may make it onto this list.

Simply add your Feature Request here.

Last edited:
Likewise a great list that contains many items that have been "haunting" the Suggestion Boxcar threads for many years now. Some, no doubt, will take years still before they appear, if at all.

On the downside, I wonder how long before we get the first "why don't they fix the existing problems first before adding any of this new stuff" post?

Good to see Metal on the list, strange to see Windows only for the VR features Metal is designed to support.

As an european user, and because I like old machines, I often use diesel locos that are supposed to have mechanical transmission.
Today, physics simulation and enginesound are poorly adapted to that type of engine. And thus, I am very happy to see that you have the project to improve all of that.

Is the feature : 'Sound effect/Locomotive Sounds Rework' will include a sound system that will fit the use of mechanical gear box ? I mean, a sound that goes up and down, according to the engine rpm and, consequently, the speed of the train ?

Vincent

Hi Polsen,
Interesting list :udrool: ...

Some questions :
- there are features with :
"* Expected to be complete"
"** Feature in-development and potentially some time until released for external testing"
... and without any asterisk(s) ?? Does it means :
- already complete ?
- just an idea or suggestion, to be engaged later ?

- "AC electric sound" . Do you mean :
- the sound of sinusoïdal current in transformers (ie 50Hz or other frequencies sound) ?
- generally speaking, revamped sounds for electric locomotives, AC and DC ... ?

Cheers,
Philippe

A lot of good stuff on there - well done N3V!

One observation - smoke/steam effects should be influenced by the firing rate as well as by the regulator setting.

All good ideas.
Is the bold below a typo or does Atlasing mean something?
Texture Atlasing

Is reworking the Clutter and TrufFX menu part of the
Surveyor UI Rework ?
As it stands, it is very confusing to figure out what the many parameters actually influence without trial and error feedback.

Looks and sounds like you and the team have been hard at work, great list of improvements, can't wait to see and try them. Keep up the good work and THANKS for a great game, really enjoy it. Tim R

Linux support as former possible TANE Stretch goal has disappeared. And it's Vulkan. With "k" :) And it should be much higher on priority list. Also - saves a lot of extra work to port to other OSes like Metal at a later time.
Lockheed

So exactly how long will none "Gold" subscribers, who still handed over £55 to N3V for the game, expect to wait to see these additional benefits?

Will this not result in a two tier category of users, with those who choose not to hand over money on a monthly basis for "Gold" then not able to enjoy routes or other assets that are not compatible with versions of the game still to receive the updates and improvements?

This has all the hallmarks of repeating the flawed Trainz Classics idea but at least that eventually got rolled into TRS2009, well with the exception of TC3/S&C which we had to pay for again (and several times since ;) ).

"Multiplayer Surveyor (Collaborative route building)"

I would love to see this after being teased for a while. I hope there's some way to use 3rd party stuff with maybe a peer to peer system/option for it. Cause that would be a real game changer.

So exactly how long will none "Gold" subscribers, who still handed over £55 to N3V for the game, expect to wait to see these additional benefits?

Will this not result in a two tier category of users, with those who choose not to hand over money on a monthly basis for "Gold" then not able to enjoy routes or other assets that are not compatible with versions of the game still to receive the updates and improvements?

This has all the hallmarks of repeating the flawed Trainz Classics idea but at least that eventually got rolled into TRS2009, well with the exception of TC3/S&C which we had to pay for again (and several times since ;) ).

Look's like pay to be a Beta tester to me........ Guess that means those of us regular Beta Testers without a subscription are no longer required.

I wonder how Surveyor and content creating features are going to be tested properly? when route and content creators who have purchased the full TRS19 and not the unwanted subscription benefits are now locked out as second class users.

Good way to split the Community by having two tiers.......

Then, every two or three years, these features will be combined into a new “full product” release
Stupidest thing I have ever heard for a computer game.

Bad enough the "what will work in what version" content problem now.

The land of the never fixed beta game.

Harold

Last edited:
Can the "Plus" options be enabled or disabled per install, or is this done globally for all installations?

I ask because as a beta tester, I have multiple installs of current, previous, and testing versions and I don't want my current "production" version to break current assets, or worse fall down completely because a feature has eaten a hole in something that worked previously.

With a "targeted" version preference, or a separate download we can implement a TRS19 - Plus version pointed at a TRS19_TEST_DATA folder so there's no impact on our current active install.

Here's a new thought:
Test Track where we can test out and develop steam-engine especs for steam locomotives.

Oh already promised - I must have missed it.

Bob Pearson

I agree. This sounds like an attempt to pressure non "Gold" members into becoming "Gold" subscribers. Any improvements or updates in TRS19 should be immediately available to all TRS19 users. I elected not to become a Gold member because the products that Gold membership offer do not appeal to me. Primarily, I'm a route builder, and have been one since I first purchased Trainz in 2002. I run trains for test purposes only.

Except for Trainz Model Railroad, I've purchased every issue of Trainz since 2002. The day may be coming when Gold membership or monthly payments may become mandatory like a lot of other software currently available today. When that happens, I will elect to pay the monthly fee.

Respectfully,
Joe

Back