Does your mountain/forest layout have a sawmill?

JonMyrlennBailey

A coal mine industry is great for a desert layout but every American forest/mountain railroad needs a logging/lumber facility.

This is my newest addition: Thompson Sawmill. In fictitious Squatch County in northern mountainous/forested Idaho panhandle.

Like a physical model layout running around the walls of a building, addition benchwork can be built later on and protrude outward toward the center of the floor to form a "peninsula". A customer siding or branch line can be added.

A short line from the mainline to the lumber facility. This facility has its own SP SW-1500 switch engine or it is on lease from the railroad. Other details including a fueling point for sawmill vehicles and equipment (chainsaws, forklifts, tractors, cranes, etc.) A parking area for mill employees. A lumber yard office shack. The animated forklift content. Logs can be brought in by train or freight trick and lumber can leave the yard using both modes of transportation as well. There is a flume chute that is no longer in service with a sign that says "Retired Flume". I decided not to mess with a water flume on my layout. Too complex. The flume spline pillars would get in the way of vehicle traffic in the yard. Gravel texture is covering the grounds to keep the area mud-free. The short line goes about 1/2 mile up a 2.50% grade to the mainline in the hemlock/pine forest.

The lumber facility is a forest clearing with hemlocks sparingly placed around the perimeter so as not to obstruct the table side view of the facility.

2djrtwz.jpg

Last edited:
There is a drivable log boat, and I toyed with the idea of making a really long and twisting log flume waterpark type ride down a steep mountain, with an old slash burner, and a log dump pond :cool:

<kuid2:124060:15032:2> Log boat
<kuid2:124060:55001:2> Log Boat interior

@JCitron here is what I found on DSL,,,,,,,One is Scenery, the other is Functional.......

<kuid2:564419:1184:1> Hyns sawmill in Linghed
<kuid2:564419:1052:1> Linghed Sawmill

Last edited:
Ben Dorsey made a slew of logging-related content along with is beautiful timber trestles which go along with that kind of operation.

Besides Ben's content, there's a saw mill by Bjornl (I think that's his username), that might work as well. This is a gorgous model which fits anywhere in the US or elsewhere in the north country.

What can I say? Since, at least, Trainz 2004, almost everybody used that object in any scenario. sorry but is true. Probably is time to build a new sawmill? Cheers.

Most sawmills would only occupy a very small narrow swath of land, as "real estate" is not free

Slugsmasher also had allot of great lumbering assets

Back