Why is there a lot of graffiti seen on American freight cars today?

RR's are a private corporation, that tries to make a profit moving freight ... they don't have all the money in the world, to spend on hundreds of night vision CCTV cameras, all over a yard that is 5 miles long, and is 36 tracks wide ... most yards are pitch dark, pitch black ... lit up yards make it easy for vandals to see what they are defacing without the use of flashlights

Have a cheap-o wifi cameras on my house that see fine in the dark... and I can watch from anywhere on my phone... Everyone is getting these now and they are dirt cheap. How much money does RR's lose in stolen and destroyed goods?

I don't a pony in this race... I'm just saying... Technology now allows this and it's cheap. I mean... who would have guessed that most every police officer would now be waring a body cam plus they have a dash cam in their car. Just one example.

You forget that RR's do not have to do anything that the public peanut gallery says that they "Should Do" ... They do what they want ... and sometimes they do nothing, and cut costs ... as that costs them less to spend no money at all ... and insurance pays the loss, or it is written off as a loss ... You also forget that RR's are in this business for the short haul ... Make money today ... Because tomorrow may not exist at all ... At any second life on Earth could be wiped out in 19 minutes, more now than ever in history ... and the economy is on the verge of collapse ... they are not rolling in dough ... and could care less what the peanut gallery says

If you don't appreciate graffiti covered railcars ... Go out and become a RR cop ... Or become a court Judge

Last edited:
Cascaderailroad.... Just casual conversation... not everything a person mentions is his/her life's mission..... you ever just sit around the train layout and "talk."??

Not really ... I'm sort of like Spock, on Star Trek: "Jim ... That's highly illogical ... what the rats butt difference doe's it make that the Klingons graffiti tagged our USS Enterprise NCC-1701D while we were napping" ? "It still goes fast" ... "It's just more colorful now" !

Ha... I understand... I do a lot of worthless "pondering" out loud... likely the result of 39 years of marriage... my wife likes it when I ramble... ;)

Back