Trainz - Potential Features List

Good morning, what exactly are the surveying tools you mention?
For those who create real routes, like me, it would be very important for TRS2019 to include a tool such as Microdem or Transdem, even if it is payware.

Yes I'm aware and I commented about it then also. Doesn't change the fact that the only subscription model posed in pre-release was the multiplayer surveyor (which I agree with Paul probably wasn't shown a ton of interest, I myself probably wouldnt/wont utilize it) and despite many users stating their disdain of anything subscription-based, we ended up with this. We already had first-class tickets to satisfy N3Vs subscription desires.

Pware, free enterprise has to do with government control and competition, doesn't mean a company does whatever it wants and consumers just pony up the cash and say it's great? The free choice is to go to a competitor offering a better option which decisions like this may lead some to do. I was just calling out the condescending marketing talk, as something paid for is not free. But that's as much a reply I'll give for someone implying that service packs and hotfixes to have a program work as it was originally intended/advertised SHOULD be paid for separately. Not to mention, though I don't mind a $70 USD price tag on a train simulator, it is definitely a premium price already, especially when their main competitors product is currently well under half that.

First Class Tickets is done for a different reason from memory - that helps to cover the server costs for the Download Station. It's more likely that the current memberships help cover the ongoing development costs that N3V have (more so than one-off purchases).

Shane

Shane

• Trainz Native Interface (allows 3rd party tools)
    • Physics Support
    • Sound Support
    • Surveyor Tools**

The idea of 3rd party Surveyor tools interest me very much but I get the feeling that that is not what’s being implied here.

Yes the inclusion of Surveyor Tools under the heading Trainz Native Interface is interesting. TNI is, so far, associated with hardware addons such as controller boxes and (if sound support is in the list) then perhaps audio hardware as well. I could speculate here and mention possibilities such as:-
  • game controllers as Surveyor (e.g. texturing) tools which would be far more ergonomic and less hand cramp inducing than the mouse
  • perhaps a direct interface to Roland's excellent TransDEM software (I may be dream'n there)

TANE and TRS19 beta testers also had to buy TANE and TRS19 before they could become beta testers.
Incorrect, the closed Beta did not require you to own a copy of TRS19, that only happened after early access was released and the Open Beta started which did require TRS19 to be paid for either as a full version or a Subscription version, so how come those of us not on subscription but paid $70 up front were allowed to continue testing? The precedence was set.

Nothing wrong with the list of future improvements or those in the Elite class who can afford it getting stuff early, I'm talking about getting stuff properly Beta Tested and not done as an all comers free for all ;o)

What I would like is to drive a train spot something wrong, get out of driver, fix it and continue in driver.

What I would like is to drive a train spot something wrong, get out of driver, fix it and continue in driver.
or at least be able to place a marker at that spot that I can find later in Surveyor. As much as I validate a route in Surveyor, there always seems to be a few things that are only obvious when in Driver.

Ive been looking forward to multiplayer surveyor for months. I hope its worth waiting for.

Yes the inclusion of Surveyor Tools under the heading Trainz Native Interface is interesting. TNI is, so far, associated with hardware addons such as controller boxes and (if sound support is in the list) then perhaps audio hardware as well. I could speculate here and mention possibilities such as:-
  • game controllers as Surveyor (e.g. texturing) tools which would be far more ergonomic and less hand cramp inducing than the mouse
  • perhaps a direct interface to Roland's excellent TransDEM software (I may be dream'n there)

I'm not exactly knowledgable on things like these but hopefully this could include features that could procedurally combine scenery assets together, suppose automatic/procedural signal cabling and things of the sort? Maybe some tools that will help ease the repetition, such as instead of placing, moving, and orienting five objects of a "kit", automatically align the objects together so that you could place it as one piece.

One feature that I would like.

A means of tagging a freight car when setting up a session so that in Driver Chuck & Joe (the locomotive crew) know where the car has to go and what they have to load and unload. And it could be multiple destinations with multiple commodities.

Two features that would be good in TRS19.

Dynamic Lighting - Instead of having a light pole with a texture under it to reflect the ground been lighter why not instead have light coming out of it just as we do with headlights.
First Person (FPS) Mode - Have a more detailed experience with a character on the ground walking around, perhaps they could be walking on the footpath to the station?

Two features that would be good in TRS19.

Dynamic Lighting - Instead of having a light pole with a texture under it to reflect the ground been lighter why not instead have light coming out of it just as we do with headlights.
First Person (FPS) Mode - Have a more detailed experience with a character on the ground walking around, perhaps they could be walking on the footpath to the station?

If I'm not mistaken, I believe your lighting update is what's referred to as 'Point Lighting' under the Game Engine Update section of their list. Long overdue and as it's listed as a 'major system' without the in-development asterisk next to it, I don't suppose we'll be seeing it anytime soon unfortunately.

Though I don't remember what keyboard keys get you there, there is a basic first-person view in Surveyor. I'm not sure why it's not implemented in Driver as well, I really wish it would be. As we are viewing them on computer screens and trains in the game tend to be viewed from at least some distance, they can feel a bit on the small side to me and lose the grandeur they possess in the real world. Having a first-person view with the camera down lower and able to 'walk' up to them and look up would help that to a degree.

How about:

Not attaching to any driver when loading up in Driver. What I mean is just load and like Surveyor be able to move around easily with no driver, driver commands loaded, or anything like that.

In Surveyor have no selection available just like when we first load up. After selecting something, whether it be a topology tool, something in the textures, or an asset, we are then stuck with those still selected even when the menu is closed. It would be nice if there was a cancel-button somewhere to deselect one of the tools. There's nothing like having selected delete baseboards then go off moving about and then pressing the wrong mouse button only end up deleting a baseboard in error.

My biggest wish: I'd love to see the extremely outdated (from earliest version of Trainz) sound system being updated to 2019 standards. This counts for the trains, environment sounds and tracksounds.

1. The engine sounds and rolling sounds of trains should be updated to modern standards. (sound by speed, instead of throttle notches)
2. The tracksounds should be updated. You should be able to place trackmarkers 'welds' and if you drive over them, you'll hear a realistic clickety clack sound.. In that way you can choose for yourself whether you'd like jointed track or modern welded tracksound. Also, at junctions you can place one or more of these markers so you can create realistic junction sounds for older or modern junctions.

I really hope N3V will finally start listening to their costumers because renewing the sound system has been asked for years now and N3V never gave it any attention rather then saying it's a future thing. Some communities are dying (Dutch community already DEAD) and the Polish community is starting to decrease (a lot still play TS2010). I also started playing some DTG Train Simulator 2019 again... Because although it's a buggy and laggy game with overpriced DLC: It has a far more realistic sound and driving physics.

Plase N3V, just listen to the wishes of your customers one day. If you do, we probably don't even need DTG Train Simulator anymore. ;)

Thanks for all your feedback. We've received around 50 new suggestions through the online suggestion form which we will work through.

We've also added the following items from this forum to the list:
* Linux support (in fact - this one was missed from the list and is almost ready for external testing)
* Disable tools option in Surveyor
* Proper Dual Gauge Track support
* Steam locomotive support in Test Track

Most of the other suggestions are already planned or included within one of the items on the list. If your feature isn't mentioned, please create a new entry using the suggestion form link above.

In answer to some of the points raised here:

Can the "Plus" options be enabled or disabled per install, or is this done globally for all installations?
>> They can be enabled and disabled at will per build.

Any improvements or updates in TRS19 should be immediately available to all TRS19 users.
>> Perhaps you would like us to throw in all the DLC as well? And the 10 or 25% Trainz Store discount, and free FCT?
I'm sorry for the sarcasm, but N3V Games is a business. This means that features that cost us money to develop need to be paid for by the customers. That's how a business works in a capitalist society.
The cold hard facts are that there are a group of people who are happy to pay a small amount each month to add more value to their Trainz experience.
Others aren't happy with paying the extra, and therefore, they don't get access to the extras we offer.
There is a choice you can make, just like whether you fly business or economy, or whether you walk, catch a bus or catch a taxi to the airport.
If you don't see value in the Gold or Silver Class options, then that's fine. But please don't expect to get the exact same things as those paying more for the privilege.

Good way to split the Community by having two tiers.......
>> Actually the Community already has half a dozen tiers - TRS2006/2010/12/TANE/TMR/TRS19.
Compatible content is segregated by trainzbuild number.
Most of the new features in Trainz Plus will be about usability and functionality rather than creating incompatible content.
Later on, if a feature we introduce will not work in 4.6 then we will update Trainz Plus to 4.7 (which will be no different to the step from TANE vs TRS19).

I should also make a few other points clear.
- "Completed" features will be part of an official update
- "In-development" features will be optional
- Some "in-development" features such as the MPS feature, may be provided free while in testing and then become available as an optional extra when completed
- We will be inviting additional beta testers (who have proven themselves to be reliable and effective) to join various testing phases

Last edited:
I wasn't aware that steam loco support in test track had ever been removed from the list.

Thanks for the update Tony and good news for Linux users.

So exactly how long will none "Gold" subscribers, who still handed over £55 to N3V for the game, expect to wait to see these additional benefits?

Will this not result in a two tier category of users, with those who choose not to hand over money on a monthly basis for "Gold" then not able to enjoy routes or other assets that are not compatible with versions of the game still to receive the updates and improvements?

This has all the hallmarks of repeating the flawed Trainz Classics idea but at least that eventually got rolled into TRS2009, well with the exception of TC3/S&C which we had to pay for again (and several times since ;) ).

On top of that, pay for a Gold subscription and SOME of these features MIGHT end up in Trainz.

So on N3V's track record and i have been here since 2001. I pay for Gold and the features i want, may or may not be added, sometime in the next few years, or NEVER.

I had to laugh when i saw the list, rain effects, dark tunnels and vacuum brakes :hehe: :hehe:

Mike.

On top of that, pay for a Gold subscription and SOME of these features MIGHT end up in Trainz.

So on N3V's track record and i have been here since 2001. I pay for Gold and the features i want, may or may not be added, sometime in the next few years, or NEVER.

I had to laugh when i saw the list, rain effects, dark tunnels and vacuum brakes :hehe: :hehe:

Mike.

What??? You are back??? .... After promising us all that you were done, gone and finished.

Well that did not last for long - but you do make me laugh and I was actually starting to miss you (but don't tell anyone I said that)!

New features? Make Trainz compatible with Linux, then I will subscribe monthly. Failing that update Trainz so it works with Steam's proton client and this works on Linux that way. I am a full time Linux user and only keep Windows 10 running on a dual boot with Linux to use Trainz. However Dovetail Games Trainsimulator now works perfectly on Linux using Steam Proton client. Would love to see Trainz workin natively on Linux or through the Steam proton.

Back