Derail Valley

Vern

Trainz Maverick
Apologies if a little insensitive posting this in view of the recent CP tragic event, but anyone else got this and playing it?

What are your thoughts? Obviously WIP and the budget for me doesn't run to an Oculus so running on a 2D normal monitor. Kind of like ATS or ETS2 but with trains. Still very early access but only £15.49 on Steam (how EA should be priced, eh Tony) and much work to be done. However IMHO this is what interactive industries should have brought to Trainz and it gets frustrating every time I submit to Suggestion Boxcar they look at a strategy expansion, the post never appears.

Well worth a look and support IMHO.

Well I have it and it's really cool in driver mode in VR but that's about all it really is. When you set it up in walking mode you can actually walk around inside the cabin but make sure you have the room for that. When I first was learning it I launched in walking mode without realizing it while sitting at my desk and had to get up and walk over to the other side of the room to use the driving controls lol.

LouP

I think that they should change the name of the game in light of the derailment that killed three crew members. I don't have VR googles so how is game play on 2D monitor?

Well I think the game was conceived long before the tragic incident in Canada, but there are a few comments on their FB page that the name is a trifle insensitive.

That aside, even in beta it runs quite well, features like a save game have yet to be added so it's not really possible to do any of the longer haul runs, yet.

Runs fine for me on a 2D monitor, the only caveat is as yet, no KB commands for the loco controls, you have to look and use the mouse which can take your attention away from what's happening outside.

Overall I like it (apart from reservations about the name) and think it has great promise.

I am hoping that Trainz gets into a VR option one day soon. Now that would be really awesome. The VR experience is not something that can be described, you have to experience it. I have it hooked up to my flight simulator and there, you are IN the cockpit.

LouP

From my POV, I hope N3V are looking at the gameplay in DR and thinking about how they could incorporate this into Trainz. As I noted above, I've tried to post a suggestion several times that they revisit Greg Lane's and John Banks' roadmap so far as a strategy element is concerned. Would it take that much to introduce an optional economic interface to take advantage of all those interactive industries? Imagine running one of Phil(skene)'s layouts with added supply chain interest, working to build up your wallet to unlock additional locos etc., etc.

The steam loco is a bit frustrating. I couldn't spawn the loco and tender next to each other so had to use a diesel to push them together. Got the fire lit and steam up (in about 10 secs!) but once under way unless you use the lean keys there is no forward view to speak of and the boiler and fire seem to require constant attention. Running at no more than 25 km/h I then had a derailment for absolutely no obvious reason so just frustrating really.

IMHO the developers really need to either tone down the derailment algorithm or provide an option to disable it in all but the most severe circumstances. The emphasis needs to be on shifting the cargo, perhaps making up a long train out of the several loads at your start point then running round the map and dropping off, maybe even shunting and picking up additional traffic. Could be a really fascinating and absorbing game but not when it derails you on a whim.

Back