Trainz - Potential Features List

Make sure your download stream is set to "Trainz Plus".

I have three other streams on my list including: "TRS19", "TRS19 Beta" and "Beta Release". The first is probably non Gold or Silver, and the other two are probably old. N3V should probably clean up the streams that appear to be available.

The download should work assuming your Trainz account is authorised and you have a decent Internet connection.

I'm sorry to hear that your patch isn't working, but I can assure you the problem is at your end - all we need to do is to figure out where the differences lie in your setup.

The Trainz Plus stream is definitely working - otherwise no-one could patch. Therefore it leaves us with options such as trying to patch to the wrong version, or you've edited your install and the patch is rejecting yourcurrent install. Or it could be hardware (modem etc) or 3rd party software interference (e.g. anti-virus).

Try the following:
1. Run the Patch Installer.exe from your TRS19 install folder
2. Ensure your patch stream is set to Trainz Plus
3. Ensure the path that your patch is pointing to is the correct version of TRS19.
4. If you get any error messages, if they are connection related, a Retry will continue where it left off.
5. Report and errors seen by taking a screenshot.

In addition to my Trainz Plus not working

I just typed a long paragraph in reply explaining things at my end but it disappeared while posting. Nice.... even the forum is screwed up. I'm done with this

I just typed a long paragraph in reply explaining things at my end but it disappeared while posting. Nice.... even the forum is screwed up. I'm done with this

Probably a "time out" issue with the vBulletin software. I learned a long tme ago that if you are going to post a long "thoughtful" reply then type it up in a text editor first, save it then paste it into a forum post.

I DO appreciate your work but...

I'm sorry to hear that your patch isn't working, but I can assure you the problem is at your end - all we need to do is to figure out where the differences lie in your setup.

The Trainz Plus stream is definitely working - otherwise no-one could patch. Therefore it leaves us with options such as trying to patch to the wrong version, or you've edited your install and the patch is rejecting yourcurrent install. Or it could be hardware (modem etc) or 3rd party software interference (e.g. anti-virus).

Try the following:
1. Run the Patch Installer.exe from your TRS19 install folder
2. Ensure your patch stream is set to Trainz Plus
3. Ensure the path that your patch is pointing to is the correct version of TRS19.
4. If you get any error messages, if they are connection related, a Retry will continue where it left off.
5. Report and errors seen by taking a screenshot.

Tried all the above and much more, no luck. Reinstalled Trainz 2019, a waste of time. I get no errors but one: "Failed to load installation data". Have made sure permissions are in effect for both Trainz 2019 and the patcher exe, no effect. All roads are open regarding the internet but the problem with N3v persists. Any NEW ideas?
Dipsy

No error, no code, just the "Failed to load" in the Patcher box. In other words a no connect.
I've owned 10 versions of Trainz and this is a first. By the way, you have a great website!
Thanks....
Robert

Last edited:
I assume you have the gold subscription? I don't, however the current patch is only a beta not the Plus release just yet and looking at the relevant threads appears to need more work on it, so doubt you are missing anything just yet. Might want to check this latest thread https://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?152084-Trainz-Plus-Beta-100044-(mac)-and-100064-(PC)

Couple of ideas:

Double check the patcher is actually pointing at the correct install of TRS19 and not TANE or TRS19 or any other version, that's caught me out a couple of times.

Check you actually have sufficient space on your C drive to unpack the patch, even if you are installing to another drive, as it will I believe unpack into your temp folders first.

May be an idea to clean out your temporary folders in case it's getting full up with failed patches?

If Win10 and not using Windows defender but some other AV try disabling it while you install.

Yes, I guess I'm being impatient on the Plus but I'm working on four routes and my time is limited.... 85 years old with health problems. And since these extras will help with my agenda...
Got all your ideas covered, done them all with no good results. Security and internet access is no problem. I routinely download and install many gigs from everywhere. Everywhere but N3V it seems.
Anyhoo, I'm a stubborn man and I believe I deserve what everyone else is getting, kinda irks me.

Thanks again,

Robert

I've just had another thought. Do you get any User Account Control requests whilst running the patcher? Also thank you for your comment on my website :).

Shane

I agree you need help on this. There's no reason for it not to work other than some technical difficulties. Being stubborn helps as it means you won't give up too easily! ;)

Let's check a few system things outside of the ACL, aka Access Control List, because this these can cause symptoms similar to what you're seeing. Being a retired computer technician, I have found it's usually the stupidest and easiest things that cause the most problems and we need to look for the things we've been ignoring. As a tech, I've done it myself while troubleshooting a problem. I've spent hours going in circles while the blast thing was right under my nose!

So...

On the drive where you are installing TRS2019, how much space do you have?

Have you had any hardware issues, not counting video drivers, that might have caused a system freeze?

Have you tried putting your data and program outside of the normal places?

Data goes into that gawd awful C:\users\%username%\App Data\Local\N3V Games\TRS19\Build x3438xsdf09sdf\ etc., which makes doing a lot of things quite difficult.

When prompting to install, edit the line that says C:\Program Files\N3V Games\TRS2019 and try C:\TRS2019.

When it comes to the data path, (Install path), try C:\My TRS19_Data instead. If you have another hard drive all that's all the better.

But before you do this, let us know how much space you have, and other system details. It could be a bunch of things. We can also help you run utilities by giving you suggestions if you need to use them to clean up the system and check things out.

Last edited:
Yes I do get User Account popups even though the User directories and N3V directories are set to full control by everyone and the Trainz EXE and Patcher EXE are set to be run by the administrator.
I find that kind of weird. Firewall is set at lowest. But it always ends up with just the message in the Patcher box "Failed to Load Installation Data", nothing else. Takes just a minute displaying Time Left 2 minutes-5 minutes 30 minutes etc. The bar just barely moves then BLAM! The message.

I'm very much disturbed by this as you can tell and I'm stubborn. The Help Desk was not living up to their name when they kept insisting the fault rested with me and not their servers. As a geek of 35 years, I know that servers fail. They say that everyone else has no problem with getting the Plus package if they are a Gold member (that reminds me of a movie comedy). I am a member and I own my Trainz 2019. I have a hunch that means something.

Robert

Thanks for the new idea, will try it today. I will move it today. sometime. That will give you a break too lol. BUt I draw the line at yet another install. I've moved it before and was thinking that my TANE is mighty close to my TRS2019 in the appdata\local\N3V Games. And, I'm kinda wondering why TRS2019 doesn't have its own directory like TANE in the aforementioned Users files.

Will let cha know... thanks again.
Robert

If this is on Win10, check that in settings > apps & features, make sure it's not reverted to allow Apps from the store only and is set to Turn off App recommendations.

Thanks for the new idea, will try it today. I will move it today. sometime. That will give you a break too lol. BUt I draw the line at yet another install. I've moved it before and was thinking that my TANE is mighty close to my TRS2019 in the appdata\local\N3V Games. And, I'm kinda wondering why TRS2019 doesn't have its own directory like TANE in the aforementioned Users files.

Will let cha know... thanks again.
Robert

Please let us know how this works for you. As I sit on the edge of my seat waiting for the news...

The reason for the split data location came out of requests from the user community. We found it truly cumbersome as we edited content or manipulated our data, so having it outside the program directory and allowing us to place it elsewhere was very important and a welcome change from the previous setup.

Their choice of placing the data where it is "supposed to go" on a Windows-based system is based on guidelines from Microsoft. This user path has its advantages and disadvantages as you can imagine. The other reasons too are due to data security changes to Windows and other operatings systems regarding placing data in the program directory, and also this creates a more unified path for data making this easier for N3V to write for multiple operating systems such as Mac OSx, and at some point a Linux flavor (TBD). In the latter case, N3V simply substitutes the Microsoft Windows location for the one specified by Linux and Mac OSx.

Moving the data outside of the program directory also has its advantages if you have a separate hard disk because the data is not only easier to access, but also it's easier to backup and it's safer too should there be a system drive crash. My setup has my data on my E: drive in a folder called TRS19_data while the program is placed in the normal location on my C: Drive.

From a data mangement and security standpoint, this latter issue is first and foremost since programs can be reinstalled, but data cannot always be replaced easily. Should a system drive go south, so be it, but taking out the data with it isn't really bad. This doesn't mean we shouldn't back up our data drives, however.

Anyway good luck Robert.

I got her done with some difficulty. Did a complete reinstall of TRS2019 in the directories of my choice, both main and data. Worked well at first except the Trainz Plus patch didn't. Back to square one I'm afraid. Also, a few glitches and slow-downs plus random losses of my own content. Decided it was a no-go, reinstalled again in the Program Files and User directories. Everything is working good except.... you know.

Thanks for your help, made a good try but in retrospect I'm pretty sure now that the problem is with N3V and not my machine. I'll just wait, although my stint in the US Army taught me to hate it. But just when will this silly game stop?

Thanks again
Robert

The problem could very well be on their end. Have you tried their other connection besides the US one? What this might do is give you better throughput and see if that helps.

Also try patching using their patch utility directly instead of via the program. I've had better luck at times doing it this way.

Ensure you are picking the correct stream and Trainz version. I've had the patcher point to something unrelated and couldn't update. It had me baffled until I looked carefully at the parameters.

As you've noticed, I'm not giving up on this yet. We'll beat this puzzle one way or another. :)

The problem could very well be on their end. Have you tried their other connection besides the US one? What this might do is give you better throughput and see if that helps.

Also try patching using their patch utility directly instead of via the program. I've had better luck at times doing it this way.

Ensure you are picking the correct stream and Trainz version. I've had the patcher point to something unrelated and couldn't update. It had me baffled until I looked carefully at the parameters.

As you've noticed, I'm not giving up on this yet. We'll beat this puzzle one way or another. :)

How can I try another connection? I know of no way to connect except via FTP, which was blocked by their server. The Patcher doesn't offer any other way to connect, that I know of.
My targets and streams are set too. No others will be accepted. The parameters are set. Believe me, I hacked many sites way back when and this is, in my opinion, unhackable. Change of subject, A bit of history here --- Originally I purchased this TRS2019 outright and signed up for Gold membership to get faster Download Station access and the Vault. But then after a while, I saw that even owning the program, I was stuck like everyone else in a subscription and cancelled my membership. And wouldn't you know.... the Trainz Plus showed up and I tried getting it. Contacting the help desk was told I had have a Gold membership to do so. I again joined and paid and here I am, still trying to get the Plus.

Anyway, this seems to be a problem that nobody can solve, but I thank you again, only you and one other forum user have bothered to help, besides a few others who keep going thru the basics and a help desk that is apparently stuck in their assertion that they are not at fault. Since I have put many hours into improving my routes using TRS2019 and since we can't revert back to T:ANE with these 2019 routes I am faced with many many hours of work to start over. Had I known this......

But hey, we learn by our mistakes.

Robert

If you can manage a re-install without issues before patching it looks to me like the cancelling and then restarting Gold has messed up or confused your permissions at N3V's end, hopefully someone will come along and sort it out. Don't give up just yet.

What build are you on at the moment? should be 98952 for the non plus PC version.

Back